10th Combat Support Hospital
The motto of the 10th Combat Support Hospital (CSH), “In Cruce Vincam,” translates to “I Shall Conquer by the Cross.” This motto is intended to be inspirational in nature and refers to the CSH’s ability to conserve the fighting strength of the Soldier.
The green of the motto’s scroll symbolizes the green fields, the normal operational environment for an Army at war. The maroon and white are the colors of the Army Medical Department. The maroon colored cross represents the medical profession, while the white satire forming the Roman “X” indicates the numerical designation.
The unit was constituted in the U.S. Army June 23, 1942, and was first activated and designated as the 10th Field Hospital July 6, 1942, at Camp Bowie, Texas. During World War II, the 10th Field Hospital provided medical support in Tunisia, Italy, France and Germany. Two arrowhead devices were awarded to the 10th Field Hospital for participation in theses campaigns, and the unit was also awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation April 16, 1990, for services in the European Theater during 1944.
The unit was deactivated Nov. 4, 1945, at Camp Myles, Massachussets, following the defeat of the Axis Powers. The 10th Field Hospital resumed its medical support and training mission in Germany, following its reactivation in the regular Army Aug. 25, 1949. The unit was redesignated as the 10th Evacuation Hospital June 15, 1962, and remained in Germany until its deactivation Aug. 16, 1965.
The 10th CSH was reactivated July 12, 1967, at Fort Meade, Maryland. On March 21, 1973, the Evacuation Hospital was reorganized and redesignated as the 10th Combat Support Hospital (CSH). It was redesignated as the 10th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) on Aug. 16, 1983. On Aug. 5, 1987, Department of the Army directed a realignment of the 10th MASH with the 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized), Fort Carson, Colorado, with an effective date of Aug. 16, 1988. The 10th MASH was aligned under the 43rd Support Group as a battalion organization with the following subordinate units: 517th Medical Company (Clearing), 571st Medical Detachment (Air Ambulance), 223rd Medical Detachment (Preventive Medicine) and 40th Dental Company.
On Jan. 3, 1991, the 10th MASH deployed to Saudi Arabia with the 44th Medical Brigade, 1st Medical Group in support of Operation Desert Storm until July 1991. The Department of the Army redesignated the 10th MASH as the 10th Combat Support Hospital Dec. 16, 1992. The 10th CSH (FWD) deployed to Bosnia and Hungary in support of Operation Joint Forge from March 12 to Sept. 27, 1999.
On Nov. 17, 1999, the Department of the Army, in accordance with the Medical Reengineering Initiative (MRI), reorganized the 10th CSH into three companies, HHD, Alpha Co (164 bed), and Bravo Co (84 bed), and one detachment, the 223rd Medical Detachment (Preventive Medicine).
Since the MRI, three more detachments have been activated and organized under the 10th CSH: on Oct. 16, 2000, the 2nd Medical Detachment (Forward Surgical Team); on Oct. 17, 2007, the 221st Medical Detachment (Optometry); and on Oct. 15, 2010, the 438th Medical Detachment (Veterinary Service). From April 9 to July 22, 2003, the unit deployed to the Middle East in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom under the command and control of the 30th Medical Brigade.
In January 2004, the 10th Combat Support Hospital became the first hospital to complete the Medical Re-engineering Initiative conversion. With the conversion, the 10th CSH is now a more mobile 84-bed hospital with an additional 164 beds in storage, if ever needed. The CSH is designed to provide Level III care to deployed Soldiers during wartime operations or humanitarian missions. The hospital facility is the Deployable Medical System, which consists of temper tents and shelters. It is composed of an emergency medical treatment section with a dispensary, one operating room with two tables, two intensive care units each composed of 12 beds, three intermediate care wards each composed of 20 beds, one central materiel services section, laboratory with limited testing capabilities, blood bank, radiology with portable X-ray capability and digital processing and a pharmacy. Due to recent experiences, the 10th CSH has requested an additional OR shelter to increase surgical capabilities. Though the 10th CSH is an Echelon-Above-Division asset, and therefore requires support, with the MRI conversion it is now more self-sufficient than before.
The 10th CSH deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005-2007. While conducting split-based operations in Tallil and Baghdad, Medical Task Force 10 provided unmatched Level III combat health support with a 94-percent survivability rate. The unit returned to Fort Carson from Iraq Oct. 14, 2006, and received an additional Meritorious Unit Commendation.
In 2009-2010, the 10th CSH deployed to Operation Iraqi Freedom and once again provided unmatched Level III combat health support with a 98-percent survivability rate, the highest survivability rate in the history of American warfare.
Most recently, the 10th CSH deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and conducted split base operation between FOB Dwyer and many locations throughout the country. The survivability rate was unmatched by any other unit, and a successful transition was conducted with the incoming unit.
The staff of the hospital is comprised of two personnel components: permanently assigned and professional fillers or PROFIS. With the fiscal 2007 modified table of organization and equipment, the 10th CSH had 482 required positions, which consist of 237 permanently assigned and 245 PROFIS. With the MRI conversion, this represents a shift with the number of permanently assigned personnel decreasing and the number of PROFIS increasing by approximately 40 each. The backbone of a fully operational and functional hospital is the competent staff found under the canvas. An important part of that competent team is the PROFIS staff that makes up more than half of the staff and includes the majority of the clinical professionals. The 10th Combat Support Hospital is the premier combat support hospital within Forces Command and the Department of Defense. The 10th CSH provides comprehensive Level-III medical care and health services to conserve the fighting strength of America’s Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.
4th Infantry Division
The 4th Infantry Division is the preeminent team of combat-focused Soldiers, Families, and supporting community members achieving excellence in the support of each other and the Army’s mission.
The 4th Inf. Div. is trained and ready to fight and win; Ivy Soldiers and civilians are certified, agile, and adaptive professionals of character committed to sustaining readiness and caring for Families and communities.
In keeping with the rich history and service to the community of the Mountain Post, the 4th Inf. Div. is proud to be the face of Fort Carson and a loyal partner with the community. Working together, the 4th Inf. Div. and Fort Carson build and maintain combat-ready expeditionary forces necessary to fight and win in complex environments as members of joint, interagency, intergovernmental, and multinational teams and as a mission command element.
The Ivy Division and Fort Carson provide first class support to Soldiers, Airmen, civilians, and Families; and enable unified action with community, state, and interagency partners to accomplish all assigned missions.
On Dec. 10, 1917, the same year that America entered World War I, the 4th Division, American Expeditionary Forces, was organized at Camp Greene, North Carolina to begin its long tradition of service to the Nation. Filled with draftees, the 4th Div., whose insignia had been adopted by its first commanding general, Major General George H. Cameron, became known as the “Ivy” Division. Its insignia consisted of four green ivy leaves on a khaki background. The division also derived its numerical designation from the Roman numeral IV; hence the nickname, “Ivy” Division. The division’s motto, “Steadfast and Loyal,” has described the Iron Horse Soldier for nearly 100 years.
By June 1918, the entire division had arrived in France, and before entering combat in July for the Aisne-Marne Offensive, the 4th fought with distinction across France and received great praise for their heroic efforts during St. Mariel and the Muese-Argonne campaigns. With the Armistice signed on November 11, the division moved to serve both the French and British sectors as well as all Corps in the American sector and was the first to crack the Hindenburg Line.
The 4th Infantry Division was reactivated in June 1940 and began training immediately for war. Sent to England in January 1944 for amphibious training prior to D-Day, the Ivy Division was first ashore, landing at Utah Beach on June 6, 1944. After a successful landing and breakout from Normandy, the 4th pushed into France and liberated Paris. The division then moved to Luxembourg where the
4th Inf. Div. became the first U.S. Soldiers to breach the Siegfried line and enter Germany. The 4th moved north to face the enemy in the bloody Hurtgen Forest and after weeks of brutal combat returned to Luxembourg for action in the Battle of the Bulge. The 4th Inf. Div. halted the enemy advance in December, gained the offensive and attacked across the Rhine and into eastern Germany during the spring of 1945.
