Air Travel - Employment Assistance Program

Last Updated :

Ft Hood Services and Support for Soldiers and Families


Quality of life means having fast and responsive services that meet the needs of Soldiers and Family members.


Fort Hood Regional Airport in Killeen is conveniently located. For more information, visit it online at Many major airlines offer services to the Fort Hood area. For official travel, visit Carlson Wagonlit SATO Travel at the Copeland Soldiers Service Center, Building 18010. For reservations and ticketing, call 800-627-3498 or 866-877-8483; for air and bus travel, call 254-287-7600; for overseas PCS travel arrangements, call 254-287-5255; for overseas PCSFamily travel, call 254-287-6101; for group travel services (10 or more), call 254-287-4089. For calls after normal business hours and emergencies, call 800-468-2986. Another great way to travel is with the Information, Ticketing and Registration office. ITR is located near Military Clothing Sales store in Building 136. Unit/group tours are available too. Call ITR at 254-554-6800.


The SFL-TAP center provides transition assistance to Soldiers who are separating from active duty, Department of Defense civilian employees in a reduction-in-force status or who are retiring, and their Family members. All transitioning Soldiers receive pre-separation counseling. This includes benefits information, career guidance, job search skills development, job search assistance, veteran’s benefits counseling and other guidance relevant to a thorough transition. SFL-TAP staff members also conduct unit briefing about policies, procedures and services. They also sponsor two Mega Career Fairs, in January and June, drawing hundreds of employers to Fort Hood. Call 254-288-2227, or 254-288-(JOBS) 5627 for information and location of services. The following website offers resources in preparation for separation from the Army:


The first place to stop for information on service and support is the Army Community Service in the Rivers Building 121, across from the Mega Food Court. Army Community Service is an empowered team that provides comprehensive, coordinated and responsive advocacy and prevention, information and referral, outreach, financial, employment, Soldier and Family readiness, exceptional Family member and relocation assistance services that support the readiness and well-being of Soldiers and their Families, civilian employees and retirees. ACS sponsors free classes and workshops on a wide range of topics. To learn more, check out the full offerings at or call 254-287-4ACS.


AER provides assistance to Soldiers and their Family members in some emergency situations, such as paying rent to prevent eviction, paying utilities to prevent disconnection and buying food to prevent deprivation. For assistance with financial emergencies, contact your battalion Command Finance Specialist or call 254-288-5003.


The Army Volunteer Corps is the center of volunteer recruitment, referral, recognition and advocacy efforts for Fort Hood. Volunteers are placed in a wide variety of positions throughout the on- and off-post communities. The program is coordinated at the Lane Volunteer Center, Building 16005, Old Ironsides Avenue; call 254-287-VOLS (8657) or 254-286-5913.


The BOSS program for single Soldiers focuses on recreation, community service and quality of life issues and serves as a liaison between the single Soldier, installation staff and command. BOSS offers trips such as cruises, ski trips and the Army-wide BOSS conference and competition. BOSS organizes events from formal dances to volunteer opportunities at special events. Call 254-287-6116.


The Casualty Assistance Office provides support to Families after the death of a service member or retiree. The office trains casualty assistance officers and noncommissioned officers, provides counseling on rights and benefits, and provides coordination for available funeral support. Call 254-288-5609.


Fort Hood’s two commissaries make satisfying the customer the top priority in providing a first-class military benefit for every military Family and single Soldier. The Clear Creek Commissary is on Clear Creek and Tank Destroyer Road. The Warrior Way Commissary is on Warrior Way and 10th Street. Both are open six days a week but closed on different days to provide seven-day-a-week shopping. The Warrior Way Commissary is open on Monday and closed on Wednesday. The Clear Creek Commissary is open on Wednesday and closed on Monday. Additions and exceptions are announced several weeks in advance. Early bird shopping starts at 7 a.m. for those who need a few items. Express checkouts are provided throughout the day. For more information, visit your commissary website


The Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Program provides comprehensive education, prevention and counseling services for active-duty and retired military, civilian employees and their Family members. For appointments, call 254-287-2501.


