1. Information
  2. Getting To & Around

Getting To & Around

Last Updated :

Getting To & Around Pulaski and Lonoke Counties

Little Rock AFB Getting to and Around Pulaski and Lonoke Counties


About as close to geographically central as you can get in Arkansas, Pulaski and Lonoke counties lie in a key location for travel throughout the state. The combined counties have the largest population in the state and are home to Arkansas’ capital and largest city — with all that activity and people there are bound to be times when things get crowded. But there are many ways to get around, including several major interstates, U.S. highways and a major national airport. Whether you’re traveling by car, bus, plane or train, there’s an easy way to get from A to B.


Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport

1 Airport Drive

Little Rock, AR 72202 501-372-3439 

The state’s largest commercial airport, Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport is about 30 minutes south of Little Rock Air Force Base. The airport serves nearly 2 million passengers annually with six airlines offering more than 50 daily flights to major hubs. Major carriers include Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest, United and GLO Airlines.


Rock Region Metropolitan Transit Authority

901 Maple St.

North Little Rock, AR 72114 501-375-6717 

Rock Region Metro serves the Little Rock metro area with fixed-route bus service and a downtown historic streetcar system. Bus services provide transportation throughout Little Rock, North Little Rock, Maumelle, Jacksonville, Sherwood and unincorporated areas of Pulaski County. There are more than 25 fixed and express routes available, as well as paratransit operations. The Metro Streetcar system’s replica vintage streetcars operate on a 3.4-mile route connecting the Little Rock and North Little Rock communities. Operators on the scenic routes provide information on historic sites along the way, making the trip both informative and enjoyable.

For more information on bus and streetcar schedules, routes and fares, visit

Driving and Commuting

Little Rock AFB Getting To and Around Driving and Commuting


Residents of Pulaski and Lonoke counties have an easy commute for the most part, and travel by car is the fastest way to get across Arkansas. Two primary highways pass through Little Rock — interstates 40 and 30 — with four auxiliary interstates designed to accommodate urban traffic. Highway 70 parallels I-40 from Lonoke into North Little Rock before joining I-30 at the Broadway exit. Highway 67 and Highway 167 share the same route from the northeast toward Cabot.

Speed limits on rural interstates are 70 mph for cars and 65 mph for trucks. Hand-held cellphone use is banned for certain drivers, and texting is prohibited for all drivers. The state also requires you to use your headlights whenever you are using your windshield wipers.

The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department offers many options for commuters at

The state highway department provides free real-time traffic information at

Arkansas Office of Driver Services

Ragland Building

1900 W. Seventh St., Room 2067

Little Rock, AR 72201 501-371-5581 

The Office of Driver Services administers the Arkansas state driver’s license and ID card program (Arkansas State Police administer testing). All applicants for an Arkansas driver’s license or identification card must provide a verifiable Social Security number.

All first-time driver’s license applicants or out-of-state transfers who have lost their license or whose license is expired more than 31 days are required to test with the Arkansas State Police before applying for an Arkansas driver’s license.

The requirements for obtaining an Arkansas driver’s license depend on the type of license you bring with you from another state. At any local revenue office, an out-of-state license (not expired more than 31 days, suspended or revoked) may be surrendered in exchange for an Arkansas driver’s license. If the out-of-state license is expired more than 31 days or you do not have the license to surrender, you will be required to take a written and vision examination. However, you will not be required to take the road exam. If the out-of-state license is expired more than one year, you will be required to take the written, vision and road test. There is no waiting period between written and driving examinations for persons transferring from out-of-state.

Driver’s Licenses

Driver’s license testing is performed by the highway patrol office in your county. Visit online to download PDFs of license test study guides. Regional test sites include:

Arkansas State Police Headquarters

1 State Police Plaza Drive

Little Rock, AR 72209 501-618-8259

Old State Revenue Office

116 N. First St.

Cabot, AR 72032 501-618-8259

Lonoke Community Center

1355 W. Front St.

Lonoke, AR 72086 501-618-8259

Vehicle Registration

The Office of Motor Vehicle’s primary responsibilities are to administer Arkansas vehicle registration, title and lien perfection laws. You have 30 calendar days after becoming a resident to register your vehicle in Arkansas. Applications can be made at any state revenue office. If Arkansas is your home of record, the requirements are the same as for an Arkansas resident, regardless of where you are stationed. If Arkansas is not your home of record, you are exempt from assessment and personal property taxes. You must provide a copy of your leave and earnings statement for verification of your home of record and therefore cannot renew by phone or internet. If your home of record is other than Arkansas and you are stationed outside of Arkansas, you must register your vehicle in one of those states.

Call the toll-free number for the registration renewal help line at 888-389-8336 or visit

Military members and veterans may be entitled to certain DMV exemptions and allowances. For more information on military and veteran exceptions and requirements, visit the website.

Distracted Driving

Arkansas prohibits handheld cellphone use for drivers ages 18 to 20. All cellphone use (handheld and hands-free) is banned for novice drivers (drivers under 18). Arkansas bans the use of hand-held cellphones for all drivers while driving in a school zone or a highway construction zone. Reading, writing or sending text messages is also prohibited for all motor vehicle operators.

Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department 

Visit the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department website for interactive maps with information about road closures, travel advisories and a guide to state welcome centers and rest areas. The website also provides a link to gas prices in the state and weather resources.


© 2019 - MARCOA Media