The Fighting Fourth was again called into action in the fall of 1965 and sent to Vietnam. The division was given a large area of the Central Highlands to control and a base camp was soon established at Pleiku. During the next four years, the 4th Inf. Div. engaged the enemy in brutal combat, conducting search and destroy missions and constant patrols to defend their assigned territory. They eliminated enemy incursions moving from the Ho Chi Minh Trail thru Cambodia and Laos. When the division departed Vietnam in late 1970, it had earned 11 campaign streamers and 12 Soldiers had earned the Medal of Honor.
The 4th Inf. Div. returned to combat in 2003 in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and would deploy multiple times during the next eight years. After arriving in April 2003, the division established Task Force Iron Horse at Tikrit and engaged the enemy north of Baghdad. In December 2003, the 4th along with special operations forces captured Saddam Hussein. The 4th Inf. Div. Headquarters returned in both 2005 and 2007 to command Multi-National Division-Baghdad and the division’s brigade combat teams also made multiple deployments in support of the war. During their service in Iraq, Iron Horse Soldiers would balance aggressive operations to eliminate threats with massive rebuilding projects and sophisticated training programs. The Iron Horse Division deployed, serving as the command for MND-North in support of Operation New Dawn, in 2010.
The Al Qaeda attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 resulted in a swift and unified action to destroy those responsible. The U.S. Army invaded Afghanistan in 2001 to search for and destroy al Qaeda, its sympathizers and its leader Osama Bin Laden. The action became known as Operation Enduring Freedom and focused on eliminating the Taliban organization which supported al Qaeda and practiced domestic terrorism against the people of Afghanistan. As the war evolved U.S. and NATO forces increased in number to also provide necessary security training and infrastructure development for a free and democratic Afghanistan.
The Iron Horse Division cased its colors again, June 24, 2013, symbolizing the beginning of the Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion’s one-year deployment to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. The division deployed part of its headquarters to support NATO’s International Security Assistance Force Regional Command-South in its mission to support and enable Afghanistan’s National Security Forces to conduct security operations and create the necessary conditions to promote economic development and governance in the Kandahar, Zabul, Uruzgan and Daykundi provinces.
After returning from their deployment to Regional Command-South, Afghanistan, the 4th Inf. Div. received the Army’s Regionally Allocated Forces mission in Europe. Arriving in Europe Feb. 13, 2015, the 4th Inf. Div. Mission Command Element served as an intermediate headquarters for U.S. Army Europe, operating in support of Atlantic Resolve.
The 4th Inf. Div. headquarters was the first division-level headquarters to deploy to Europe as part of the regionally allocated forces concept. The MCE is a headquarters element tailored to provide mission command for all U.S. ground forces participating in Atlantic Resolve, and oversees continuous, enhanced multinational training and security cooperation activities with allies and partners in Eastern Europe, to include countries of Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Germany. The division headquarters deployed to Afghanistan in December 2018.
The 4th Inf. Div. has earned 22 campaign streamers for participation in World War I, World War II, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Since World War I, 21 Soldiers were awarded the nation’s highest honor, the Medal of Honor. Staff Sgt. Clinton L. Romesha and Staff Sgt. Ty Michael Carter are two recent Soldiers to receive the nation’s highest military award for extraordinary gallantry and selfless actions during the Battle of Kamdesh at Combat Outpost Keating, Afghanistan, on Oct. 3, 2009. Capt. Florent A. Groberg was the latest Iron Horse Soldier to receive the Medal of Honor from the President, Nov. 12, 2015.
The division remains regionally engaged supporting multiple operations and mission sets the world round, from North America to Europe, Afghanistan and abroad. 4th Inf. Div. Soldiers demonstrate unparalleled competence, character and agility in their training and their mission. Ivy Soldiers are fit, disciplined and trained to the 4th Inf. Div. fundamentals – prepared to fight and win, whenever and wherever called.
1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division
The “Raider” Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, was constituted Nov. 19, 1917, in the Regular Army as Headquarters Troop, 4th Division. The unit participated in World War I and was involved in numerous campaigns including Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Champagne, and Lorraine.
It reorganized July 6, 1942 as Headquarters Company, 4th Division in preparation for the initial assault into Normandy. Following the end of the World War II, the unit was inactivated March 12, 1946 at Camp Butner, North Carolina. The 1st Brigade served in Vietnam operating in numerous operations and counteroffensives. On Oct. 15, 1995, the brigade inactivated at Fort Carson, Colorado, but was reactivated at Fort Hood, Texas Jan. 16, 1996.
In March 2003, the Raider Brigade deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. On Dec. 13, 2003, 600 Raider Brigade Soldiers, along with Special Operations forces, launched operation Red Dawn which resulted in capturing the former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.
The Raider Brigade was reorganized and redesignated as the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, in 2004. The brigade deployed again to Iraq in January 2006 fulfilling its second rotation in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
The Raider Brigade deployed for the third time in March 2008, this time to the southern side of Baghdad during the peak of sectarian violence across Baghdad. After successful provincial elections in January 2009, the Raider Brigade returned to Fort Hood the following March. In the summer of 2009 the 1st Brigade conducted a move from Fort Hood to Fort Carson.
In September 2009, the brigade received orders to become the first heavy brigade combat team to deploy to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. The brigade deployed in July 2010 and operated in two regional commands in the south and west. Combined Task Force Raider fought and trained side by side with the Afghan National Security Forces and International Security Assistance Forces partners from Herat and Farah to Kandahar and Arghandab.
The Raider Brigade deployed most recently in February 2013 to support Operation Spartan Shield in Kuwait. The majority of the unit was tasked as theater reserve and based out of Camp Buehring, Kuwait, while elements of the brigade operated with SECFOR North and SECFOR South. The unit provided joint security and training operations between the Kuwaiti military forces as well as the Jordanian military.
In March 2014, the Raider Brigade began its conversion from an armored brigade to a Stryker brigade combat team, trading in its M1 Abrams tanks and Bradley Infantry Fighting vehicles for the Stryker combat vehicles. The Stryker brigade combat team combines the capacity for rapid deployment with survivability and tactical mobility, enabling Soldiers to maneuver within the close confines of urban terrain, provide protection in open terrain, and transport infantry quickly to critical battlefield positions.
Throughout 2015 and 2016, the Raider Brigade tested the mettle of the Stryker combat vehicle through numerous training exercises, a rotation to the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California, and supported several missions and exercises worldwide. The brigade deployed to Afghanistan from May 2018 to February 2019.
2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division
The “Warhorse” Brigade, 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized) was constituted Nov. 19, 1917, in the regular Army as Headquarters, 7 Infantry Brigade, an element of the 4th Division. It was then organized in December 1917 at Camp Greene, North Carolina.
The brigade served valiantly during World War I and earned battlefield streamers for its participation in the Aisne-Marne, Saint Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Champagne-1918 and Lorraine-1918 Campaigns.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated in March 1921 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 7th Infantry Brigade. The unit was inactivated on Sept. 21, 1921, at Camp Lewis, Washington. It was redesignated on March 23, 1925, as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 7th Brigade, and relieved on Aug. 15, 1927, from assignment to the 4th Division and assigned to the 7th Division. It was relieved on Oct. 1, 1933, from assignment to the 7th Division and assigned to the 4th Division. It was redesignated on Aug. 24, 1936, as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 7th Infantry Brigade and disbanded on Oct. 16, 1939.
