Youth sponsorship works to link youth in grades one through 12 who are moving to the Fort Drum area with a youth sponsor. A youth sponsor can make the move easier. Sponsors can provide:
- Correspondence by email before the move.
- Information about what Fort Drum Child, Youth and School Services has to offer.
- Information about Fort Drum and the surrounding area.
- Someone who knows what it’s like adjusting to a new place, a new school and new friends.
- A means to make the transition and move easier
This program is designed to ease the fears of teens transitioning to or from Fort Drum. Sponsors are matched with incoming teens based on gender, age and interests. The sponsors then serve as guides for incoming youth. They introduce the new arrival to others within their age group and grade level and to various activities.
Youth in the community who wish to sponsor an incoming youth must register with the Youth Sponsorship Program coordinator, have parental permission and attend required training. Being a youth sponsor helps build life skills and develops leadership. For more information, contact 315-772-8672/6717.