Getting Settled

Last Updated :

Vandenberg AFB Getting Settled



30th Medical Group

Bldg. 13850
338 South Dakota Ave.
Main line 805-606-2273

The 30th Medical Group provides medical, dental, bioenvironmental and public health services for people assigned to Vandenberg Air Force Base, their families and retirees. The group has multiple facilities to provide care in family medicine, space missile medicine, mental health, dental, immunizations, optometry, pediatrics, physical therapy, radiology and more. The clinic and pharmacy are open 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

There is no on-base emergency room. Patients are asked to contact their primary care manager within one duty day to report any care received at an emergency room to ensure proper follow-up. To report, call the Appointment Call Center at 805-606-2273 and choose option 1.

To contact specific services such as the laboratory, outpatient records, etc., call the main clinic number — 805-606-2273 — and follow the prompts.

Patient Advocate 805-606-3790
Pharmacy 805-606-7440
Refill Line 805-605-0200
Suicide Crisis Lifeline and Chat 800-273-8255
TRICARE 877-988-9378

Vandenberg Dental Clinic
Bldg. 13850 805-606-2273
7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday

Dental care is available to active-duty military with only emergency dental care for other eligible individuals. Family members of active-duty personnel are encouraged to use the TRICARE Dental Program with civilian dentists off-base.



TRICARE is the health care program for active duty and retirees of the uniformed services, their families and survivors. TRICARE’s primary objectives are to optimize the delivery of health care services in the military’s direct care system for all military health system beneficiaries and attain the highest level of patient satisfaction by delivering a world-class health care benefit.

TRICARE coverage is portable so it moves with you when you relocate. The TRICARE Prime options include TRICARE Prime and TRICARE Prime Remote in the United States, and TRICARE Prime Overseas and TRICARE Global Remote Overseas in regions outside the United States.

Follow these simple steps to ensure you have no break in coverage when you move:

  • Do not cancel your TRICARE Prime enrollment option before you move.
  • Update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System immediately when you arrive at your new location.
  • Select a new primary care manager when moving within the same region, or submit a new Prime enrollment form within 30 days if you’re moving to a new region.

Where you are moving will determine which Prime option you enroll in. If you move to a new Prime service area, transfer your enrollment by submitting a TRICARE Prime Enrollment and PCM Change Form to your regional contractor. Be sure to include all family members who wish to use Prime on the form.

TRICARE Standard and Extra are available to family members only. Active-duty service members are required to enroll in one of the Prime options. TRICARE Standard and Extra are available throughout the United States, and enrollment is not required. Any active-duty family member who is registered in DEERS may use these programs by seeing any network or non-network provider authorized by TRICARE.

If you’re already using TRICARE Standard and Extra, moving is easy. When you arrive at your new location, update your personal information in DEERS immediately. Then find TRICARE-authorized providers in your new area.

Here are a few things to remember about using TRICARE Standard and Extra in a new region:

  • In the U.S., visit your new regional contractor’s website for a list of providers. Remember, if you see network providers, you’ll be using the Extra option and pay lower copayments.
  • If you move to a new region, you’ll have a new claims address for submitting your TRICARE claims.
  • Learn your new region’s prior authorization requirements as these requirements may differ by region.

For a complete description of the different types of coverage programs and regions, visit


Housing Management Office

602 Juniper St.

7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday

The Vandenberg Base Housing Management Office is ready to support you in the transition to your new home and community. Use the resources provided to become familiar with the housing options and support services. When you arrive at Vandenberg Air Force Base, visit the HMO for valuable information, counseling and guidance before signing a lease or rental or sales contract for housing.

Unaccompanied Housing

347 South Dakota Ave.

7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday

Unaccompanied housing is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3, and E-4 with less than three years of service. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. Most permanent party unaccompanied housing consists of single-occupant rooms, a shared bathroom and an in-house laundry facility open 24/7. The campus is within walking distance to the chow hall and PSC mailboxes.

Unaccompanied Airmen in the rank of E-4 with more than three years of service will move into housing in the local community.

Vandenberg Family Housing

602 Juniper St.

8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday; and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, closed for 30 minutes during lunch.

At Vandenberg Air Force Base, military family housing is privatized. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the community, you may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Balfour Beatty Communities, which owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, constructing and managing the community.

For comprehensive information about homes and amenities in the Vandenberg privatized housing community, visit the Vandenberg Family Housing website; pet restrictions apply.


Post Office

Bldg. 10373
100 Community Loop

9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 1:30 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday

The full-service Post Office on base provides window service weekdays, and the lockbox lobby is always open. To receive mail for general delivery, use the following address:

Your Full Name and Rank
General Delivery
PSC Box 2000
Vandenberg AFB, CA 93437-5000

If you plan to reside in the dormitory during your entire assignment at Vandenberg AFB, request a PSC mailbox in advance. Send your sponsor a copy of your orders and ask that the sponsor obtain a PSC box assignment from the Postal Service Center for you. A locator card must be filled out to receive mail at the general delivery address.


Vandenberg Veterinary Treatment Facility

Bldg. 10314 805-606-3019

8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday

The Vandenberg veterinary personnel provide complete veterinary care for all government-owned animals. The VTF offers many routine care services for pets of military families, but most veterinary emergencies are best treated by a civilian veterinary hospital.

All pets living on base must be registered with the VTF upon arrival. On-base housing limits the number, type and breed of pets that can live in on-base housing.


Vandenberg Air Force Base Chapel

Bldg. 16200
587 Summersill Road 805-606-5773

The United States Air Force Chaplain Corps is dedicated to delivering robust spiritual care through unit integration and resource-focused quality program with the twin goals of caring for people and building a strong spiritual community. Priorities are Airmen, families and spiritual resiliency. Duty hours for the administrative office in Chapel 1, Bldg. 16200, are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Vandenberg Air Force Base chaplains offers counseling and seminars including premarital, marital, religious, stress, grief and loss, etc. All counseling sessions are covered by privileged communication.

Catholic Services
  • Daily Mass: 11:30 a.m. Monday through Thursday, except holidays
  • Sunday Mass: 9 a.m.
Protestant services
  • Service: 11 a.m. Sunday


Vehicle decals are not required for vehicles entering Vandenberg Air Force Base, nor must they be registered with Pass and Registration, though Pass and Registration, in Bldg. 11777, Room C 111, still issues vehicle decals if desired. To receive a vehicle decal, bring proof of current state registration, auto insurance information, a valid driver’s license and a military-affiliated ID card. All vehicles must pass California smog requirements; emissions testing is available at certified locations in nearby communities. Call Pass and Registration at 805-606-3923 with any questions. All privately owned vehicles on base must be insured, and a current license plate is required. California state traffic laws apply on base; see the Getting To & Around Santa Barbara County chapter on Page 21 for more information. All vehicles entering or leaving the base are subject to search.


© 2020 - MARCOA Media