With tensions rising in the Republic of Vietnam, the brigade was reconstituted on Aug. 21, 1963, in the regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division and activated Oct. 1, 1963, at Fort Lewis, Washington. During the Vietnam War, the 2nd Brigade received battlefield streamers for participation in eleven combat campaigns.
After the Vietnam War, the brigade fought the rest of the Cold War while stationed at Fort Carson until it was inactivated in 1989.
Subsequently reactivated Dec. 15, 1995, at Fort Hood, Texas, the brigade led the Army's Force XXI experimentation and validation, shaping the force of the 21st Century.
The Warhorse Brigade has participated in many operations of the War On Terror, fighting to invade and secure Iraq as well as Afghanistan. In March 2003, the 2nd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, deployed to the Middle East in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. In late 2006, the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, moved from Fort Hood, Texas to Fort Carson, Colorado.
In 2003-2004, 2005-2007, and 2008-2010 the brigade deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Meanwhile, 4th Brigade or “the Mountain Warrior Brigade” deployed in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2016, to various regions of Afghanistan to further bring stability to the region. During this time, in 2015, the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, was realigned under the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division. The Department of the Army announced in 2018 that the 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team would be coverted to a Stryker brigade. The brigade's most recent deployment was to Afghanistan in 2018 where Warhorse Soldiers served on missions in Kandahar, Bagram, Dwyer, and Tarin Kowt in support of the Resolute Support Mission to train, advise, and assist Afghan National Defense Security Forces.
3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division
The 3rd Brigade was constituted Nov. 19, 1917 in the Regular Army as Headquarters, 8th Infantry Brigade, as an element of the 4th Division. It was organized in December 1917 at Camp Greene, N.C. The brigade has been reorganized and redesignated several times over the years. Finally, on Dec. 15, 1970, it was activated at Fort Carson, Colo., as 3rd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division.
When the Division Headquarters moved to Fort Hood, Texas in 1995, the brigade remained at Fort Carson and was redesignated as the 3rd Brigade Combat Team. In May 2006, the brigade completed its transformation to the Army’s modular design.
The brigade has received numerous campaign participation credits, including Aisne-Marne and Meuse-Argonne During World War I; Counteroffensive, Phases II-VI, and Tet Counteroffensive in Vietnam; and Operation Iraqi Freedom I of the War on Terrorism to name a few. A few of its more prestigious decorations include the Presidential Unit Citation, the Valorous Unit Award, the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm, and the Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal, First Class.
The 3rd BCT has deployed four times in a span of seven years in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom; from 2003-2004, 2005-2006, 2007-2008 and later, Operation New Dawn from 2010-2011. In Iraq, the brigade’s mission included several key areas: neutralizing the anti-Iraqi forces, building a capable Iraqi Security Force, legitimizing a responsive government, and putting Iraqis in the lead. During the latter half of Operation Iraqi Freedom and the beginning of Operation New Dawn, from March 2010-2011, the 3rd BCT had the mission to serve as an advise and assist brigade responsible for advising, training, and assisting Iraqi Security Forces.
During 2012, 3rd BCT sent more than 300 of its officers and senior noncommissioned officers in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. These 3rd BCT Security Forces Assistance Teams deployed on a mission to the southern provinces of Afghanistan to help mentor and train current Afghan National Security Forces. 3rd BCT was one of the first brigades in the Army to be given
In April 2013, the 3rd BCT was redesignated as the 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team. The 3rd ABCT, “Iron” Brigade, is comprised of more than 4,000 Soldiers, including 4th Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment; the 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment; the 1st Battalion, 66th Armor Regiment; the 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment; the 3rd Battalion, 29th Field Artillery Regiment; the 588th Engineer Battalion; and 64th Brigade Support Battalion.
In February 2015, the 3rd ABCT deployed to Southwest Asia in support of U.S. Central Command. During the nine-month deployment, the unit provided combatant commanders a versatile, responsive, and consistently available force to meet requirements across a range of military operations in the region. These military operations included ongoing operational and contingency operations, operational support and theater security cooperation activities, as well as bilateral and multilateral military exercises that extended over 15 countries throughout the region.
Iron Brigade Soldiers spent the 2016 summer completing Iron Strike, CALFEX, EFMB, Gunnery, and a rotation to the National Training Center in Fort Irwin, California, for a Europe deployment in support of Operation Atlantic Resolve in early 2017. The brigade deployed to Kuwait in March 2019.
4th Combat Aviation Brigade
The “Iron Eagles” were first constituted April 1, 1957 as the 4th Aviation Company, assigned to the 4th Infantry Division and activated at Fort Lewis, Washington. The unit was reorganized and re-designated Oct. 1, 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Aviation Battalion.
The 4th Aviation Battalion deployed to the Republic of Vietnam in September 1966, where it participated in multiple campaigns, and was awarded two Republic of Vietnam Crosses of Gallantry, and one Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal. The unit redeployed back to the United States in 1970. It was inactivated Dec. 4, 1970 at Fort Lewis.
4th Aviation Battalion was re-designated Nov. 21, 1972 as Aviation Company, 4th Infantry Division, and activated at Fort Carson, Colorado. It was again reorganized and re-designated March 17, 1980 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Aviation Battalion, and again Aug. 16, 1987 as 4th Aviation Regiment. In 1995, the unit was relocated to Fort Hood, Texas, with the 4th Infantry Division. On Oct. 1, 2005, the unit was again re-designated as the 4th Aviation Regiment.
The 4th Combat Aviation Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, was inactivated in September 2011 at Fort Hood and was reactivated July 2, 2013, at Fort Carson.
The 4th Combat Aviation Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, deployed twice in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, once in 2005 and again in 2008, and was awarded two Meritorious Unit Citations. The unit deployed again in 2010 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, after which the brigade was awarded a Valorous Unit Award. Task Force Iron Eagle supported 22 allied nations across four regional commands, the largest geographical area of any combat aviation brigade. The brigade’s most recent deployment was in November 2015, where the “Iron Eagle” Soldiers deployed to Afghanistan again, this time in support of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel where they conducted full-spectrum aviation operations, assisting in providing security and stability to the region.
In addition to providing support to the mission of the 4th Infantry Division, providing aerial support to the brigade combat teams, home station training, and other units of the Fort Carson and theater, the 4th CAB Soldiers also give lifesaving support in emergencies. An example of this support is the units’ actions during the 2013 Black Forest fires and the Boulder floods. They flew more than 913 missions and dropped 700,000 gallons of water during the Black Forest fires. The Iron Eagles contributed to the largest airlift evacuation since hurricane Katrina in the Boulder floods, and the brigade also volunteered more than 560 hours outside of military operations to help with the recovery of the communities during both of these natural disasters. The professional Soldiers of the 4th Combat Aviation Brigade are routinely requested to provide critical aviation support to the installation and community and volunteers with more than 25 different nonprofit, veteran, and state organizations throughout southern Colorado. The brigade deployed to Europe from June 2018 to March 2019.
4th Sustainment Brigade
The unit was constituted into the Regular Army on Jan. 18, 1966 as the 43rd General Support Group. The unit was activated on March 26, 1966 at Fort Carson, Colorado and organized on May 16, 1966. The first battalion to join the Group was the 68th Transportation Battalion which was activated in August 1966. Three more battalions joined the Group in 1967: 195th Maintenance Battalion on Feb. 23; 242nd Maintenance Battalion on Feb. 25; and 70th Ordnance Battalion on March 1.
