Shortly before the end of World War II, General Henry H. Arnold asked Dr. Theodore von Karman to study Germany's rapid development of advanced jet aircraft and other systems which almost allowed the then-Nazi-dominated nation to win World War II. At Gen. Arnold's request Dr. von Karman formed a Scientific Advisory Group to chart a long-range research and development course for the future of the U.S. Air Force. The result was Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC). President Harry Truman dedicated AEDC on June 5th, 1951. Since then, AEDC has contributed to the development of nearly every national aerospace program. Today, the center operates 58 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units. Additional information is available at the installation homepage.