Army Community Housing Office (Housing Services Office HSO))
Clark Hall, Room A2-54
The Army Community Housing Office provides the following off-post housing services:
- Provide off-post counseling and referral assistance.
- Answer questions and provide information about the local area (schools, recreation, transportation, lodging, winter weather, etc.).
- Inspect off-post rental properties to determine suitability.
- Review, clarify and explain leases.
- Mediate tenant-landlord disputes.
- Process off-post housing complaints.
- Provide home buying information and assistance.
- Explain tenant rights and responsibilities.
- Validate the DA Form 31 for Permissive TDY.*
* Soldiers on Permissive TDY for house-hunting purposes must have their DA Form 31 verified/stamped on the first available duty day. Failure to secure the validation/stamp may result in the Soldier being charged leave for the entire period.
There are many towns and villages within easy commute of Fort Drum, which offer more than 10,000 rental properties within a 20-mile drive from post. As the market varies, so do the options available. The Welcome Home Center staff provides assistance with what is currently available in the marketplace and offers information on other considerations to think about in addition to rent, such as commute distances, winter weather conditions, property amenities and utility costs.
Purchase a Home
Instead of renting, you may decide a home purchase best suits your needs. Army Community Services and Neighbors of Watertown offer home buying education classes. Contact the Army Community Housing office at the Welcome Home Center for more information and questions regarding home buying at 315-772-6883. The Northern New York Multiple Listing Service offers a comprehensive website at www.nnymls.com to search for and view homes and properties for sale. The Welcome Home Center provides Realtor and housing marketing information. Purchasing a home is a huge investment. It is in your best interest to discuss this option with a knowledgeable consultant to be more fully informed.