On July 26, 1967, acting on a seven-hour notification, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 43rd and 352nd Transportation Company (Light Truck) deployed to Selfridge Air Force Base, Michigan, to provide logistical support for the elements of the XVIII Airborne Corps during riot control operations. In August and September 1967, units of the group deployed to Alaska during severe flooding to establish a field laundry site. In 1968, the organization of the group changed: the 336th Ordnance Battalion joined the Group May 20 and the 242nd Maintenance Battalion, one of the group’s original members, inactivated Aug. 25. In addition to group organization changes, the 336th Ordnance Battalion deployed to Southeast Asia Sept. 26, 1968.
In 1970 three military police companies (19th, 148th and 984th) and the 283rd Aviation Company joined the group in May; the 40th Supply and Service Company joined the group in November; and the 195th Maintenance Battalion (another of the group’s original members) inactivated Dec. 4. In 1971 the 283rd Aviation Company was transferred to Fort Bragg in June; the 4th Military Police Company joined the group; and a third original member, the 70th Ordnance Battalion, was inactivated in November. In 1972 the 19th Military Police Battalion was formed as a headquarters for the Military Police companies; the 52nd Engineer Battalion joined the group in July; and the 4th Military Intelligence Company and B Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger) joined the group in August. The group was redesignated as the 43rd Corps Support Group in 1973.
The 43rd served in Operation Desert Shield & Desert Storm; Operation Continue Hope; Operation Sea Signal; Operation Iraqi Freedom; and Operation Enduring Freedom.
Effective July 17, 2008, the 43rd Area Support Group was redesignated as the 43rd Sustainment Brigade. As part of the reorganization, the 43rd Brigade Special Troops Battalion and 230th Financial Management Company (FMCO) were activated and the 10th Combat Support Hospital and 4th Engineer Battalion were reassigned away from the brigade.
The 43rd Sustainment Brigade was redesignated the 4th Sustainment Brigade, 4th Infantry Division effective July 9, 2015. As part of the reorganization, 4th Sustainment Brigade integrated fully into the overall 4th Infantry Division command at Fort Carson to continue the outstanding support for 4th Infantry Division and Fort Carson Soldiers.
The 4th Division Artillery (DIVARTY) began its story as Headquarters Battery, 4th Field Artillery Brigade, “Iron Gunner,” Nov. 19, 1917, under the command of Maj. Gen. Edwin Babbit, and was assigned to the 4th Division. The unit was organized for combat operations at Camp Greene, North Carolina, from Dec 15, 1917 to Jan. 10, 1918. Headquarters, 4th Field Artillery Brigade, departed for World War I in Europe in the winter of 1918. Campaign participation included actions at Meuse-Argonne, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Champagne 1918, and Lorraine 1918. Upon returning stateside, the 4th Field Artillery Brigade was stationed at Camp Lewis, Washington, where it was inactivated Sept. 21, 1921 following the Armistice that ended World War I. The 4th Field Artillery Brigade was redesignated at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, Jan. 1, 1935, then was disbanded again Nov. 14, 1939.
Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Field Artillery, was reconstituted Sept. 10, 1940 as Headquarters Battery,
4th DIVARTY. The unit was activated Oct. 1, 1940, at Fort Benning, Georgia, under the command of Brig. Gen. Julian Barnes. Following reactivation, the unit deployed to Europe for combat operations against the Axis. Campaign participation included action at Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central-Europe. 4th Division Artillery was inactivated March 5, 1946 at Camp Butler, North Carolina.
On July 6, 1948, at Fort Ord, California, the 4th DIVARTY was again activated. On April 1, 1957, at Fort Lewis, Washington, the 4th DIVARTY was reorganized and redesignated as the 4th Infantry Division Artillery.
With the escalation of the Vietnam conflict, the 4th Infantry Division Artillery again followed the 4th Inf. Div. into battle. On July 21, 1966, from Fort Lewis, Washington, and under the command of Brig Gen. Joseph Cutrona, the 4th Inf. Div. began deploying to South Vietnam. The DIVARTY would spend the next four years in South Vietnam providing fire support for the “Ivy” Division Soldiers during intense close combat operations. Campaign participation in Vietnam included action during Tet 69/Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive, Tet Counteroffensive, and Counteroffensive phases III-VII. By December 1970, the 4th DIVARTY returned from South Vietnam to Fort Carson, Colorado. Also during 1970, 4th DIVARTY was redesignated as 4th DIVARTY (Mechanized). This last redesignation nicknamed the unit “Iron Gunners,” which complemented the “Iron Horse” Division.
With the realignment and downsizing of the Army force, 4th DIVARTY was reassigned to Fort Hood, Texas on Dec. 15, 1995, where it replaced the inactivating 2nd Armored Division Artillery.
On Dec. 16, 2004, the 4th DIVARTY began the transformation and restructuring process to become the 4th Fires Brigade, the Army’s first modular fires brigade, dividing all battalions except the 2nd Battalion, 20th Field Artillery Regiment, among the new brigade combat teams (BCTs) as fire support elements.
In 2007, the 4th Fires Brigade was inactivated and its headquarters reflagged as HHB, 41st Fires Brigade.
In October 2014, the DIVARTY was reconstituted as part of the division and activated in October 2015 with oversight of 2nd Battalion, 12th Field Artillery Regiment; 2nd Battalion, 77th Field Artillery Regiment; and 3rd Battalion, 29th Field Artillery Regiment.
4th Infantry Division Band
The Continental Army of 1776 depended upon quality musicians for regimental drill. The inspiration of the marching band was a significant contribution in the victory at the Battle of Bennington in 1777 as the band led the troops to the battle. By 1832, almost all regiments had a band, and by mid-19th century, regiments had additional field musicians of drummers and buglers to sound calls for specific times and to transmit commands
From the first formations of the Continental Army, bands were included in the ranks to provide music for two main purposes: ceremonial functions and bolstering troop morale. Army bands have borne the customs and traditions of the Army service, incorporating the legends and practices of the past, and representing them in the present. The band carries lineage and tradition of their units into the public view as they march as the vanguard of a wide variety of traditional ceremonies. The mace, the baldric, and the drums of an Army band display the battle honors of the division or unit it serves. In ways that written or spoken language cannot adequately convey, the patriotic music encourages an element of bonded spirit among all Soldiers. Army bands are a living testament of Army tradition.
The 4th Infantry Division Band was constituted July 30, 1943, as the Band, 4th Infantry Division, and activated at Fort Dix, N.J., Aug. 4, 1943. On Oct. 1, 1943, the band was consolidated with Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 4th Infantry Division Trains, and redesignated as Headquarters, Headquarters and Band, 4th Infantry Division Support Command.
Redesignated Dec. 1, 1943, as the 4th Infantry Division Band, the band traveled to Europe with the division and performed in England, France and Germany during World War II. The band’s tour lasted until early 1946 and entitled the band to battle streamers for Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. Upon returning to Camp Butner, N.C., the band was deactivated March 12, 1946.
The band was reactivated July 15, 1947, at Fort Ord, Calif., and traveled to Fort Benning, Ga., before moving to Germany in 1951. The 4th Infantry Division Band stayed in Germany supporting the North Atlantic Treaty Organization from 1951-1956 when it returned to the United States and was stationed at Fort Lewis, Wash.
On Nov. 1, 1965, the band was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters, Headquarters Company and Band, 4th Infantry Division Support Command.
In September 1966, the band arrived at the Division Base Camp south of Pleiku, South Vietnam. The band performed military ceremonies and Christmas concerts there as well as various forward areas in the vicinity of Plei Djerong. In addition, the band supported the 3rd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division, the Pleiku Sub-Area Command (First Logistical Command), I Field Forces Vietnam and the U.S. Air Force units located in the Pleiku area. In 1967, the band provided ceremonial music and musical entertainment for military and civilian audiences in the locations from Ban Me Thuot and Qui Nhon to Chu Lai and Dak To. For its work in Vietnam during the period of Nov. 1, 1967, through Oct. 31, 1968, the band was awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation. For its cumulative efforts in Vietnam during the period 1966-1970, the band also earned two Vietnamese Gallantry Crosses with Palm; a Vietnam Civil Actions Unit Citation; and battle streamers for Counteroffensive Phase II, Counteroffensive Phase III, Tet Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V, Tet 69 Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive and Counteroffensive Phase VII.
