Last Updated :

Planning Your Move

This guide is a joint effort of the armed forces stationed on Hawaii, designed to provide you with the information you need to know prior to and after you arrive on island that will help make your transfer and stay here as pleasant and smooth as possible.

The Military Installations websiteis essential to assisting you in “Planning Your Move.”


The key to a smooth transition is your sponsor, who can help arrange your TLA accommodations, provide transportation from the airport, check you in to your new command and provide you with general information about the community and on-station facilities well in advance of your move. Ensure you contact your sponsor as soon as possible before leaving for Hawaii. If you have not received a sponsor, go to

Other sources of information include the Military and Family Support Center at your current command. You may also visit the Housing and Lodging website for information about family and unaccompanied housing programs for JBPHH.

Hotel Reservations

It is advisable to make reservations well in advance. Your sponsor can help you, although you will be required to finalize your reservation with the hotel of your choice. Hotel accommodations are usually plentiful except during the high tourist seasons (December through March and May through August), so make your reservations early. You must check with the Navy Lodge first for availability prior to reserving commercial hotel; call 800-NAVY-INN (628-9466). Accommodations must be Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) approved.

Temporary Lodging Allowance

TLA is an allowance to help offset the cost of living in hotels during your PCS move. TLA is based on the per diem rate and paid in 10-day increments. TLA is not paid in advance. It is paid after filing a completed claim with receipts and endorsements. It’s advisable to have at least $1,500 in traveler’s checks to meet immediate off-base living expenses. TLA is authorized for all command-sponsored military personnel arriving on Permanent Change of Station orders pending availability of privatized family housing or pending completion of permanent living arrangements. TLA commences the date your PCS orders are endorsed. It is imperative that you have your orders endorsed with the time and date reported as soon as possible after arriving on island. You will not be reimbursed for any days of temporary lodging prior to the report date endorsed on your orders. TLA room reimbursement will be at the Navy Lodge rate when a Certificate of Non-Availability (CNA) is not provided with the TLA claim.

Temporary Lodging

Navy Lodge: Since 1969, Navy Lodges have been providing clean, comfortable and affordable lodging in “The Spirit of Hospitality” to active-duty Navy Personnel, retirees, reservists and their families. Navy Lodge Hawaii upholds these high standards in its 150 air-conditioned suites and rooms at Ford Island. Located at the corner of Saratoga Boulevard and Yorktown Boulevard, your home away from home will include amenities such as free local telephone calls, free satellite TV with free HBO, a hair dryer, free high-speed Internet in guest rooms and a kitchenette. For reservations, call 800-NAVY-INN or visit

Advanced Application for Housing

CNIC Housing Early Application Tool (HEAT), available at, is a great starting point. Please know that submitting an advance application does not add your name to the housing wait list, however, it does enable a shorter, more convenient housing appointment and helps facilitate communication with you during your pre-arrival contact with the Housing Services Center.

Unaccompanied Housing

Hawaii Regional Unaccompanied Housing (UH) manages and operates all Navy and Air Force Unaccompanied Housing on the island of Oahu. This includes facilities at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Wahiawa Annex and Hale Kela Moku Housing in Marine Corps Base Hawaii. With more than 5,800 beds located in 63 facilities, Hawaii Regional UH is one of the Navy’s largest lodging operations for unaccompanied and visiting DOD personnel in the Pacific. For single Sailors (E-4 and above) and PCSing in, please contact Unaccompanied Housing administration at 808-473-1203 for information on obtaining a statement of nonavailability.

Shipment of Household Goods

Accompanied members are authorized to ship their full weight allowance but should be advised that homes in Hawaii, both on and off base, may be small compared to the U.S. mainland. Please note that privatized housing does not come with a washer or dryer.

Large Appliances

All privatized Navy family housing units are equipped with a refrigerator, range, dishwasher, washer and dryer. Privatized Marine Corps family housing does not automatically have washer and dryers provided; advance planning and coordination for full tour support is strongly recommended. Your yard care responsibility in privatized Navy family housing is limited to only the small privacy fenced areas; a weed-eater is helpful, but a lawn mower isn’t essential.

Unaccompanied Shipment

You are authorized an unaccompanied baggage shipment. This shipment should be limited to clothing, linens, dishes, towels, cooking utensils and other housekeeping items. You may also ship cribs, playpens, baby carriages and articles necessary for the immediate care of your children. Small radios, portable televisions, sewing machines and small appliances may also be shipped. JBPHH Housing and Lodging program has temporary loaner furniture for those assigned on PCS orders and awaiting the arrival of their shipment. The loaner furniture includes beds, dressers, dining and living-room sets and lamps. Please visit www.move.milto learn more about household goods shipments.

Automobile Shipments

Each service member is authorized to ship one privately owned vehicle at government expense.

Check with your current Household Goods officer for current information regarding shipping times and locations. You must have permission from the lien holder to transport the vehicle to Hawaii. If the vehicle is co-registered, you must also show that person’s permission to ship the vehicle. If you are shipping a privately owned vehicle (POV), it will require approximately 35 days from the East Coast, 32 days from the Midwest, 33 days from the Southeast or 25 days from the West Coast to reach Oahu. All personal vehicles must be safety inspected and registered within 30 days after arrival on the island.

Satellite Vehicle Registration Office-Pearl Harbor

The City & County of Honolulu Pearl Harbor Satellite Vehicle Registration Office is located at Club Pearl Complex, 915 North Road, Building 1314, JBPHH. The office is open to all military personnel, their family members and civilian personnel that have base access.


All vehicle transactions. Transactions are cash or check only.

Initial registration for vehicles previously registered in another jurisdiction (i.e. out of state, out of country, foreign)

Out-of-state permit-vehicles will retain out-of-state plates but be issued a vehicle permit to be displayed on rear bumper.

Transfer of ownership.

Replacement of Hawaii plates and/or registration emblems.

Duplicate Honolulu titles and registrations.

Ordering of special plates, veteran plates or organizational plates.

Junking and storage.

Telephone.................................. 808-473-1487

Hours: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, closed on all state and federal holidays.


Quick Jump

Military Friendly Businesses
© 2017 - MARCOA Media