Fort Riley is an award-winning premier Division-level training installation. Its mission is to provide the best in support for the Warfighters and their families. The Garrison works to achieve this through well-being services, infrastructure, environmental and fiscal stewardship, and other services that enhance the Warfighters’ ability to accomplish the mission and provide a quality living and working environment that is second to none.
On order, 1st Infantry Division deploys, conducts full spectrum operations as part of a Combined Joint Task Force or designated force headquarters, transitions to follow-on operations, and on order redeploys.
Fort Riley Garrison earned the 2011 Army Communities of Excellence (ACOE) Bronze Medal. The post was selected from a field of 69 eligible, and was one of only six installations to be so honored. This marks the first time since 1998 Fort Riley has earned this distinction. In the ACOE award cycle for 2012, the Garrison was recognized as an Honorable Mention.
Fort Riley is in the Central Flint Hills Region of northeastern Kansas, one hour west of Topeka, the state capital, and two and a half hours west of Kansas City. The region is comprised of Clay, Dickinson, Geary, Morris, Pottawatomie, Riley, Saline and Wabaunsee counties, and boasts a variety of thriving communities, with the closest to Fort Riley being Junction City, Ogden and Manhattan. The area is primarily rural in character with an outstanding public school system and consortium of colleges and universities. For these reasons, the Fort Riley area and Central Flint Hills Region is considered a great place for raising children, as well as a place for military retirees and their families.
There are approximately 19,400 active duty service members assigned to Fort Riley, while more than 24,700 family members, nearly 20,000 retirees and over 8,500 civilian employees live in the region and/or work at the post. These numbers do not include all the National Guard and Reserve that come to train at Fort Riley.
QUICK REFERENCE INFORMATION
Those Soldiers and family members in need of immediate emergency relief assistance:
• Hand Carry Important Documents:Make sure you have all important papers and documents with you. Don’t pack them in your household goods.
• Army Emergency Relief (AER):For emergency financial assistance for Army personnel in times of unforeseen circumstances or emergencies that require immediate attention. During normal duty hours, contact AER at Fort Riley, 785-239-9435. AER financial assistance for emergency travel is available during non-duty hours, by calling the American Red Cross toll free at 877-272-7337.
• American Red Cross: The American Red Cross is available only through AER. Soldiers and families must be prepared to verify the need for emergency financial assistance, a family medical emergency, or to deliver a birth notification. Contact toll free at 877-272-7337 for 24-hour service and the Armed Forces Emergency Line.
• For in-transit emergencies, contact Division and Fort Riley Operations Center, Replacement Company, or U.S. Army Garrison, Building 208, Main Post, 785-239-2119. To reach the 1st Infantry Division Duty Officer/NCO, Building 580, Custer Hill, call 785-239-2222.
• Lending Closet: To obtain basic household necessities to get you through until your household goods have arrived. Assistance is available for families who are affected by PCS (to or from Fort Riley) in the form of basic household items on loan for 45 days while awaiting your shipment, or before you have cleared the installation. Calling ahead for available times to checkout or check-in the items is highly encouraged. Current hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Lending Closet is at Army Community Service on Custer Hill at 7264 Normandy Drive. Additional contact information is 785-239-9435, DSN 856-9435 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to use the Army Community Service Lending Closet, you will be required to bring in your ID card and a copy of military orders.