In November 1848, the War Department ordered the establishment of a post at El Paso Del Norte. The first U.S. troops to arrive were six rifle companies of the 3rd Infantry Regiment. These troops established a military post known simply as "The Post Opposite El Paso." After closing and relocating the post, the Army officially renamed it Fort Bliss on March 8, 1854, in honor of Lieutenant Colonel William Wallace Smith Bliss, an Army assistant adjutant general during the Mexican War. For more information go to the Fort Bliss homepage.
Last Updated : 8/13/2019