Soldiers assigned to the New York National Guard’s Joint Task Force Empire Shield clear snow from Humvees at Fort Hamilton during a major blizzard in New York City. The task force, which augments law enforcement in providing security at New York City transportation hubs, had more than 100 soldiers and airmen on standby to support civil authorities in New York City if necessary. (Photo courtesy of Joint Task Force Empire Shield, January 2016)
The cornerstone of this coastal defense fort was set in 1825, and the first garrison flag was raised in 1831. While many of the original structures are gone, some having yielded to the construction of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, part of the old fort remains on the grounds of the U.S. Army Fort Hamilton Garrison. Colonels Row, the Fort Hamilton Community Club, Lee House and the Harbor Defense Museum are on the national register of historic places. The historic museum is in the caponier of the old fort and is virtually untouched. Today, Fort Hamilton is under the command of the Military District of Washington.