1. Information
  2. Motor Vehicles

Motor Vehicles

Last Updated :

Registration & Licensing

Airmen assigned to the 97th Civil Engineer Squadron drive in a convoy during a Prime Base Engineer Emergency Force exercise


Oklahoma State law requires you to have sufficient liability insurance and a valid driver’s license in order to operate a vehicle. The term “vehicle” generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Further, your vehicle must be properly registered. Even though you are in the Military, you may be required to register your vehicle in-state and obtain an in-state license within a few months of moving. Access complete information on insurance, driver’s licensing, and where and how to register your vehicle by visiting the State Department of Motor Vehicles website.

State Laws

You and your passengers must always wear seatbelts while driving, you will be ticketed and issued heavy fines if seatbelts are not secured. State law requires that all children under 60 pounds be properly restrained in child seats. Some states also require younger, smaller children to sit in the back seat.

Motorcycles and their operators are subject to special laws. If you own and operate a motorcycle, you must comply with those laws. Visit the State Department of Motor Vehicles website for more information.

Many States and local jurisdictions have strict laws about the use of cell phones and other digital devices while driving. Research these laws on the State Department of Motor Vehicles website. Tickets will be issued and fines assessed for violating these laws. Play it safe and always use a “hands free” device if you must use a cell phone or other PDA while driving. Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide.

Base Regulations

Traffic -- Oklahoma traffic laws apply on Altus AFB. Seat belts are mandatory for all occupants of vehicle. Effective 1 November 2000 Oklahoma has modified it's child restraint law and children age 5 to 12 years of age will be required to be protected by either a child restraint system or a seat belt. The law also states that all passengers under the age of 13 traveling in any type vehicle must be in a seat belt, no matter where they are seated. This includes farm tag vehicles.

Drinking and Driving -- There is a new aggravated DUI law which requires that a convicted drunk driver having a blood or breath alcohol concentration of fifteen(0.15) or more shall, in addition to criminal penalties, be punished by a mandatory minimum 28 day inpatient treatment. In addition they will be under a minimum one year supervision which will include periodic testing and aftercare at the defendant's expense. They will also be subject to 480 hours of community service after they complete their treatment and they will be required to put an ignition interlock device on their vehicle.

Questions concerning base and local traffic regulations should be directed to the Security Police Forces Control Center at 580-481-7444/7709.

Vehicle Checks -- All vehicles entering or leaving Altus AFB are subject to search.

Restricted Areas -- All restricted areas are bounded with a red line and are located only on the flight line. Others such as Command Post are clearly marked and have locks.

Crime Stop -- Crime stop on-base is located in building 130 or call 580-481-6444.

Oklahoma Vehicle Registration

Proof of insurance is required to register a vehicle in the State of Oklahoma. The first time registration tag fee for a military non-resident will be approximately $52.50. With a non-resident military affidavit (obtained from your orderly room) the renewal registration fee thereafter will be $22.50.

If purchasing a new vehicle, excise tax is 3.25% of the total delivered price of the automobile. There is no military exemption for the excise tax. If a member purchases a car overseas, they will be required to pay the excise tax on that vehicle upon initial registration in the state of Oklahoma unless you can produce an affidavit showing you have previously paid the tax.

A member may only keep their overseas plates for 30 days after arrival in Oklahoma, however some exceptions do apply. You may call 800-522-8165 for any questions on the exceptions. Oklahoma does not recognize  international driver's licenses. Members can apply early for tags if all documentation, title and proof of insurance are included in the request.


© 2020 - MARCOA Media