Initial Actions

Last Updated :

There are a number of actions which you should take as soon as you receive Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders...actions such as arranging movement of your household goods, requesting on-base family housing (if desired), arranging temporary quarters for when you house hunt, arranging mail delivery, and enrolling your children in the on-base Child Development Center program (if appropriate). 

Newcomers are encouraged to contact their local Personal Property office as soon as possible after receiving orders to arrange shipment of household goods. Most of this process can now be accomplished on line using the Defense Personal Property System. 

All single Airmen, E-4 and below with less than three years service, must reside in on-base dormitories. All Airmen, E-4 and above with more than three years of service, can live either in a dormitory or off base. Military families can apply to live in on-base housing or reside in the local community. A few single officers, in key essential positions, must live on-base; while other bachelor officers must reside in the local community. Applications for on-base housing can be submitted to the Housing Referral Office as soon as orders are received. See "Housing" for details. 

Temporary lodging can also be requested up to three months in advance of your date of arrival. Reservation requests are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis without regard to rank. Reservations can be made by calling the Warrior Inn at (312) 747-7200 or DSN (312) 362-7200. 

Families awaiting personal property shipment to arrive can use the Airman and Family Readiness Center's Loan Locker while staying in temporary lodging. Items available include kitchenware, baby furnishings, futons, and other household items. The Center also provides newly arriving families with free child care for up to 20 hours through on-base licensed Family Care Providers. The Center can be contacted at (312) 747-3241 or DSN (312) 362-3241. 

Military families moving to Grand Forks AFB are encouraged to contact the Child Development Center upon receiving their PCS orders in order to register their children in the program. The Center can be reached at (312) 747-3042 or DSN (312) 362-3041. 

All new personnel should hear from a gaining command sponsor shortly after receiving orders. If not, contact your gaining unit and ask for your sponsor's name and phone number or call Customer Service at (312) 747-6411. 

Before departing home, remember to hand carry important paperwork such as military service record, PCS orders, passports, leave and earning statement, proof of car registration and insurance, marriage certificate, immunization records of children, household good inventory lists, and military ID cards While traveling, be sure to document all travel expenses for reimbursement at Grand Forks AFB. 


© 2019 - MARCOA Media