The band returned to the United States and moved to Fort Carson where it stayed from 1970 to 1995. In 1995, the band moved with the Headquarters, 4th Infantry Division to Fort Hood, Texas. During the period of persistent conflict since 2001, the 4th Infantry Division Band has supported Operation Iraqi Freedom three times, resulting in the awarding of three more Meritorious Unit Commendations.
After a 14-year absence, the 4th Infantry Division Band has returned to Fort Carson. Half of the band deployed in support of Operation New Dawn in 2010. The band’s modular approach to deployment allowed it to support USD-North and the Fort Carson and Colorado Springs communities simultaneously.
If interested in requesting the 4th Infantry Division Band, completion of a Department of Defense Form 2536 https://www.carson.army.mil/assets/docs/pao/dd-2536.pdf is required. Please complete and email the form to email@example.com as soon as possible. Submitting the attached form a year prior to your event is recommended; however, a minimum of a 180-day advance notice is now required when requesting external community support from Fort Carson.
10th Special Forces Group
The 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) and the history of the United States Army Special Forces are intertwined, since the group is the oldest Special Forces Group in the Army.
The establishment of the Group on June 19, 1952, was also the establishment of Special Forces. The history of the group begins with the formation of the Office of Strategic Services under the command of Brig. Gen. William O. “Wild Bill” Donovan in 1942. Its missions took the unit behind enemy lines in every theater of operations during World War II. Americans, British, French, Belgians, Dutch, South Africans, New Zealanders and Canadians all filled the ranks of the OSS. In France, small elements called “Jedburgh teams” were employed to assist the allied landings and subsequent breakouts at both Normandy and Provence.
The official lineage and colors of the group go back to the 1st Special Service Force, a joint U.S.-Canadian Army force established in 1942, at Fort William Henry Harrison in Helena, Mont., for the conduct of winter commando-type operations in Europe.
The 10th SFG(A) is assigned to the U.S. Army’s Special Forces Command in Fort Bragg, N.C., but headquartered at Fort Carson. The approximate 2,000 Soldiers assigned to the 10th SFG(A) train for and conduct combat, unconventional warfare, special reconnaissance and foreign internal defense missions.
The 10th SFG(A) consists of the Group Headquarters, the Group Support Battalion and four combat battalions; three are based at Fort Carson and one battalion is forward deployed to Panzer Kaserne in Stuttgart, Germany.
4th Engineer Battalion
The 4th Engineer Battalion, “The Vanguard of the 4th Division,” saw action in the Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II and Vietnam. It was organized Dec. 31, 1861, in Washington, D.C., from new and existing companies of engineers as a provisional engineer battalion. It was constituted July 28, 1866, as the Battalion of Engineers.
The Battalion of Engineers was reorganized on Feb. 26, 1901. During the Spanish-American War, the battalion saw action in Cuba, taking part in the Santiago campaign. It later served briefly in the Philippine Insurrection.
Upon the United States’ entry into World War I, the battalion, now known as the 2nd Regiment of Engineers, was expanded to form three engineer regiments (2nd, 4th, and 5th). The 4th Regiment, redesignated as the 4th Engineers on Aug. 29, 1917, was assigned to the 4th Division Jan. 1, 1918. During the war, the 4th took part in five campaigns: Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Champagne 1918, and Lorraine 1918. In 1921, the 4th Engineers was inactivated at Camp Lewis, Washington.
Between 1927-1933, the unit was reassigned to support the 6th Division, and six years later it was redesignated as the 4th Engineer Battalion activated (less Company A, which activated July 24, 1922, at Fort Bragg, N.C.) June 1, 1940, at Fort Benning, Georgia. In reorganizations and redesignations the 4th Engineer Motorized Battalion (September 1942) then the 4th Engineer Combat Battalion (August 1943) were formed.
Elements of the 4th Engineer Combat Battalion were in the first wave of assault troops to hit the beaches of Normandy in the early hours of D-day. The combat engineers of the 4th Eng. Bn. cleared Utah Beach of mines and opened a road for elements of the famed 8th and 22nd infantry regiments. The battalion took part in the fighting in the Huertgen Forest, where it earned a Presidential Unit Citation. In all, the 4th Engineer Battalion took part in five World War II campaigns.
Soon after World War II ended, the unit was inactivated Feb. 19, 1946, at Camp Butner, North Carolina. This did not last long however, with reactivation July 6, 1948 at Fort Ord, California, and subsequent redesignation as the 4th Engineer Battalion in June 1953.
The unit supported operations in Vietnam, including during the Tet Offensive of 1968. In July 1966, elements of the 4th Engineer Battalion arrived at Pleiku, Republic of Vietnam and established the battalion headquarters at Camp Enari. In addition to multiple construction and defense projects, the Engineers of the 4th were also committed as infantry on several occasions, defending Pleiku against enemy attack. In all, the 4th took part in eleven campaigns during the Vietnam War. Company A, 4th Engineer Battalion, earned two Presidential Unit Citations, while Company C earned a Valorous Unit Award. The entire battalion earned a Meritorious Unit Commendation along with several citations from the Republic of Vietnam.
During the initial stages of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the 4th Engineer Battalion crossed the border into Iraq on April 14, 2003. Stationed north of Baghdad, sappers of the 4th Eng. Bn. conducted numerous reconstruction projects, destroyed countless ammunition caches, conducted presence patrols and were subsequently awarded the Valorous Unit Award upon redeployment. The battalion was inactivated Dec. 15, 2004, and was later reactivated Oct. 18, 2006 at Fort Carson as the 4th Engineer Battalion (Combat Effects) a part of 555th Engineer Brigade based out of Fort Lewis, Washington.
In February 2009, the battalion deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and was subsequently redeployed to southern Afghanistan to perform route clearance missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom until redeployment in February 2010. Its deployment to Iraq and redeployment to Afghanistan was the first subsequent redeployment mission since World War II.
As of the Summer of 2014 and the return of its last company from Afghanistan, the 4th Engineer Battalion and its subsequent engineer companies, currently have 28 months of continuous service in OIF and OEF with a combined total of 37 months during that 28-month period due to having multiple Engineer Companies deployed separately at the same time. The 4th Engineer Battalion has accrued more than 95 months of combined deployment time in support of the Global War on Terrorism from 2003 to 2014, with its most recent deployment to Afghanistan from August 2013 to May 2014.
The 4th Engineer Battalion is one of the Engineer Regiment’s oldest and most decorated battalions. The 4th Engineer Battalion’s unit decorations include the Presidential Unit Citation, the Valorous Unit Award and the Meritorious Unit Commendation.
71st EOD Group
The 71st Ordnance Group (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) was activated and redesignated as an EOD group at Fort Carson Oct. 16, 2005, at which time the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment was swiftly positioned to deploy in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom as the Combined Joint Task Force Troy, where the organization earned two Joint Meritorious Unit Awards while being responsible for the Counter Improvised Explosive Device fight and proved its resoluteness in defeating the enemy’s primary weapon of choice in the operation. The 71st Ordnance Group recently returned from deployment to Operation Enduring Freedom serving as Combined Joint Task Force Paladin. Their mission was to train the force, defeat the device, attack the network and enable justice. CJTF Paladin managed the U.S. EOD assets and coordinated with multi-national EOD assets throughout Afghanistan.
