You should have all your prescriptions filled before you leave, but if you need a prescription filled while you are traveling in the United States, you have several options:
- If near an MTF, fill the prescription at the MTF pharmacy.
- Find the closest TRICARE network pharmacy.
- If a network pharmacy is not available, you can visit a non-network pharmacy. In this case, you may have to pay up front for your medications and file a claim with Express Scripts, Inc., for reimbursement. For more details, visit the TRICARE website.
- The TRICARE home-delivery is not recommended for a prescription you need right away, but if you'll be away for a long time, you can arrange for any regular prescriptions to be filled via the mail-order pharmacy.
Your pharmacy coverage is limited overseas:
- TRICARE network pharmacies are only located in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands. You can have prescriptions filled at host-nation pharmacies, if necessary. Host-nation pharmacies are treated the same as non-network pharmacies. If you have prescriptions filled at a host-nation pharmacy, you should expect to pay for the total amount up front and file a claim with Wisconsin Physicians Service for partial reimbursement. To learn more about pharmacy claims, visit the TRICARE website.
- To use the mail-order pharmacy overseas, the prescription must be from a U.S. licensed provider and you must have an APO or FPO address.
If You Have Questions
Your regional contractors and TRICARE Area Offices are available to answer your questions. These offices are listed above. Find even more information about moving, updating DEERS, the TRICARE regions and much more at the TRICARE website.