The origins of Tripler Army Medical Center date to 1907, when several wooden structures at Fort Shafter were used as a hospital. The facility was named in honor of Brevet Brig. Gen. Charles Stuart Tripler in 1920 as a reminder of his contributions to Army medicine during the Civil War. At the outbreak of World War II, the hospital at Fort Shafter had a 450-bed capacity which, over the years, expanded to 1,000 beds through the addition of one-story, barracks-type buildings. Plans for the new Tripler were drawn in 1942, and construction was completed in 1948. The architecturally distinctive coral pink structure atop Moanalua Ridge was dedicated Sept. 10, 1948, and has been a familiar landmark on the south shore of Oahu ever since.
Last Updated : 11/5/2018HAWAII - ARMY Editor