Eighth Coast Guard District
500 Poydras St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
The Eighth Coast Guard District, headquartered in New Orleans, covers all or part of 26 states throughout the Gulf Coast and heartland of America. It stretches from the Appalachian Mountains and Chattahoochee River in the east to the Rocky Mountains in the west, and from the border between the U.S. and Mexico and the Gulf of Mexico to the Canadian border in North Dakota. Part of the Department of Homeland Security, the men and women of the Eighth District are vital in protecting the 1,200 miles of coastline and 10,300 miles of inland navigable waterways in their area of responsibility.
The Eighth District is home to two of the nation’s busiest ports: New Orleans and Houston. More than 2 million barrels of oil and 1 million tons of cargo are imported daily. Seventeen of the 40 busiest ports by tonnage are in the Eighth District. Additionally, more than 65 percent of the nation’s liquefied natural gas activity and 11 percent of crude oil refining capacity are in the Port Arthur/Lake Charles region alone.
There are more than 6,500 oil- and gas-producing wells and 130 mobile offshore drilling units in the Gulf of Mexico that keep the district’s Marine Safety program gainfully employed. Five of the top seven fishing ports in the country are in the district. They account for nearly 40 percent of the catch of U.S. commercial fishermen. Protecting America’s borders is the key to ensuring the free flow of commerce and the safety of our citizens.
There are approximately 4,400 active-duty and Reserve billets, 4,300 auxiliarists and 350 civilian positions assigned to the Eighth District. The Eighth District is also home to: four air stations; 15 search and rescue stations; 14 aids-to-navigation teams; three Bessel traffic services; and five Long Range to Navigation (LORAN) stations. Surface assets include: two 210-foot medium endurance cutters; seventeen 87-foot patrol boats; 19 river tenders; one 225-foot buoy tender; two 175-foot coastal buoy tenders; and three 64-foot self-propelled barges. There are also three Coast Guard Auxiliary regions in the Eighth District’s area of responsibility, New Orleans, St. Louis and Louisville, Kentucky.
For more, go to www.uscg.mil/d8.
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans
200 Hendee St.
New Orleans, LA 70114
The headquarters of Sector New Orleans is in the newly constructed Federal City on the Westbank of New Orleans in Algiers, a state-of-the-art complex that will attract thousands of federal and private-sector workers during the next 10 years.
The area of responsibility (AOR) for Sector New Orleans encompasses three search-and-rescue stations, four 87-foot patrol boats, three marine safety units, two buoy tenders and four aids to navigation teams. The Port of Greater Baton Rouge, Port of South Louisiana, Port of New Orleans, Saint Bernard Port, Port of Plaquemines, Port Fourchon and the Louisiana Offshore Oil Port (LOOP) are all part of Sector New Orleans. South Louisiana is home to the busiest port complex in the Western Hemisphere, with approximately 6,000 vessel arrivals annually. The Intracoastal Waterway also cuts through Sector New Orleans’ AOR. Originally envisioned to carry 8 million tons of cargo when it was built in the 1920s, the Intracoastal Waterway now carries 120 million tons of freight per year.
There are approximately 275 active-duty and Reserve members and 41 civilian personnel assigned to Sector New Orleans.
Coast Guard Base New Orleans
1790 Saturn Blvd.
New Orleans, LA 70129
The history of Base New Orleans begins with the establishment of the Lighthouse Service’s New Orleans Depot in 1934 next to what was to become the present-day Industrial Canal lock. In 1939, the Lighthouse Service was integrated into the Coast Guard, and in 1949 that facility was officially designated a Coast Guard Base. In 1966, a base machine shop was built, and construction of the administrative building and barracks began the following year. On July 1, 1987, the base was designated as Support Center New Orleans under the Maintenance & Logistics Command Atlantic.
On May 29, 1996, Support Center New Orleans became Integrated Support Command New Orleans (ISC). In 2003, the Naval Engineering Support Unit and Electronics Engineering Support Unit (ESU) were placed under the authority of the ISC.
In August 2005, Hurricane Katrina severely damaged the site and forced the ISC and its tenants to relocate. Two of the original buildings from the 1934 New Orleans Depot remain on the site in what was the ISC’s Industrial Division portion of the base. The ISC temporarily relocated to the Louisiana Convention Center in Alexandria, Louisiana, immediately after Katrina struck, then moved back to New Orleans in December 2005, utilizing vacant spaces at the east bank of the (then) Naval Support Activity on Poland Avenue.
