School Liaison Officer

Last Updated :

Irving L. Branch Elementary School, Edwards Air Force Base

School Liaison Office • 90 Farrell Drive • 661-277-2456

When to connect with your School Liaison Officer

Once orders to Edwards AFB are received, you have a choice of either contacting the SLO at your current base or contacting the Edwards SLO via phone, email or website. Provide the SLO with the age or grade of your children, location of residence, type of school or program(s) desired (private, public, gifted, special needs, STEM) and any other information you feel is important in your children's education. Once received, the SLO will be able to provide you with local school information both on and off base. The schools on Edwards Air Force Base belong to Muroc Joint Unified School District (public) and as such the SLO cannot enroll your children. This can only be completed by the parent.

Resources available for comparing schools:

When transitioning from one base to another, you can also contact the Airman & Family Readiness Center, Relocation Program and Housing Office for information on Edwards AFB and the surrounding communities. They will provide you with a welcome packet and information on the Newcomers Orientation.

Quick Checklist for School Moves

Contact the Edwards AFB school liaison officer. More helpful information is available at www.militarychild.org/navigating-school-moves.

California School Age Attendance Requirements:

California Education Code 48200 requires school attendance for all children between the ages of 6 and 18. Kindergarten is considered part of the regular school program. A child must be 5 years of age or older on or before Sept. 1 to attend kindergarten, and must be 6 years old on or before Sept. 1 to attend first grade. Any child who will have their fifth birthday between Sept. 2 and Dec. 2 will be offered transitional kindergarten.

Documents required for enrollment:

Immunization requirements:

School Records:

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. If I live off base, how can I find out which school my child will attend and how can I research local schools?

Children are assigned to the district in which they live, making it important to research schools before making a housing decision. Within a 100-mile radius of Edwards AFB, there are over 12 school districts in the Antelope Valley. The Muroc Joint Unified School District is the district that oversees the schools on base. Each school district has a webpage where parents can research test scores, school safety, the teacher-pupil ratio and boundary maps. The school liaison officer has information about the local schools and maps of the different districts, which shows their boundaries.

2. Can I choose which school district my child will attend?

Yes, you have some choice about which school your child attends within California's public school system.

3. At what age can my child start school in California?

Students must turn 5 years of age by Sept. 1 in order to start kindergarten. If they turn 5 between Sept. 2 and Dec. 2, they are eligible for transitional kindergarten if it is offered.

4. What information will I need to enroll my child in school?

5. What are the course requirements for high school graduation?

To receive a high school diploma, students must fulfill state and district graduation requirements. State-mandated graduation course requirements (minimum) follow:

Recognizing that these 13 years of preparation are state minimum requirements, local school boards often set local graduation requirements that exceed the state-mandated requirements. Students must pass the California High School Exit Examination to receive a high school diploma. Please see your school administration for any additional requirements.

6. If my child is only going to attend local or on-base schools for just a few years, how can I ensure that my child is prepared to transfer to another state school with higher standards or overseas DODEA schools?

With the help of the school counselors and the school liaison officer an academic plan can be mapped out that will assist in making smooth transitions from one school to the next.

7. Where can I find information on the process for transitioning a special needs child?

Contact the school to make an appointment for registration. Let the school know that your child has an active Individual Education Plan or an Individual Accommodation 504 Plan gifted program description, English as a second language or bilingual education, at-risk or other action plans for classroom modifications. Take a copy of your child’s IEP and psychoeducational report along with all other required documents to the school to your scheduled appointment. If you have any questions prior to arrival, please check the school site or the special education office or contact the school liaison officer for assistance.

8. What are the state requirements and procedures for home schooling my child?

There are four legal alternatives for home schooling that are acceptable in California:

1) Home educators may establish a private school, based in their home, and file a private school affidavit with the Superintendent of Public Instruction of California (normally between Oct. 1 and 15 every school year).

2) Home schooling parents may enroll their children in a private school PSP (private school satellite program) that has filed a private school affidavit with the Superintendent of Public Instruction of California, which has the same legal exemption and requirements as No. 1 above. A private school satellite program may be composed entirely of home educators or may be an extension program of a campus-based private school. Families enrolled in out-of-state schools and programs are required by state law to be enrolled in a California private school (single home-based or PSP) with a California physical address for its location.

3) A child being taught by a home-schooling parent, who has a valid California teacher’s credential for the grades and subjects taught, is exempted from attendance in a public school under the tutorial exemption (E.C. §48224).

4) The home-schooled pupil may enroll in a public school independent study program (E.C. §§51745-51747) or a charter school offering home study (E.C. §47600 et al.) if available in your school district or county. In these two programs, the home schooling family is totally under the authority of the public schools.

Home Schooling websites:

9. What schooling choices are available for my child?

Depending on where you are interested in living, there are many public, private and charter schools that are available to families. Please see your base school liaison officer for additional assistance.

10. What are the requirements for enrollment in the Youth 
Programs before- and after-school care?

For on-base before- and after-school care, parents must meet program eligibility requirements per DODI 6060.3, which includes active-duty military personnel, DOD civilian personnel paid from either appropriated or non-appropriated funds, reservists on active duty or during inactive duty training, and DOD contractors. Priority is given per HQ AFMC Master Labor Agreement — find out more online at http://edwardsfss.com/wordpress/family/school-age-program.


© 2019 - MARCOA Media