Location: Offutt AFB is located ten miles south of downtown Omaha in Bellevue, Nebraska, just six miles south of Interstate 80, just off US Hwy 75. Offutt Air Force Base is home of the 55th Wing, the Fightin' Fifty-Fifth, which is the largest wing in Air Combat Command and the second largest in the Air Force. Offutt is a beautiful community situated near the Missouri River in the rolling hills of southeastern Nebraska. Offutt AFB homepage.
Cost of Living: Compared to the rest of the country, Bellevue's cost of living is 9.1% lower than the U.S. average.
Base Operator: 402-294-1110, or DSN 312-271-1110
- Military - 7,023
- Dependents - 12,291
- DoD Civilians - 2,834
- Other Civilians - 1,065
Area Population: Omaha metro: 904,421; Bellevue: 53,936
Child Development Centers: The Child Development Center (CDC) at Offutt has a waiting list. To get your name on the list before arrival, got to Military Child Care.com
Family Child Care approved homes are available. FCC homes provide quality child care for children from 2 weeks to 12 years of age. Call 402-294-9016/9017.
Schools: Children residing in base housing attend Bellevue Public Schools, the fourth largest school district in Nebraska. Three elementary schools are located on base and run by Bellevue.
Other local school districts include:
- Papillion/LaVista School District
- Omaha Public Schools
- Plattsmouth Community Schools
- Ralston Public Schools
- Westside Community School District
- Millard Public Schools
Youth Programs: The Offutt Youth Center offers a program of activities for children in three age categories: Junior, ages 5-8; Pre-Teens, ages 9-12; and Teens, ages 13-18. The center offers a spacious state-of-the-art 27,000 square foot facility which houses two gymnasiums, two high tech computer labs, snack bar, and game/activity rooms for pre-teens and teens. Call 402-294-5152.
Airman and Family Readiness Center: Airman and Family Readiness Center,402-294-4329
Housing: Privatized Family housing, managed by Rising View, has three housing areas at Offutt which include:
- Capehart Housing -- Capehart privatized housing is located two miles west of Offutt AFB and offers a variety of housing styles for Junior NCOs, Senior NCOs, Company Grade Officers, Field Grade Officers, and Senior Officers.
- Coffman Heights Housing -- Coffman Heights is privatized housing located on the base and offers a variety of housing styles for Junior NCOs, Senior NCOs, and Senior Officers.
- Fort Crook Historic Housing -- Historic privatized housing is located in the center of the base. The Historic Housing consists of two housing areas: NCO Row and General's Row.
Please call the Rising View Leasing Office at 402-991-9840 or visit the Rising View websitefor additional information regarding privatized housing.
Employment: There are many job opportunities on the economy surrounding Offutt AFB. The Omaha Labor Area, which covers four counties in Nebraska and one county in Iowa, has excellent opportunities for employment, ranging from entry level to senior management jobs and from manual labor to high tech. There are civilian jobs on base. For job opportunities on base, visit the Offutt Human Resources office website. The unemployment rate is 4.5%. The median household income is $65,611.
- Support Services Squadron: Recreation at Offutt AFB includes arts and crafts, bowling, auto hobby, recreation center, golf, gym, tennis, swimming, outdoor activities, camping, fishing, and stables.
- Commissaries: 1 large size commissary, 402-294-6782
- Exchange System: 1 main exchange, 1 mini mall, shoppettes; 402-291-9100/ 9101
- Financial Institutions on base: Credit Union, SAC Federal
Medical Services: Ehrling Bergquist Clinic provides medical services to eligilble beneficiaries enrolled in TRICARE Prime. All other beneficiaries are seen on a space-available basis. There are no emergency services at the Ehrling Bergquist Clinic. There is no Acute Care Clinic and patients are seen by appointments, no walk-ins. Appointments can be made by calling 402-232-2273.
- Personnel coming to Offutt are encouraged to make temporary lodging reservations as soon as possible. Remember, even if you have a reservation you MUST call Billeting at 402-294-3671 or DSN 312-271-3671, 24 hours prior to your arrival to confirm your reservation.