The official lineage of the 71st Ordnance Group (EOD) was firmly planted on the European battlefront of World War II. Originally constituted in the U.S. Army July 17, 1944, it was formally activated in France July 23, 1944. The 71st EOD Group saw service in the European theater of operations earning campaign streamers for Normandy, Northern France, the Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe, before its deactivation in Germany in June 1946. From there, the unit was transferred to the Reserves and underwent several reorganizations and redesignations, ending as the 361st Ordnance Group, then activating in the Ready Reserves in March 1947 until it inactivated in April 1954. One year later, the group was returned to the regular Army and activated May 13, 1955 in Germany as the 71st Ordnance Group until it inactivated in June 1959. The 71st Ordnance Group remained inactive until it was reactivated in Korea in December 1962 and inactivated Jan. 1, 1966, in the Republic of Korea.
The 71st Ordnance Group (EOD) is one of two active-duty EOD groups in the U.S. Army and has an additional responsibility to support U.S. Northern Command as a homeland response asset. With the largest concentration of EOD Soldiers in the Army, the group consists of the headquarters, three subordinate battalions, and a separate WMD company. The group’s units are positioned strategically west of the Mississippi River to provide timely EOD support across the western U.S. area of operations.
759th Military Police Battalion
The 759th Military Police Battalion was constituted Aug. 19, 1942, and activated Sept. 15, 1942, at Fort Ontario, N.Y. The battalion remained at Fort Ontario undergoing training until March 1943 when it moved to New York City and was engaged in dock security.
The 759th supported the war effort in Europe during World War II with 12th Army Group, 3rd Army and 7th Army. Following the war, it served in Berlin, training the new German police force and providing security in the American sector. The unit was inactivated Nov. 2, 1953.
The battalion was activated again June 6, 1968, at Fort Dix, N.J., and reorganized Nov. 2, 1970. On June 3, 1974, the 555th MP Company was transferred to Fort Lee, Va. The battalion supported Cuban resettlement operations in 1980-1981 at Fort McCoy, Wis.
The 759th Military Police Battalion was relocated to Fort Carson in 1987. From Aug. 6, 1990, to Dec. 4, 1990, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and the 984th MP Company deployed to Panama in support of Operation Promote Liberty. Their mission was to protect U.S. citizens, U.S. property and U.S. interests in support of the nation-building process.
In 1991, the battalion deployed in support of operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. The battalion was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation and Streamer embroidered SOUTHWEST ASIA.
From 1992-1993, the 984th MP Company deployed to Somalia in support of Operation Restore Hope. The company was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Award. From Sept. 9, 1994, to Jan. 23, 1995, the headquarters detachment and the 59th MP Company deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Their mission was to provide humanitarian and civil affairs operations in support of Cuban and Haitian migrant camps. For their efforts, the battalion was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Award and Streamer embroidered GUANTANAMO BAY.
In 1999, the 759th MP Bn. was awarded the Superior Unit Citation for distinguishing itself by deploying and redeploying subordinate units and individual Soldiers in support of two major contingency operations, three major training exercises, and numerous secretary of defense and U.S. Army Forces Command support missions, while simultaneously providing force protection and law enforcement support of the Fort Carson community.
Following Sept. 11, 2001, the battalion deployed to the Military District of Washington in support of Operation Noble Eagle. There they provided security to the Pentagon.
In September 2002, the 984th MP Company deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Soldiers provided security at the detention facilities and were involved in multiple air-bridge missions to Afghanistan. In 2003, the 59th MP Company deployed to Baghdad, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The company was located at Camp Victory and conducted numerous patrols in the vicinity of the camp as both law enforcement and combat operations.
In January 2004, the battalion deployed to Baghdad, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Upon arrival into theater, the battalion was put in charge of numerous Iraqi police stations on the east side of the Tigris River. In October 2004, the battalion moved to Abu Ghraib prison to support the 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion and 1st Cavalry Division in Fallujah. Soldiers from the 984th MP Company and 630th MP Company provided security to the major access roads into Fallujah, allowing freedom of movement for coalition forces.
The Lone Sentinel Battalion once again was called to Iraq in Support of OIF 06-08, departing Fort Carson Aug. 24, 2006, and serving in Iraq until its redeployment Nov. 12, 2007. The 759th MP Battalion was the first MP battalion to endure the 15-month deployment. Serving alongside the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, and the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, in East Baghdad, the 759th oversaw the equipping and training of the Iraqi police in more than 60 Iraqi police stations there. The Task Force logged more than 1 million miles on the road and conducted more than 60,000 combat patrols during its combat service in Iraq. In July 2007, the 59th MP Company deployed as a part of the U.S. Forces’ “surge” effort, serving with Task Force Lone Sentinel until the battalion colors redeployed in September 2008.
The 110th MP Company was deployed in support of OIF 08-09 May 2008. It returned after serving a 15-month tour to the Baghdad AOR in August 2009.
The 148th MP Company continuously rotates military working dog teams through individual K-9 deployments.
The 759th Military Police Battalion remains one of the premier military police battalions of the U.S. Army.
440th Civil Affairs Battalion
The 440th Civil Affairs Battalion was constituted Sept. 20, 1950, in the Organized Reserve Corps as the 440th Military Government Company and activated Oct. 1, 1950, at Wenatchee, Washington.
Reorganized and redesignated Aug. 13, 1956, as the 440th Civil Affairs and Military Government Company then redesignated Dec. 10, 1959, as the 440th Civil Affairs Company. The unit was inactivated Feb. 29, 1968, at Wenatchee, Washington.
On Jan. 12, 2009, the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 440th Civil Affairs Battalion was constituted with the battalion activated Sept. 16, 2012 at Fort Carson.
Although Civil Affairs and Psychological Operations activities often complement each other, each battle system operates individually in support of field commanders.
Civil Affairs Soldiers are the field commander’s link to the civil authorities in his area of operations. With specialists in every area of the government, they can assist a host government meet its people’s needs and maintain a stable and viable civil administration.
Civil affairs units help military commanders by working with civil authorities and civilian populations in the commander’s area of operations to lessen the impact of military operations on them during peace, contingency operations and declared war. Civil Affairs forces support activities of both conventional and Special Operations Forces, and are capable of assisting and supporting the civil administration in the area of operations.
Civil affairs specialists can quickly and systematically identify critical requirements needed by local citizens in war or disaster situations. They can also locate civil resources to support military operations, help minimize civilian interference with operations, support national assistance activities, plan and execute noncombatant evacuation, support counter-drug operations, and establish and maintain liaison or dialogue with civilian aid agencies and civilian commercial and private organizations.
In support of Special Operations, these culturally oriented, linguistically capable Soldiers may also be tasked to provide functional expertise for foreign internal defense operations, unconventional warfare operations and direct action missions.
The functional structure of civil affairs forces and their expertise, training, and orientation provide a capability for emergency coordination and administration where political-economic structures have been incapacitated. They can help plan U.S. government interagency procedures for national or regional emergencies. They can assist civil-military planning and military support operations for theater commanders in chief. Additionally, they can coordinate military resources to support government operations, emergency actions and humanitarian assistance from natural, man-made, or war-related causes. The 95th Civil Affairs Brigade (Airborne) and 85th Civil Affairs Brigade (Airborne) are the only active Army civil affairs units. The units consist of four battalions, regionally oriented to work in specific areas of the world. The unit is readily available to deploy and provides primarily tactical support. Civil affairs Soldiers continue to support Special Operations and conventional forces in the OIF and OEF theaters of operation.
The remaining 96 percent of the Army’s civil affairs forces are found in four civil affairs commands, subordinate brigades and battalions in the Army Reserve. They provide a prime source of nation-building skills. These reserve-component civil affairs units include Soldiers with training and experience in public administration, public safety, public health, legal systems, labor management, public welfare, public finance, public education, civil defense, public works and utilities, public communications, public transportation, logistics, food and agricultural services, economics, property control, cultural affairs, civil information, and managing dislocated persons.
