Getting Settled

Last Updated :


30th Medical Group

Building 13850, 338 South Dakota Ave.

Appointments 805-606-2273

Pharmacy 805-606-7440

Refill Line 805-605-0200

Suicide Crisis Lifeline
and Chat 800-273-8255

TRICARE 844-866-9378 

The 30th Medical Group provides medical, dental, bioenvironmental and public health services for people assigned to Vandenberg AFB, their families and retirees. The group has multiple facilities to provide care in family medicine, space missile medicine, mental health, dental, immunizations, optometry, pediatrics, physical therapy, radiology and more.

There is no on-base emergency room. Patients are asked to contact their primary care manager within one duty day to report any care received at an emergency room to ensure proper follow-up.

Dental care is available to active-duty military with only emergency dental care for other eligible individuals. Family members of active-duty personnel are encouraged to use the TRICARE Dental Program. Program information is available by visiting


TRICARE is the health care program for active-duty and retired service members, their families and survivors. TRICARE provides health plans, prescriptions, dental plans and other special health programs to its beneficiaries. TRICARE’s mission is to enhance the Department of Defense and the nation’s security by providing health support for the full range of military operations and sustaining the health of all those entrusted to their care.

TRICARE offers a range of health care plans. TRICARE Prime is the mandatory health care option for active-duty service members. Family members of active-duty service members, retired service members and their families may also use this option. If you use TRICARE Prime, you are assigned a primary care manager at a military or network provider who delivers most of your care. If you need care your PCM cannot provide, you are referred to a specialist. Active-duty service members and their families pay nothing out of pocket for this option; however, there is less freedom to choose your provider. On Jan. 1, 2018, TRICARE Standard and Extra were combined into a new plan, TRICARE Select. Select is a standardized fee-for-service plan available to family members of active-duty service members, retired service members and their families. After you enroll in TRICARE Select, you may schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized provider. Referrals are not required, but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some services. You will pay a copay or cost share based on the type of care and provider you see. Costs for Select vary, but you will pay an annual deductible as well as a percentage of covered services. Non-network providers may charge up to 15 percent more than the TRICARE allowable charge; you are responsible for these extra charges. TRICARE also offers plans for remote and overseas locations, reserve military members, young adults who are no longer covered under regular TRICARE coverage and other scenarios.

TRICARE coverage is completely portable, so it moves with you when you relocate. Follow these simple steps to ensure you have no break in coverage when you move:

  • Do not cancel your TRICARE Prime enrollment option before you move.
  • Update your personal information in DEERS immediately when you arrive at your new location.
  • Select a new primary care manager.

If you are already using TRICARE Select, moving is easy. When you arrive at your new location, update your personal information in DEERS. Then find TRICARE-authorized providers in your new area. Remember, you may have a new regional contractor and claims filing address.

TRICARE’s online tools can help you find and compare plans that you are qualified to use. Beginning in 2019, however, TRICARE will allow you to switch between plans only if you have a “qualifying life event” such as the birth of a baby or a move. For a complete description of the types of coverage programs and regions, visit For more information about recent changes to TRICARE, visit


Housing Management Office

602 Juniper St. 805-606-3434 

The Vandenberg Housing Management Office is ready to help you transition to your new home and community. Use its resources to become familiar with available housing options and support services. When you arrive at Vandenberg AFB, visit the HMO for valuable information, counseling and guidance before signing any lease or sales contract for housing.

Unaccompanied Housing

347 South Dakota Ave. 805-605-2048 

Unaccompanied housing is provided for unaccompanied airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3, and E-4 with less than three years of service. Each airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens and supplies required for comfortable living. Most permanent party unaccompanied housing consists of single-occupant rooms, a shared bathroom and an in-house laundry facility open 24/7. The campus is within walking distance to the chow hall and PSC mailboxes.

Unaccompanied airmen in the rank of E-4 with more than three years of service will move into housing in the local community.

Vandenberg Family Homes

602 Juniper St. 805-734-1445 

At Vandenberg AFB, military family housing is privatized. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Balfour Beatty Communities, which owns the family housing and is responsible for constructing, maintaining, repairing and managing the community.

For comprehensive information about homes and amenities in the Vandenberg privatized housing community, visit the Vandenberg Family Homes website.


Postal Service Center

Building 13001 805-606-1841 

The Postal Service Center serves airmen relocating to and from Vandenberg as well as airmen on the base for training. It also distributes mail for dorm residents.


Veterinary Treatment Facility

Building 10314 805-606-3019

The Vandenberg veterinary personnel provide complete veterinary care for all government-owned animals. The VTF offers many routine care services for pets of military families.

All pets living on base must be registered with the VTF upon arrival. On-base housing limits the number, type and breed of pets that can live in on-base housing.

Due to limited resources, most veterinary emergency cases are best served through a full-service civilian veterinary hospital; see the Military Buyer’s Guide tab to connect with local veterinarians.


Vandenberg Air Force Base Chapel

Building 16200

587 Summersill Road 805-606-5773

The United States Air Force Chaplain Corps is dedicated to delivering robust spiritual care through unit integration and resource-focused quality program with the twin goals of caring for people and building a strong spiritual community. Priorities are airmen, families and spiritual resiliency.

Vandenberg Air Force Base chaplains offer counseling and seminars including premarital, marital, religious, stress, grief and loss, etc.


Vehicle decals are not required for vehicles entering Vandenberg Air Force Base, nor must they be registered with Pass and Registration, though Pass and Registration, in Building 11777, Room C 111, still issues vehicle decals if desired. To receive a vehicle decal, bring proof of current state registration, auto insurance information, a valid driver’s license and a military-affiliated ID card. All vehicles must pass California smog requirements; emissions testing is available at certified locations in nearby communities. Call Pass and Registration at 805-606-3923 with any questions. All privately owned vehicles on base must be insured, and a current license plate is required. California state traffic laws apply on base; see the Getting To & Around Santa Barbara County chapter on Page 19 for more information. All vehicles entering or leaving the base are subject to search.


© 2019 - MARCOA Media