Andersen AFB, 36th Wing, Air Mobility Command (AMC), opened as North Field in 1944, and was primarily used as a B-29 staging base in the Pacific during WWII. Later it was renamed after Brigadier General James R. Andersen, former Chief of Staff for the Army Air Force, Pacific, who was lost at sea returning to Honolulu in 1945. The base continues to support strategic operations in the region, and serves as a staging base for activities in Asia and the South Pacific. The bulk of Andersen's duties since WWII have been as a Strategic Air Command (SAC) base, supporting activities in Korea and Vietnam. For more information visit Andersen's homepage.
To provide peacetime and wartime support for aerospace forces in the Asian-Pacific theater.