Civil Affairs deployments have provided tactical support to military commanders during Operation Just Cause in Panama, Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm in Southwest Asia, support to the restoration of the Panamanian government infrastructure during Operation Promote Liberty, management of Haitian refugee camps at Guantanamo Bay, natural disaster assistance in the aftermath of Hurricanes Andrew and Iniki, and assisting humanitarian efforts in Somalia.
Civil affairs experts were also called on to help rebuild the Haitian civilian infrastructure during Operation Uphold Democracy. Active and Reserve CA units have also participated in the ongoing NATO peacekeeping operations in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Kosovo, as well as other operations and exercises around the world.
13th Air Support Operations Squadron (U.S. Air Force)
The 13th Air Support Operations Squadron traces its unit heritage back to the 13th Air Support Communications Squadron, Jan. 11, 1943. It was redesignated as the 13th Tactical Air Communications Squadron Feb. 29, 1944, but deactivated shortly thereafter April 15, 1944. The squadron was later reactivated in its current state as the 13th Air Support Operations Squadron at Fort Carson July 1, 1994.
Unofficially known as the “Gunslingers” (a nickname given by the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment), the Airmen of the 13th ASOS currently provide close air support to the 4th Infantry Division and its subordinate brigades. The Tactical Air Control Party Forward Air Controllers, now called Joint Terminal Attack Controllers, have a long and proud history of providing close air support to the United States Army. TACPs, in one form or another, have served with distinction in every major U.S. military combat operation since World War II and the earliest roots of close air support operations can even be traced to World War I.
The 3rd Air Support Operations Group (ASOG) is the 13th ASOS’s higher headquarters for all mission and administrative actions, and is collocated with the Army’s III Corps at Fort Hood, Texas. The 3rd ASOG organizes, equips, trains and administers air support operations centers, TACPs and staff weather operations in support of III Corps and subordinate organizations. These units advise Army commanders and their staffs on U.S. and allied air capabilities. They also coordinate attack, airlift and reconnaissance air assets in support of joint battle plans. The 3rd ASOG’s chain of command continues through the 93rd Air Ground Operations Wing, located at Moody
Air Force Base, Ga.
The vision of the 13th ASOS is to develop a resilient, lethal, Gunslinger family.
The mission of the 13th ASOS is to enhance the joint warfighter team by providing combat mission ready Airmen to advise, integrate and control Air and Space Power in support of the 4th Infantry Division.
Army Field Support Battalion-Carson
Although Army Field Support Battalion-Carson (AFSBn-Carson) was only established as a permanent battalion in accordance with Permanent Order 198-01 on Oct. 4, 2009, the predecessors and history can be traced back to the 1940s. In the 1940s, the Army hired technical experts called civilian master mechanics through the Army’s Technical Services with the purpose of conducting hardware and equipment repairs. In the 1950s, the role of the civilian master mechanics expanded to include teaching, advising and supply assistance, much like the logistics assistance representatives (LAR) of today. With this expanded requirement, they were also renamed as mechanical or equipment advisors.
With the activation of Army Materiel Command (AMC) in 1962, the advisors were aligned under the Technical Service Program and organized under customer assistance offices (CAO) headed by colonels located at worldwide locations in most areas of strategic interest. In the 1970s, the roles and missions of the CAO expanded to include supply support, management of modification work orders and select item management. With this expansion, they were also redesignated as logistics assistance offices (LAO).
The Army began aligning LAOs with maneuver divisions in the 1980s to support projected tactical requirements in a large scale ground campaign with the primary role of providing divisional units reach back capability to the Army’s large industrial complex. The term LAO was used to indicate LARs working in a garrison environment while the term logistics support element (LSE) was adopted to denote an LAO deployed with LARS and AMC civilian contractors operating on the battlefield. This structure would remain virtually unchanged over the next decade providing support to the Warfighter.
Following Operation Desert Storm in 1991, the Department of the Army consolidated all Army war reserve stocks, including former theater reserves, into five regional materiel stockpiles; CONUS, Europe, Pacific, Southwest Asia, and Afloat. A new subordinate organization, the Army War Reserve Support Command (later redesignated the Army Field Support Command), was created in October 1996 to command and control all Army Prepositioned Stocks (APS) sets worldwide. The Department of the Army established the Army War Reserve Support Command (AWRSPTCMD) to serve as the Army’s centralized
executing agent for all APS. The command officially stood up on Nov. 25, 1996. The AWRSPTCMD began organizing and implementing the APS mission through its worldwide field organizational network. The AWRSPTCMD transitioned to the Field Support Command (FSC) on March 31, 2000. The U.S. Army Field Support Command (FSC), headquarters located at Rock Island, Illinois, was a one-star command that reported to the commander, Operations Support Command. Within FSC, there were six subordinate organizations: AMC-CONUS, AMC Forward-Europe, AMC Forward-Far East, and AMC Forward-Southwest Asia plus AMC Combat Equipment Group-Europe (AMC CEG-E) and AMC Combat Equipment Group-Afloat (AMC CEG-A), each headed by a command-designated colonel, who reported directly to the commander, Field Support Command.
During Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom, FSC continued to mature into its role as the logistics integrator for all theaters. The growth was most obvious in Southwest Asia as the brigades headquartered at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait and Balad, Iraq steadily continued to expand in mission, size, and execution. On Oct. 1, 2004, four AMC forward units were redesignated as Army Field Support Brigades (AFSB); this included AFSB-SWA (now 401st AFSB located in Kuwait), 402nd AFSB currently in transition from Kuwait to Hawaii; 405th AFSB headquartered in Europe, and 403rd AFSB in Korea. In addition, in March 2005, AFSBs CONUS East and CONUS West were formed out of the former AMC-CONUS to provide support to forces stationed in within the U.S. CONUS East (now 406th AFSB) established operations at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, while CONUS West (now 407th AFSB) set up at Fort Hood, Texas.
With the expanding role for FSC, AMC consolidated command and control by assigning the LAOs in CONUS to the AFSB in their respective areas of operation. At the same time FSC units supporting the development and deployment of Stryker units from Fort Lewis transformed into AFSB Stryker, later redesignated AFSB Pacific (now 404th AFSB). Official name changes caught up with rapid transformation in August 2005. By the end of fiscal 2005, AFSC had seven AFSBs providing support to forces in the field. Only AFSB CONUS East and West were completely new – the other five brigades were simply transformations from the AMC Forward or LSE configuration. One of the most significant challenges facing FSC was the maintenance and accountability of left behind equipment (LBE) and force generation requirements to meet demands of the theater combatant commander. To leverage existing CONUS based structures and synchronize other AMC entities in support of the growing LBE and force generation missions, AMC redesignated the LAOs as provisional battalions. On June 7, 2006, the colors of the newly designated battalions were uncased as were the official colors of the redesignated 407th AFSB (formerly AFSB CONUS-West). As the first provisional Army field support battalion activated, the LAO at Fort Carson received the designation 1/407th AFSB and picked up the tag line “Always First.” On Oct. 1, 2006 The U.S. Army Sustainment Command (ASC) activated and the U.S. Army Field Support Command was inactivated. More than a name change; the unit transformed and gained missions to become the CONUS Theater Support Command while also maintaining the seven globally deployed and CONUS based Army Field Support Brigades.
