Carlisle Barracks and U.S. Army War Colege

Carlisle Barracks and U.S. Army War Colege

Carlisle Barracks and U.S. Army War College
U.S. Route 11 Gate
Asburn Drive
Carlisle, PA 17013
(717) 245-4357
Carlisle Barracks is the second oldest army installation, dating back to 1745. Carlisle abounds in beauty and heritage sites. Serving as George Washington’s choice for his army’s first arsenal and school, Carlisle was also formerly the home of one of the nation’s boarding schools for American Indians, of which Olympic athlete Jim Thorpe is a famous alumnus. Historians and military buffs alike will relish exploring this area, first occupied and then shelled by the Confederates. Don’t miss the Military History Institute with its Omar N. Bradley Museum and the Hessian Powder Magazine Museum.

Carlisle Barracks is only two hours from Washington D.C., and approximately one-half hour from the capitol city, Harrisburg. If you are new to Carlisle Barracks or the War College, check out the Newcomers’ section of the installation’s Web site at Its links and video will provide current information to answer questions that you may have and updates on some of the important projects underway at Carlisle Barracks and the War College.

Carlisle Barracks and War College is located in Carlisle, Pa. Carlisle Barracks is approximately 18 miles west of Harrisburg and 27 miles north of Gettysburg. It is about two miles west of the Carlisle interchange of the Pennsylvania (PA) Turnpike/Interstate 76 and Interstate 81.

From Harrisburg International Airport or
via Pennsylvania (PA) Turnpike (I76)
Upon exiting the airport, follow the signs to PA-283 West and then the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76) West.
•Exit the Turnpike at the Carlisle exit, Exit 226 (old exit number 16).
• Once through the tollbooth stay to the right toward U.S. 11 South and follow the signs to Carlisle Barracks.
• Turn left at Harmony Hall Road (second traffic light).
• Turn right at Claremont Road.
• Turn left into vehicle security.

From North or South on I 81
• Exit I-81 at Exit 52 (Middlesex/Carlisle). Follow Highway 11 South. • Once Highway 11 passes under the PA Turnpike (approximately 1 mile), follow the directions in the previous box.

From Washington, D.C. area
• From I-495 Beltway West, take I-270 North toward Frederick, Md.
• Continue north on Highway 15 at Frederick
• Exit onto Highway 74 (North = left) at Dillsburg , Pa.
Upon reaching Carlisle intersection with Highway 641/Trindle Road/East High Street, turn left and proceed one block to N. Spring Garden Street; turn right and proceed two blocks to E. North Street; turn right and proceed 5 miles to the entrance to Carlisle Barracks through vehicle security on the right. Allow ample time for security check.

The host community of Carlisle and its surrounding areas are a treasure trove of indoor antique shops and outdoor antique flea markets. Other types of collectors will find excitement in Carlisle as well. Some of the largest collector car shows in the world take place year-round on the 82-acre Carlisle Fairgrounds. In the summertime, “just for kids” shows provide a stage and classroom for budding car enthusiasts.

Hikers will find happiness on this gorgeous stretch of the Appalachian Trail. Campers won’t want to miss the 969-acre Pine Grove Furnace State Park, with beach swimming, boat launching areas, and more than 70 campsites. For a bit of “green” learning, take the family to nearby King’s Gap Environmental Education Center. Boasting 1,439 acres and fifteen miles of hiking trails, the center features ranger-presented environmental education and interpretive programs throughout the year.

Army Lodging
On-post lodging provides 45 transient lodging rooms for official travelers and visitors to Carlisle Barracks.

Washington Hall dates to 1884 when it served as the Indian School hospital. It later housed Pop Warner’s athletes, and today offers fourteen rooms to Carlisle Barracks visitors and participants in the education, conferencing and war gaming activities.

The recently-renovated Ashburn Hall offers nineteen rooms for official travelers and PCS service members and their families who are arriving at or departing Carlisle Barracks. Pratt Hall has twelve transient lodging rooms.

Requests for reservations for official travelers on orders will be accepted at any time, with confirmation fifteen days prior to the desired occupancy date. Call (717) 245-4245 to make reservation. Other reservations will be accepted and confirmed, or denied, three days prior to the desired occupancy date.

