Fort Carson is served by Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8. Four elementary schools and a middle school are located on post.
- Weikel Elementary School serves children in preschool through fifth grade. For more information, call 358-4320.
- Patriot Elementary School serves children in kindergarten through fifth grade. For more information, call 382-1460.
- Mountainside Elementary serves kindergarten through fifth grade. For more information, call 382-1430.
- Abrams Elementary serves kindergarten through fifth grade. For more information, call 382-1490.
- Fort Carson Middle School serves sixth through eighth grade. For more information, call 382-1610.
- High school students are transported via school bus to Fountain-Fort Carson High School in Fountain. For more information, call 382-1640.
Several school districts serve the communities surrounding Fort Carson:
- Colorado Springs School District 11 (north of post), 520-2000
- Cheyenne Mountain School District 12 (northwest of post), 475-6100
- Harrison School District 2 (north of post), 579-2000
- Widefield School District 3 (east of post), 391-3000
- Falcon School District 49 (northeast of post and Colorado Springs), 495-3601
- Academy School District 20 (north of post in northern Colorado Springs), 260-0604
- Manitou Springs School District 14 (west of post and Colorado Springs), 685-2024
There are also many private and charter schools in the area. For more information, contact the Fort Carson School Liaison Office, building 1518 Prussman Boulevard or call 526-1101.
CHILD AND YOUTH SERVICES (CYS), YOUTH EDUCATION SUPPORT SERVICES
Kindergarten through 12th grade and post-secondary school liaison services can assist Families with public, private or home school issues. Located in building 1518, Youth Education Support Services has information concerning Colorado Springs, El Paso County and Pueblo County schools; surrounding community schools; private schools; home-school information; and scholarship and post-secondary education information. For details, call 526-4255 or 526-1071.
CYS Youth Education Liaison Services offers youth sponsorship training and the Youth Sponsorship Council. The liaisons also provide home-school programming and support the Youth Action Council, permanent change of station and grade advancement transition assistance as well as post-secondary education preparation information. CYS Liaison Education and Outreach Services provides information on all schools serving Fort Carson including those off post. They also provide information on transitioning from one district to another; and between elementary and middle school, and middle and high school. For more information, call 526-2301.
CHILD AND YOUTH SERVICES
Fort Carson Child and Youth Services provides a variety of programs and services to children ages 6 weeks to 18 years. Programs and services are based upon the growth and development of children and meet national and Army standards. Regardless of the program, length of stay or age of child/youth, the service is based upon age-appropriate practices. Information and registration for any Child and Youth Services program is located at building 1518. Registration is free. Call 516-1100/1101 for information.
CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTERS
Registration for any Child and Youth Services program consists of full-day services for children ages 6 weeks to 5 years, and hourly care for children ages 6 weeks to 12 years. The part-day preschool program is for children ages 3-5. Morning and afternoon sessions are available Monday-Friday. Registration for all CYS programs is located in building 1518; call 526-1100/1101 for information.
The Child Development Centers located on the installation are as follows:
- The East Child Development Center, located in building 6058 on the corner of Nelson and Martinez, provides full-day services only. The center is open Monday-Friday from 5:45 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The West Child Development Center, located at building 6060 on Coleman, provides full-day care services. The center is open Monday- Friday from 5:45 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Cheyenne Mountain Child Development Center is located in building 6203 on Harr Avenue just south of the main Fort Carson entrance at Gate 1. Cheyenne Mountain CDC provides full-day child care, before and after kindergarten care, as well as part-day preschool. It houses children ages 6 weeks-kindergarten and is open Monday-Friday from 5:45 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Monarch Child Development Center, building 2764 is located on Womack Street near Gate 20. It is a full-day child care center and serves children ages 6 weeks to 5 years. The center is open Monday-Friday from 5:45 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Ivy Child Development Center, building 1840, is located on the Resiliency campus near Prussman and Specker avenues. The Ivy CDC provides full-day, hourly, and part-day preschool services. The center is open Monday-Friday from 5:45 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Aspen Child Development Center, building 4356, is a 160-capacity center that houses both child care and school age programs. There are 80 child care spaces and 80 kindergarten spaces to better serve parents with children of both age groups. The center is open Monday-Friday from 5:45 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Timberline Multi-functional CDC is located on the corner of Ware and Ellis streets and will serve up to 26 children for hourly child care. The facility also houses SKIESUnlimited instructional class programs.
