2020 Military Discounts: Car Rentals, Flights, Hotels, and More
Veterans Day, and all the parades, parties, and “thank yous” that go with it, only comes once a year. While a lot of businesses confine their offers aimed at the military community to November 11th, the week around it, or the month as a whole, plenty of others offer year-round military discounts. If you’re looking to save lots of money on quality products, there are plenty of places you can go 365 days a year. Here are a whole bunch of great ones to get you started.
Airline Discounts for Military
- Delta allows active duty military personnel two to three (depending on ticket type) free checked bags when traveling for personal reasons and up to five when traveling on orders.
- JetBlue offers 5% off their base fare rates for all active military members in addition to bag waivers. And veterans can sign up for their Veterans Advantage program that provides that same discount on tickets to over 80 locations.
- United also has a Veterans Advantage program available to all military, past or present. Signing up grants access to 5% off select flights for up to eight travelers.
- Alaska offers five checked bags, which can include one overweight bag up to 70 pounds, to all active duty members. Dependents can also take advantage of this discount as well, but only when traveling on orders.
- Hawaiian allows any active duty military personnel to check two bags for no extra charge and those traveling on orders to check up to four.
Military Car Rental Discounts
- Alamo offers a range of discounted rates for military personnel, veterans, and dependents. And if you’re travelling on official orders, they don’t tack on any extra fees you might have to fight for reimbursement on after the fact.
- Budget participates in the Veterans Advantage program and offers up to 25% for all active, reserve, veteran, or Guard personnel.
- Avis is a participant in Veterans Advantage as well and offers the same caliber of discounts as Budget.
- Enterprise, whose founder was a WWII Navy veteran, offers 5% off for military personnel whether they rent for official business or leisure.
- Hertz lets you rent a car for just $5 a day if you’re on orders and offers great discounted prices to any military personnel renting for unofficial travel.
Hotels With Veteran Discounts
- Wyndham has a rewards program for all past and present members of the armed forces that can save you 15% or more when you book with any of their hotel chains.
- Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG), which owns a number of chains like Holiday Inn, Kimpton, and Crowne Plaza, offers discount rates for the entire military community. Discounts are available for all active duty, reserve, retired, and veteran members of the armed forces of the United States as well as those of our Canadian neighbors.
- Motel 6, which already lets kids and pets stay free, offers 10% off for active duty or retired military at every one of their over 1,400 locations.
- Hilton offers per diem rates for any personnel traveling on orders but, even better, they have a 10% off military family rate to any active or retired personnel (and dependents) perfect for vacations.
- Comfort Inn, another participant of Veterans Advantage, offers 15% off their business and upper-midscale lodgings to those who sign up.
Food Discounts for Military
- Outback Steakhouse offers 10% off to all service members, past or present, almost all year long. The exception is on Veterans Day when you can get up to 20% off at participating locations.
- Applebee’s, known across the military community for their free meals on Veterans Day, has a 10% discount for active duty and veterans the rest of the year as well.
- Lone Star Steakhouse offers 10% to military and vets all year long, but they go the extra mile by upping that to 20% every Monday.
- Cracker Barrel, the countrywide chain of combination general stores and comfort food eateries, offers military discounts at most locations at the manager’s discretion. Typically you can get between 20% and 30% off.
- IHOP (or IHOB, depending on who you ask when) offers up to 20% off, depending on location, for military personnel. And that applies to both pancakes and hamburgers.
- GovX is known far and wide as a favorite retailer of outdoor and tactical gear for the military, law enforcement, firefighting, and emergency medical communities. And with stuff from literally hundreds of brands at discounts up to 50% off, it’s no wonder.
- Kohl’s offers 15% every Monday for all in-store purchases by current or ex military, including family members, with valid ID.
- My Exchange is the digital wing of the physical exchanges (PX, NEX, MCEX, or AFEX) on most military installations. Setting up an account there, available to all military personnel and veterans, lets you take advantage of their low prices wherever, whenever.
- Nike offers 10% to all active, reserve, retireds, and veteran military members. You can register and shop online or flash your ID card in any physical Nike store at checkout for the same deal.
- Oakley Standard Issue is Oakley’s site specifically catering to the military. Currently serving personnel and veterans alike can set up an account and access lowered prices on all their products.
These sites we’ve linked to here are by no means the only places to go for great year-round deals open to us military types. But they are definitely some of the best ones, both in terms of the available products and the size of the discounts they offer. So what’re you still doing here? Go out and save some money on travel, grub, and goods.