For military personnel’s questions about pre-arrival processing (PAP), the Human Resources Directorate contact phone number is (717) 245-3869. This number provides the hours of operations, daily messages, and the names of the staff you can be transferred and connected to if you do not already have their phone numbers.

Welcome and Visitors Center,
36 Asburn Drive
Ashburn Hall
Carlisle, PA 17013
(717) 245-4245 • Fax (717) 242-4545
Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.: Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; holidays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Or call police desk 24 hours at (717) 245-4115.
Military personnel assigned, attached, or on temporary duty to the U.S. Army Garrison at Carlisle Barracks should report for in-processing to the Human Resource Division, Building 315, Lovell Avenue, during normal duty hours. All others arriving after duty hours will report to the Military Police Desk in Blackwood Hall, 400 Forbes Ave.

Military personnel assigned, attached or on temporary duty to Dunham U.S. Army Health Clinic should report for in-processing to the Medical Detachment orderly room located in the Health Clinic, 450 Gibner Road, during normal duty hours.

Civilian personnel assigned to organizations on Carlisle Barracks should report for in-processing to the Directorate of Civilian Personnel in Anne Ely Hall, 46 Ashburn Drive, during normal duty hours.

Officers and civilian personnel assigned as students to the U.S. Army War College should report for in-processing to the College’s Student Operation Branch, Room B-21, in Root Hall, 122 Forbes Ave., during normal duty hours. All U.S. students must have the following documents for initial in processing: DA Form 705, DA Form 31, and copy of orders. You must have DA Form 31, PCS Orders Travel Orders, Payroll Suspense File, and any advances or travel tickets. Driver’s license, state registration and valid state inspection, proof of insurance, and, if military, a valid ID card.

Newcomers Orientation
The Newcomers Orientation is mandatory for all permanent party in-processing soldiers (LTC and below). Service members must attend Newcomers Orientation within 60 days of their arrival. For additional information, contact the ACS, Relocation Program Manager, (717) 245-3685 or DSN 242-3685.

CAC and ID Cards
The Common Access Card (CAC), also known as the Smart Card, is an identification card with a tiny personal database embedded in it that can be used for access to buildings, networks, and e-mail. CAC’s are issued to all Active Duty, Reserve, Guard, DoD Civilians and DoD Contractors. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has established new rules for documents that will be required for Identification and Issuance/Reissuance of CAC’s. Call (717) 2453533/ 4321, DSN 242-3533/4321 for hours of operation to obtain CAC and ID cards at Carlisle Barracks.

Household Goods Information
It is the member’s responsibility to contact the Consolidated Personal Property Shipment Office (CPPSO) immediately upon arrival to schedule a delivery date and provide a delivery address and local telephone number. The required delivery date (RDD) for your property that you received at your previous duty station (when you arranged your move) is not a request for delivery.

All domestic Code 1 shipments of household goods are delivered directly to the destination address, if known to the CPPSO and if the member is available to accept delivery. Otherwise, the shipment is taken to a local agent’s warehouse and placed in Storage in Transit (SIT), pending property owner’s arrival and request for delivery. It is the property owner’s option to accept delivery or to inform the driver to deliver on the first duty day after the weekend or holiday.

All overseas and Code 2 (containerized) domestic shipments of household goods and/or unaccompanied baggage must be delivered from a local agent’s warehouse. These shipments are automatically placed in Storage in Transit (SIT) until the property owner or designated agent contacts the CPPSO to schedule delivery.

Inbound Personal Property Numbers:
(717) 245-4382 or (717) 245-4381
DSN: 242-4382 or 242-4381

Outbound Personal Property
Counselor’s Numbers:
(717) 245-4968 or (717) 245-4037
DSN: 242-4968 or 242-4037

Vehicle Registration and State laws
Contact Carlisle Barracks Vehicle Registration Office at Barracks Crossing, 870 Jim Thorpe Road (adjacent to Claremont Road Gate). The phone number is (717) 245-4972, DSN (312) 242-4972; fax (717) 245-3851, for information about registering your vehicle on base.

Pennsylvania Driver’s License and Photo Center Method of payments are either check or money order. USAREUR transferees have 45 to obtain a state-side driver’s license. A USAREUR license is not acceptable to obtain a state license. If you are a family member and let your state-side license expire, you must obtain a learner’s permit and start from the beginning. Active duty personnel can transfer their valid/expired state-side license as long as they have in their possession a valid military identification card.

