The Fort Jackson school system’s most important goal is to structure the curriculum and instructional program so that transient military children are accommodated based upon their educational needs. The schools are staffed with certified classroom and specialty educators. Educational aides are available to assist all new children acclimate as they are enrolled. On-post schools serve active-duty and full-time federal employees’ dependent children in pre-K through sixth grade who live on post in permanent quarters.
In 2015, the Department of Defense Education Activity consolidated their school districts. Fort Jackson DODEA schools became a part of the Southeast School District School. Fort Jackson’s elementary schools are authorized under Section 2164 of Title 10, United States Code, and are a part of the DODEA school system.
Southeast Superintendent: Dr. Kristy Huddleston
7441 Custer Road, Building 2627
Fort Benning, GA 31905 706-545-7276
Community Superintendent: Ms. Kathleen Reiss
376 Davis Ave.
Fort Stewart, GA 31315 912-369-6691
ENROLLMENT INFORMATION FOR ON-POST SCHOOLS
Dependent children in grades pre-K through sixth living on post will attend one of two Department of Defense schools: Pierce Terrace Elementary School or Charles Cotesworth Pinckney Elementary School. Only children of active-duty and full-time federal employees living on post are eligible to attend Department of Defense schools.
Students registered will be enrolled the following day. To register your children in the on-post schools, you will need to bring the following items:
• Lease or memorandum from the housing office verifying residence or residency assignment within 90 days.
• Student’s original birth certificate or certified copy.
• Current orders and ID card for military sponsor.
• South Carolina Certificate of Immunization (DHEC-1148). The following immunizations are required: DTP — four doses (at least one dose must be administered after the 4th birthday); hepatitis B — three doses; MMR — two doses; polio — three doses (at least one dose must be administered after the 4th birthday); varicella — one dose.
• Form 1172 (DEERS Enrollment Form) is required if the student’s legal last name differs from the sponsor. This form can be obtained from the Welcome Center.
Pierce Terrace provides for all 4-year-olds and kindergarten and first-grade students. The two-level structure was opened in 1972 as an “open design” facility. Many changes have been made since then, and the school now functions with self-contained classrooms. Construction of a four-classroom addition was completed in the 2004-2005 school year.
PIERCE TERRACE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (GRADES: PRE-K THROUGH FIRST)
Principal: Dr. Raymond Burk
5715 Adams Court
Columbia, SC 29206 803-782-1772
Hours: 8 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
CHARLES COTESWORTH PINCKNEY
Opened in 1987, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney Elementary School serves children in second through sixth grades. Due to renovation and construction, the entire school was relocated to the old Hood Street School for the 2007-2008 school year. It reopened in a freshly updated building with a new roof for the 2008-2009 school year.
CHARLES COTESWORTH PINCKNEY SCHOOL (GRADES: SECOND THROUGH SIXTH)
Principal: Dr Theresa Davis
5900 Chesnut Road
Columbia, SC 29206 803-787-6815
Hours: 7:55 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.