On June 1, 2008, 1/407th AFSB was redesignated as AFSBn-Carson (Provisional). The provisional designation was changed Oct. 4, 2009 with the establishment of the AFSBns as permanent in accordance with permanent order 198-01. AFSBn-Carson’s structure, through fiscal 2012, included brigade logistics support teams (BLST) in direct support to each of the four brigade combat teams (BCTs) of the 4th Infantry Division, a BLST designated for the 39th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Fort Sill, Oklahoma) and the logistics support team (LST), Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Due to logical proximity, on April 1, 2015 LST-Sill was detached from AFSBn-Carson and reassigned under AFSBn-Hood. This move facilitated timely support to the customer base and expedited reporting.
In 2015, the 4th Infantry Division reorganized eliminating its 2nd Brigade, adding a Division Artillery (DIVARTY) and reflagging its 4th Brigade as the 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team (IBCT). The 4th Infantry Division (“Iron Horse” Division) is currently comprised of the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, (Raiders), the 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, (Warhorse), the 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team (ABCT) (Iron Brigade), the 4th Combat Aviation Brigade (CAB) (Iron Eagles), and the 4th Sustainment Brigade (Rough Riders). In support of this reorganization, AFSBn-Carson also reorganized and implemented the area logistics support team (ALST) to support the 4th Sustainment Brigade and the remaining separate battalions on Fort Carson. The AFSBN-Carson acquired the Fort Carson Logistics Readiness Center in 2018, merging the two entities into one.
U.S. Army Medical Department Activity, Fort Carson
Fort Carson’s original hospital was erected in 1942 and was located between what is now Prussman Boulevard and Woodfill Road. It was made of cinderblock construction and painted buff. The ward buildings were two stories, one ward per floor, with a total of 24 buildings and 48 wards. The buildings were connected with covered cement block corridors. The hospital was designed for a normal bed capacity of 1,726 with an expansion capacity of 2,000 beds.
In July 1942, the hospital was organized as an Army Service Forces Station Hospital with a bed authorization varying from 600-1,200, depending on fluctuations in troop density. Army Service Forces Unit #5022 operated the hospital. The ASU number was an administrative designation for the unit, but the organization was usually referred to as U.S. Army Hospital Camp Fort Carson.
In September 1944, it was activated as a convalescent hospital. This facility and the station hospital already in existence provided treatment for an average 4,500 patients. In January 1945, it was redesignated as the U.S. Army General Hospital, Camp Carson, and included a convalescent hospital. The patient load gradually diminished and by April 1946, the general hospital and the convalescent hospital were inactivated and the station hospital re-established with a 400-bed authorization.
In May 1946, the Veterans Administration contracted for 100 of the station hospital’s beds. The need for bed capacity decreased after the cessation of hostilities in World War II, and by July 1947, the requirement for the Veterans Administration contract beds was eliminated. The station hospital was reduced to 100 authorized beds. This level remained in effect from 1948 to 1949.
The bed capacity of the hospital was increased to 400 because of the Korean conflict in July 1950. In February 1951, it was designated a specialized treatment center for orthopedic, psychiatric and neurological cases. In early 1952, the additional mission of a specialized treatment center for tuberculosis was added.
A 1951 report mentions the attachment of the 807th Station Hospital (300 bed capacity) from the Army Reserves. The 807th was under the operational control of the U.S. Army Hospital and ran a dispensary. Beginning with the 1955 report, the 807th is no longer mentioned and the 48th Field Hospital is mentioned as attached, but only for training, not under the operational control of the U.S. Army Hospital.
The need for specialization gradually diminished and only the mission of a Class I station hospital existed by March 1, 1954.
In 1955, when the Army Medical Department was redesignated the Army Medical Service (AMEDS), the Army Service Unit designation went away. For a couple years, records continued to mention “SU 5022” but after only mention AMEDS Activities, Fort Carson. In 1968, the Army Medical Service was redesignated the Army Medical Department and AMEDS Activities became Medical Department Activities - MEDDACs. After the establishment of the Health Services Command in 1973, the hospital unit was officially redesignated as the U.S. Army Medical Department Activity, Fort Carson, with its Soldiers assigned to a medical company. HSC was eventually reorganized to become the U.S. Army Medical Command, and the Western Regional Medical Command was later established as an intermediary command and control organization between the USAMEDCOM and the USAMEDDAC, Fort Carson.
The USAMEDDAC-Fort Carson’s mission remained the same until April 1968, when the hospital was given the additional responsibility of providing care for Vietnam War returnees. The bed capacity was increased to 340 on Oct. 1, 1968.
The post-Vietnam drawdown saw doctor shortages in the active force and fostered the routine use of large numbers of civilian health care providers in Army medical treatment facilities.
In 1970, planning began for the new Fort Carson Hospital. It was dedicated on June 5, 1986, and occupied in July. Evans Army Community Hospital is named in honor of Spec. 4 Donald W. Evans Jr., a member of Company A, 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. Evans was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Tri Tam, Republic of Vietnam, where he gave his life while administering medical aid to his fellow Soldiers.
The hospital is comprised of two distinct buildings separated by a glass-covered common area or atrium. The five-story tower on the north side of the hospital houses all inpatient units, the operating suite, the labor/delivery suite, nursery, radiology, emergency room and the nutrition care division. The two-story clinic building contains a family medicine clinic and other outpatient clinics. The atrium, which provides the main entries into the hospital, also houses patient services, such as an outpatient pharmacy, admissions and dispositions, the hospital treasurer, a gift shop and a chapel.
Adjacent to the hospital is the Woods Soldier Family Care Center. This is named for Sgt. Eric P. Woods, who served as a combat medic with the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment and was killed in action in July 2005 during combat operations in Iraq. The WSFCC houses numerous outpatient medical clinics, outpatient records, physical therapy, a family medicine clinic and a dental clinic.
The USAMEDDAC also operates the Mountain Post Behavioral Health Clinic, Robinson Family Medicine Clinic, five Embedded Behavioral Health Teams/Clinics, the Warrior Recovery Center and the Premier Army Health Clinic located in north-central Colorado Springs.
In 2007, the USAMEDCOM established a Fort Carson Warrior Transition Battalion under the command of USAMEDDAC.
The USAMEDDAC currently employs about 2,300 military and civilian staff professionals who serve a population of about 70,000 enrolled TRICARE beneficiaries from all military services, family members and retirees.
Each day, USAMEDDAC supports about 2,500 outpatient visits, 19 inpatients, 5 births, 86 Emergency Room visits, 19 operating room cases, and fills 4,447 prescriptions.
The hospital was first accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations in October 1954. Subsequent surveys have reaffirmed the hospital’s full accreditation status.
U.S. Army Dental Activity (DENTAC), Fort Carson
Camp Carson was opened in February 1942. Health care support to include dental was provided to the installation via a station hospital which was activated in June of the same year. At that time, the senior dental officer reported directly to the installation commander. In 1969, with the establishment of the Medical Department Activity (MEDDAC), the senior dental officer was designated as the director of Dental Services and reported to the hospital commander. On March 24, 1978, the Dental Health Activity (DENTAC) as it exists today was established. The DENTAC commander is again directly responsible to the local installation commanding general.
The DENTAC’s mission is to provide warrior-focused oral health with an exceptional team of professionals; dedicated to excellence and unified in service. The DENTAC’s vision is to be “America’s Leader in Warrior Centered Oral Health.”
Physically, the DENTAC is spread over six different structures. In addition to the headquarters area, there are five dental clinics: the Oral Surgery Clinic and Dental Clinic #2, located in Evans Army Community Hospital, Smith Dental Clinic, Larson Dental Clinic and Dental Clinic #1.
The DENTAC provides advanced training in general dentistry through a one-year program for up to eight residents. The Mountain Post has four dental officers directly assigned to the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team and 10th Special Forces Group.
The Dental Activity provides the full complement of diagnostic care, treatment, and consultation services to the active-duty Soldiers of the Mountain Post.