Fort Leavenworth is the oldest active Army post west of the Mississippi River, and has devoted more than 170 years of service to the nation. Established in 1827, Fort Leavenworth has one of the largest and oldest National Historic Landmark Districts in the Department of the Army. In 1881, Gen. William T. Sherman established the School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry. That school evolved into the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College which is still at Fort Leavenworth. For more information go to the Fort Leavenworth homepage.