Fort Hood is an excellent place to further your education with associates, bachelor’s or master’s degree programs on post and nearby. Technical training and assistance with state licensing is available to Soldiers and Families. The first stop to begin or complete your education is the Education Center in the Soldier Development Center, Building 33009.

An added education benefit: Texas allows Soldiers, spouses and children to pay in-state tuition rates.


Services available for active-duty Soldiers, Reserve and National Guard include career guidance and testing. Program enrollment is available for Functional Academic Skills Training (FAST), Leader Skills Enhancement Program and college. Adult Family members and Department of Defense civilians may receive counseling, college credit-by-examination testing for a nominal charge, information about financial aid, local programs and enrollment in selected programs. Representatives from area colleges and universities are also available at the education center to explain what programs and courses are offered locally. The education center can also help you determine your benefits for the Post-9/11 Veterans GI Bill, advise you on special Texas benefits and counsel you about other financial benefits. Schedules and other information are easily accessed via the Education Services Division homepage


Central Texas College

Central Texas College (CTC) main campus is adjacent to Fort Hood. The college offers associate degree and certificate programs in academic and vocational/technical fields along with noncredit continuing education classes. CTC, as a SOCAD college, has a liberal policy in awarding credit for military training and experience, CLEP examinations and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests and other nontraditional sources. Besides the regular semester classes on the main campus, CTC offers an extensive on-post, eight-week cycle program open to military and Family members that features courses offered at a variety of times, including lunch time and weekday evenings. CTC also offers over 180 online classes, including eight full degree and certificate programs, with monthly start dates. CTC has administrative and registration facilities on post in the Education Center. The phone number for the Fort Hood campus is 254-526-1907. Central Campus information may be reached at 254-526-7161, or you can visit the website at

On the CTC campus, you can enjoy The Mayborn Planetarium and Space Theater. The planetarium is a 184-seat theater that features planetarium shows, laser lights shows and large-format films. Public shows are hosted on weekends, and school and other groups visit during the week. For more information, call the 24-hour info line at 254-526-1800.

Texas A&M – Central Texas Campus

Bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in a variety of areas, such as nursing, education, history, psychology, business and criminal justice are available, to name a few. Texas A&M-Central Texas has also partnered with two of the local junior colleges to create the “Texas-Two-Step,” which ensures that students have a smooth transition from an associate degree program at Central Texas College and Temple College to a bachelor’s degree with Texas A&M-Central Texas. Contact the school at 254-532-9015 or 254-532-9016 or visit the website at

St. Mary’s University of San Antonio

St. Mary’s University of San Antonio offers graduate degree programs on post and online. The phone number on post is 254-532-8331.

Excelsior College and University of Maryland University College

Excelsior College and University of Maryland University College representatives are also located in the Education Services Division. Representatives can be reached at Excelsior College, 254-285-5553 and University of Maryland University College, 254-532-9890.

Colleges Within Driving Distance

The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton offers baccalaureate and graduate degree courses. The university was chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas and is ranked in Tier One of U.S. News & World Report as one of America’s Best Universities in the Master’s West Division. Visit its website at

The University of Texas at Austin is a major research university, home to more than 48,000 students, 2,700 faculty and 17,000 staff members. The university offers a wide variety of degree programs.

Baylor University in nearby Waco offers a full range of academic studies and degree programs.

Temple College is one of the oldest two-year colleges in the state and is a comprehensive community college known for its strong academic program and technical education and health career programs. Temple College offers the associate of arts and associate of applied science degrees along with a variety of one- and two-year certificate programs. The college offers both day and evening classes. For more information, call 254-298-8282, 800-460-4636 (Texas only) or visit the website at

Texas State Technical College in Waco is a two-year, state-supported institution offering vocational and technical programs. For more information, call 800-792-8784 or visit the website at


The Employee Assistance Program is a work site program designed to assist management/supervisors in addressing productivity issues. The program also assists employees in identifying and resolving personal concerns. The EAP is in Building 2241, on the corner of Support Avenue and 58th Street Training, and includes workplace violence prevention and anger management. For an appointment, call 254-287-6702.


© 2019 - MARCOA Media