FAMILY CHILD CARE
Army certified Family Child Care homes are available on and off the installation. FCC providers offer age-appropriate activities in a home-like environment. The small group size allows children to develop close relationships with caregivers and other children.
The FCC program offers full-day, part-time, part-day and hourly care. Overnight, weekend, holiday hours and extended care (up to 14 days) are available for single and dual military parents. This care is also available for military and civilian working couples and for single civilian patrons. The care is for mission-related duty or with a documented civilian work schedule. The FCC office is located in building 5510, on the corner of Ellis Street and Harr Avenue. Registration for all CYS programs is located in building 1518; call 526-1101 for information.
The kindergarten program includes a before- and after-school day care service for kindergarten children. Transportation is provided from the center to on-post schools. Services are provided in Cheyenne Mountain CDC, building 6203, and Aspen CDC, building 4356. Both programs are open from 5:45 a.m. to 6 p.m. A summer day camp program is also operated to provide full-day care for kindergartners during the summer months. Registration for all CYS programs is located in building 1518; call 526-1100/1101 for information.
SCHOOL AGE SERVICES
Before-and after-school programs for youths in first-fifth grades are provided at two facilities on Fort Carson, Patriot SAS is located in building 6204 on Harr Avenue just south of the main Fort Carson entrance at Gate 1 and Mesa SAS is located in building 4790 across the street from Abrams Elementary School. The Patriot and Mesa School Age Services programs are for school-age children in first-fifth grades and are open Monday-Friday from 5:45 a.m. to 6 p.m. Transportation is provided to and from on-post schools. Full-day services are available for days when there is no school. Boys and Girls Club programs and 4-H are incorporated into School Age Services programming. Full day camps are available during school breaks. Registration for all Child and Youth Services programs is located in building 1518; call 526-1100/1101 for information.
The Youth Center is located on the corner of Ware Street and Normandy Road in building 5950. The center offers a variety of programs and special events for middle- and high-school youths. Programming includes sports, fitness and health options; life skills; citizenship; leadership opportunities; arts; recreation; and leisure activities.
The Youth Center offers after-school programs for middle school youths and teens. The after-school program is free for registered youth. Registration for all CYS programs is located in building 1518; call 526-1100/1101 for information.
SPORTS & FITNESS
The child and youth sports and fitness program provides recreational and educational programs that are fun, safe and nurturing. Participants are given an opportunity to learn and experience the fundamentals of sports, fitness and a variety of team and individual activities. Motor skill development aids younger children, fitness opportunities abound for middle and high school students and a child/youth nutrition and health program serves the needs for all.
Character education is a key component of the sports, fitness and nutrition program that encourages fair play, responsibility, good sportsmanship and respect.
Registration for all CYS programs is located in building 1518; call 526-1100/1101 for information.
HIRED! is an apprenticeship and workforce preparation program designed to meet the career-exploration needs of teens ages 15-18. For more information, call 524-1472.
RESOURCE AND REFERRAL OFFICE
For overnight, weekend, full-day, part-day or drop-in child care in a home environment, Resource and Referral Office is available. The RRO makes referrals for full-time child care to licensed day-care homes at Fort Carson. Children ages 4 weeks to 2 years may use resource and referral services. For more information and registration call 526-2680.
The Fort Carson Directorate of Emergency (DES) provides professional Emergency Services and Installation Access Control to the Fort Carson military community in order to create a safe and secure environment for the Best Hometown in the Army.
For all police, fire and medical emergencies, immediately call 911. To report all non-emergent crimes or incidents, call 526-2333 or report to the Fort Carson Police Desk, located at building 2700, Christie Street.