In September 2006, the ISC moved to its new base as a tenant of NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility (MAF) in New Orleans East. This modular building facility was intended to be temporary in anticipation of a permanent one being built on adjacent property within the NASA MAF.
On May 12, 2010, the new complex ribbon-cutting ceremony opened the permanent facility now known as Base New Orleans. This $89 million facility sits on 26 acres and represents the largest single facility contract in Coast Guard history. Base New Orleans is responsible for financial, personnel, work-life, housing, industrial, facilities engineering and medical and dental support to the more than 900 personnel assigned to the region’s various units.
The nearly 86,000-square-foot administrative building houses offices, a medical unit, dental facilities, a galley and classrooms for the Gulf Regional Fisheries Training Center (GRFTC). The GRFTC trains law enforcement agents from the Coast Guard, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and state and federal fish and wildlife agencies from Brownsville, Texas, to Key West, Florida. There are also berthing space, a gym and a Coast Guard exchange.
The 57,000-square-foot industrial building is home to an engine and electric shop, an air conditioning and refrigeration shop, a carpentry shop and a welding shop. The industrial building also has an additional 7,200 square feet of covered storage. Waterfront facilities consist of a pier, a wharf and a floodwall gate, which is used to transport vessels and buoys to the industrial building.
James Diamond Army Reserve Center
5010 Leroy Johnson Drive
New Orleans, LA 70126
The James Diamond Army Reserve Center is named after a World War II Medal of Honor recipient from New Orleans. It is on the former Camp Leroy Johnson, a World War II training base, hospital and airfield.
More than 50 full-time Soldiers, civilians and contractors support more than 600 Army Reserve Soldiers in 12 different Army Reserve units at this location.
Units at the Army Reserve Center are:
1192d Deployment Distribution Support Battalion 504-284-2623
215th Public Affairs Detachment (Mobile) 504-284-2642
4010th United States Army Hospital 504-284-2634
441st Transportation Company 504-284-2645
469th Financial Management Support Center 504-284-2688
54th Military History Detachment 504-284-2651
7232nd Installation Medical Support Unit 504-284-2636
787th Sanitation Detachment 504-284-2647
Area Maintenance Support
Activity 97, Branch Maintenance Activity No. 1 504-284-2680
Legal Operations Detachment
2nd Legal Operation Detachment 504-284-2604
22nd Legal Operation Detachment (Trial Defense Services) 504-284-2604
150th Legal Operation Detachment (Military Judge Detachment) 504-284-2604
Retention NCO 504-284-2622
Area 8, 6th Battalion, Army Reserve Career Division 504-284-2622
Jackson Barracks Louisiana National Guard
6400 St. Claude Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70117
The mission of Jackson Barracks is to serve as a power projection platform and command and control center for emergency operations, as well as improve the readiness posture of units, other tenant organizations and state and local partners. Jackson Barracks provides an excellent quality of life for Soldiers, Airmen, employees and their families through outstanding support of all training and operations.
The historical Jackson Barracks Complex, including additional acreage added since its original construction in 1834-35, occupies 100 acres of land in Orleans Parish, extending from the Mississippi River to a mile north of St. Claude Avenue, and from the St. Bernard Parish line on the east to Delery Street on the west. Jackson Barracks is the home of the Louisiana Military Department and headquarters for the Louisiana National Guard. Prior to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, it also provided armories for 14 Army and Air National Guard units.
Early Years, 1834-1900
Jackson Barracks was built under the administration of President Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) to house the federal military garrison defending the city of New Orleans and the Lower Mississippi Valley. The barracks was originally named the New Orleans Barracks or simply the United States Barracks. The name was changed to Jackson Barracks in 1866 in honor of Gen. Jackson, hero of the 1815 Battle of New Orleans and the seventh president of the United States.
The need for a “Garrison of Troops” in the event of an insurrection and a training post for U.S. troops stationed at Mississippi River forts prompted the U.S. government to make plans for the barracks as early as 1823.
After the War of 1812, the U.S. established a policy of national power that was very well accepted. It was resolved that never again would the navy of an enemy be able to land raiding parties in U.S. ports and harbors to loot and plunder, burning towns and cities as the British did in the War of 1812. All ports and harbors were to be protected by a system of fortifications. In this area Forts McComb and Pike were constructed below the city of New Orleans. Fort Jackson on the west bank of the Mississippi River below the city was also completed, and Fort St. Phillip on the east bank was improved. In addition to Jackson Barracks being constructed as a training post for the troops of these forts, it served as a supply base and rotated troops to and from the isolated locations. The Post Magazine at the barracks was also built in early 1837 to store reserves of ammunition for the four forts’ heavy artillery.
In 1833, a 67-acre strip of land to build the barracks was purchased by the U.S. Government for $31,500. This land fronted the Mississippi River and was three miles below the city of New Orleans.
Congress appropriated $180,000 for the new barracks, and after much debate, chose a site along the Mississippi River about four miles downriver from the city and only a mile from the site of the Battle of New Orleans. Lt. Frederick Wilkinson, a 23-year-old West Point graduate, designed and supervised construction of the barracks beginning in February 1834 until their completion in December 1835. Built on a 300-by-900-foot track fronting the river, the barracks were designed to house four companies of infantry plus hospital and support facilities. The buildings were surrounded by a 12-foot-high brick wall reinforced with round flank towers at each corner. Two of the original towers remain and are used as distinguished visitor quarters. Total construction cost was $182,999 for a complex that was one of the finest of its kind in the U.S.
World War I changed the barracks from a tranquil and picturesque old post into an active processing and training center. In 1918, new wooden buildings were erected, including one for use by the YMCA, as well as mess halls, horse stables, additional hospital wards and troop quarters at a cost of $60,000.
Following World War I, Jackson Barracks was rescued from extinction when the state requested that the post be turned over to the Louisiana National Guard. On Feb. 1, 1922, the state assumed control of the installation, with Jackson Barracks becoming the home of the famous Washington Artillery (141st Field Artillery Battalion) and the 108th Cavalry with its many horses.
In 1936, Jackson Barracks was the recipient of a major restoration and new construction project that built a modern three-story headquarters building (Fleming Hall), restored and updated the historic buildings, built new homes for the staff, constructed new cavalry facilities and refurbished support facilities.
Jackson Barracks also played a prominent role in New Orleans’ Mardi Gras tradition. Rex, the acknowledged King of Carnival, would send an order to the commandant to receive him. King Rex would then arrive at the barracks by boat to be welcomed on the parade ground by a battalion of infantry and the regimental band. In keeping with Mardi Gras tradition, the post commander would formally hand over control of the city to King Rex and then escort him into the city to begin his reign of frivolity and merriment.
During World War II, New Orleans became a major port supporting the war effort throughout the Americas and in both theaters of war. In accordance with the lease agreement, most of the post facilities and grounds were used by the U.S. War Department to operate a port of embarkation. However, the headquarters building, residence structures, a warehouse and a few garages were retained for use by the Louisiana National Guard. After the war, Jackson Barracks reverted to state control and once again became the home of the Louisiana National Guard.
Jackson Barracks Today
In 1976, the architectural and historic significance of Jackson Barracks was recognized and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district of national significance. With the exception of only one building and two corner towers that were lost in 1912 when the Mississippi River levee was constructed in its current location, the post retains its original antebellum layout and architectural integrity. Jackson Barracks is arguably the finest complex of antebellum architecture remaining in the U.S. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the historic buildings were carefully restored and returned to their original function for military use.
In 2005, Hurricane Katrina brought severe flooding throughout New Orleans, with St. Bernard Parish and the Lower Ninth Ward, including Jackson Barracks, particularly hard-hit. All buildings at Jackson Barracks were destroyed or damaged by storm flooding with water depths ranging from 3 feet at the levee to almost 18 feet at the northernmost part of the barracks. The Louisiana National Guard headquarters was temporarily relocated to Camp Beauregard while a herculean effort to rebuild Jackson Barracks was underway.
Using construction money provided by Congress and administered through the National Guard Bureau as well as funds provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Construction Facilities Management Office designed a new master plan for the redevelopment of the barracks. New Readiness Centers for the Joint Force Headquarters, the 141st Field Artillery (Washington Artillery) and the 139th Regional Support Group were reconstructed as well as the Adjutant General’s Headquarters. In addition to these facilities, reconstruction continued on other support facilities, temporary lodging and the historical housing on Jackson Barracks. The Louisiana Cottages were built to provide additional housing on the barracks for Guard personnel, in particular those affected by the storm. At the same time, funding was obtained to renovate the historic garrison buildings. The new construction continues the architectural design and ambience of the historic garrison buildings, resulting in one of the most attractive National Guard installations in the country.
For almost 175 years, Jackson Barracks have survived war, the ravages of time, flooding and numerous hurricanes. With the completion of the construction of the Jackson Barracks Military Museum Complex, the post’s unique and distinguished history will be showcased for future generations to view and enjoy. Today, the Jackson Barracks restoration reflects the original design and heritage envisioned for the installation. As the headquarters for the Louisiana National Guard, it serves as an enduring monument to the citizen Soldier, the military and the nation.
Today, Jackson Barracks boasts a 110-acre complex, troop facilities, two Readiness Centers — the 139th Regional Support Group and the 1/141st Field Artillery Battalion — a joint forces headquarters building, the Adjutant General’s building, multiple billeting and residential facilities, a post exchange and more.
For more information on the Louisiana National Guard, visit their website.
Marine Corps Support Facility Marine Forces Reserve
2000 Opelousas Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70114
Marine Corps Support Facility located in New Orleans contains the tenant commands of Marine Forces Reserve and Marine Forces North.
MARINE FORCES RESERVE
Marine Forces Reserve is ready to AUGMENT, REINFORCE AND SUPPORT and are always prepared for the fight tonight.
The Marine Forces Reserve augments and reinforces active Marine forces in time of war, national emergency or contingency operations, provides personnel and operational tempo relief for the active forces in peacetime and provides service to the community. It remains an integral part of the Total Force Marine Corps and continues to maintain a high level of operational experience as it serves side-by-side with its active component counterparts. MARFORRES staff will be trained and educated to the highest levels, provide rapid response when called upon and be ever-ready to alleviate the intense personnel and operational tempo of active forces in peacetime.
MARFORRES has four major subordinate commands:
- 4th Marine Division prepares and provides capable ground combat element units as a sustainable and ready operational Reserve to augment and reinforce the active component with force for employment across the full range of military operations.
- 4th Marine Aircraft Wing provides the immediate and sustained augmentation and reinforcement of the active component with an operational Reserve wing under a total force construct.
- 4th Marine Logistics Group serves as the intermediate logistics provider to MARFORRES to field and provide ready augmentation and reinforcement capabilities to gaining forces, and support other missions as directed.
- Force Headquarters Group provides command and control of force-level Selected Marine Corps Reserve units and the Marine Corps Individual Reserve Support Activity, in delegated support of Commander, MARFORRES’s mission to provide Reserve component units and individuals to augment and reinforce active forces for employment across the full spectrum of crises and global engagement.
Marine Forces North executes antiterrorism program and force protection responsibilities; plans for the use of USMC Forces and advises on the proper employment of USMC Forces; coordinates with and supports USMC Forces when attached to USNORTHCOM within USNORTHCOM’S area of responsibility in order to conduct homeland defense operations and provide defense support to civil authorities.
Marine Corps Band New Orleans
Since Nov. 10, 1775, precision and adaptability have been the hallmarks of all Marine Corps units. Marine Corps Band New Orleans is no different. The band is dedicated to excellence and committed to providing America with a glimpse of the Marine Corps’ proficiency and versatility.
Marine Corps Band New Orleans was established Oct. 1, 1978. Under the operational control of the commanding general, Marine Forces Reserve and Marine Forces North, the unit has an authorized strength of 50 active-duty Marines stationed aboard the Marine Corps Support Facility in New Orleans. The band supports all units of the 4th Marine Logistics Group, 4th Marine Aircraft Wing, 4th Marine Division and Force Headquarters Group. Additionally, these Marines are often called upon to perform in support of Marine Corps Recruiting Command initiatives and community relations programs.
The band is composed of a ceremonial and concert band, jazz combo, and brass and woodwind quintets. Each year, the musicians of the band travel throughout the United States entertaining more than 6 million people as they perform in more than 280 concerts, parades and ceremonies. The members of the band are basically trained riflemen, fulfill all annual Marine Corps physical and combat fitness requirements, participate in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program and, when directed by the commanding general, serve as part of a security element in conflicts and exercises around the globe. There are several members of the current ensemble who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan and the principle conductor also served in Desert Shield/Desert Storm.
The band is proud to be located in the historically and culturally significant city of New Orleans. They frequently perform in a variety of local events and, when they travel throughout the country, they take every opportunity to share the spirit of the Big Easy with its audiences.
New Orleans Military and Maritime Academy
425 O’Bannon St.
New Orleans, LA 70114
The mission of the New Orleans Military and Maritime Academy (NOMMA) is to educate high school students, regardless of background or previous school experience, to fully achieve their personal and academic potential through the acquisition of core knowledge and the skills of analysis, problem-solving, communication and global responsibility.
The Military and Maritime Academy provides an educational environment based on a model of self-discipline that fosters positive behavior, builds self-esteem, instills personal responsibility, creates accountability and teaches ethical decision-making. The academy provides a safe and effective learning institution with a learning environment that is conducive to the educational and overall well-being of students.
The academy engages student cadets in learning experiences and activities that will enable them to exceed Louisiana state academic goals and tests and to prepare them for postsecondary education. The academy develops and improves student cadet skills in the areas of leadership, citizenship, character development, self-discipline, communication, group dynamics, team building and related areas. The academy structures the educational experience so that that student cadets gain the ability to think logically and to communicate effectively.
The New Orleans Military and Maritime Academy believes that the purpose of education is the development of skills, concepts, knowledge, processes and attitudes necessary for students to become responsible, productive citizens. The academy also recognizes the characteristics that are unique to each individual and will provide a process for development and expression of each student’s innate potential and talents.
A standards-based managed curriculum model ensures that graduates received the learning experiences necessary to develop those skills and qualities essential to success in higher education and in the workplace. NOMMA provides a college preparatory curriculum. The curriculum is STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) — focused, and NOMMA offers four Jump Start graduation pathways in the fields of cyber engineering, maritime, business management, and digital media. Jump Start is Louisiana’s program for career and technical education designed to allow students to attain industry-valued credentials in order to graduate with a career diploma; the program prepares students to continue their education after high school while earning certifications in high-demand industry sectors.
The model is based on the following beliefs:
- All students are capable of achieving at higher levels in learning core academic knowledge provided by formal schooling.
- Schools, in partnership with parents and the community, have the responsibility of controlling the conditions of success.
- Schools can maximize the learning environment for all students through explicit and clear objectives, high expectations for all students and a continuous, balanced assessment of student learning.
- The instructional process can be adapted to improve learning.
- Successful student learning must be based on providing meaningful experiences to ensure maximum student achievement.
Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps
All students at NOMMA participate in the Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officer Training Program (JROTC) forming the Corps of Cadets. This mandatory program continues throughout their time at NOMMA, creating a unique and structured learning opportunity for highly motivated students who desire a distinctive educational experience. Established by the National Defense Act of 1916 and expanded by Congress in 1964, the JROTC program operates within a disciplined military framework to train student cadets in leadership and motivational skills that will serve them during their school years and throughout their lives.
For more information, visit www.nomma.net or call 504-227-3810. The academy is located on the Westbank of New Orleans aboard Federal City and serves grades 9-12.
Navy Federal Credit Union
Navy Federal Credit Union has two locations in the New Orleans (Westbank) area to serve you: 9850 Highway 23 (on Highway 23 near the main gate of NAS JRB New Orleans) in Belle Chasse; and in the main parking facility in Federal City Town Center (next to the Marine Corps Support Facility) at 501 O’Bannon St., Suite 110, New Orleans. Both can be reached by calling 888-842-6328.
Greater New Orleans Council of the Navy League
The Greater New Orleans Council of the Navy League was founded in 1949. The Navy League has three missions: to enhance the morale of active-duty personnel and their families; to inform Congress and the American public about the importance of strong sea services; and to support youth through the Naval Sea Cadet Corps and Navy Junior ROTC.
Membership is open to those not currently serving on active duty. Reservists must suspend their membership each year if returning to active duty. Spouses and family members of active-duty members are eligible. No prior military service is required to be a member of the Navy League.
The Navy League is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) educational and advocacy organization that supports America’s sea services — the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and United States-flag Merchant Marine. The Navy League is a military service organization, rather than a veterans’ organization, and are trusted civilian partners of the sea services, supporting their mission, their personnel and their families.
For more information and to join the Navy League or to participate in their activities, call 504-522-8946 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on the Naval Sea Cadet Corps, Eisenhower Squadron, located at NAS JRB New Orleans in Belle Chasse, email the commanding officer, James Gonzales at email@example.com.