Base Safety Regulations
Carlisle Barracks Vehicle Inspections—All vehicles without a Carlisle Barracks decal will be stopped and checked for a driver’s license at the front and back gates.

Speed Limits—No more than 15 miles per hour post wide and in some places you are limited from 5 to 10 miles per hour.

Cell Phones—Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide.

Registration and Licensing Requirements
Pennsylvania State law requires you to have sufficient liability insurance and a valid driver’s license in order to operate a vehicle. The term “vehicle” generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Further, your vehicle must be properly registered. Even though you are in the military, you may be required to register your vehicle in-state and obtain an in-state license within a few months of moving. Access complete information on insurance, driver’s licensing, and where and how to register your vehicle by visiting the State Department of Motor Vehicles Web site at

State Laws
You and your passengers must always wear seatbelts while driving; you will be ticketed and issued heavy fines if seatbelts are not secured. State law requires that all children under 7 years of age be properly restrained in child seats. Some states also require younger, smaller children to sit in the back seat.

Motorcycles and their operators are subject to special laws. If you own and operate a motorcycle, you must comply with those laws. Visit the State Department of Motor Vehicles Web site for more information.

Many States and local jurisdictions have strict laws about the use of cell phones and other digital devices while driving. Research these laws on the State Department of Motor Vehicles Web site. Tickets will be issued and fines assessed for violating these laws. Play it safe and always use a “hand-free” device if you must use a cell phone or other PDA while driving.

Pennsylvania law requires Service and family members to be licensed in their home state of legal residence or in Pennsylvania.

Family Concerns
The Residential Communities Office (RCO) is the government office representing the Army in the Family housing privatization partnership. All military personnel reporting for duty at Carlisle Barracks are required to report to this office according to your military orders. Services include housing referrals for rent and/or purchase, as well as unaccompanied personnel housing (UPH), including unaccompanied enlisted personnel housing (UEPH) for permanent party soldiers (E1 through E5) assigned to the installation. Call (717) 245-4017 or DSN 242-4207.

Military Housing
Carlisle Barracks has government housing for a total of 321 families. Quarters range in style from multi-unit apartment complexes to singleunit homes.

Except for command quarters’ entertainment areas, government furniture is not provided to residents of government quarters. Each set of quarters has its own government-owned range and electric refrigerator, which will not be removed from the dwelling. Gas ranges are installed in College Arms, Marshall Ridge, and Armstrong Apartments, while all other quarters have electric ranges.

All quarters have electricity and water connections for washing machines, electric dryers and freezers. No connections are available for gas dryers. Special adapters for dishwashers, washing machines and dryers must be supplied by quarter’s residents. In Garrison Lane, Royal America Circle, Forbes Avenue, Young Hall Apartments and College Arms, the outlets for washing machines and dryers are in the basements. Most other quarters have utility rooms.

Air conditioning is provided in all quarters. Personally-owned air conditioners are not authorized.

Television service is provided by a commercial firm which furnishes multi-channel cable service on a subscription basis. Most housing units are equipped with two cable outlets located in the living area and master bedroom. Separate television/ AM/FM antennas are not authorized for installation on the exterior of family quarters. Garages and parking spaces are assigned to quarters where applicable. Garrison Lane, Royal American Circle, Forbes Avenue, and Quarters 265 and Quarters 259 have garages. Most other quarters have one or more parking space off the main thoroughfare.

EFMP Housing
There is currently one Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) accessible housing unit on Bouquet Road and one is under construction.

Application for placement on the quarter’s waiting list may be made in advance. The Housing Office may place military members on the Family Housing Waiting List prior to their reporting (sign-in) date.

To apply for placement on the waiting list, military members must comply with the following procedures and submit to Family Housing, Carlisle Barracks:

• A copy of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Orders assigning military member to Carlisle Barracks or area within onehour commuting distance

• A copy of request and authority for leave, DA Form 31

• A completed application for assignment to military family housing.

Upon receipt of these documents, the military member will be placed on the waiting list, effective the day military member signs out of current duty station. Actual offer and/or assignment of quarters will not be made until officially signedin at Carlisle Barracks.

If the military member does not apply for quarters in advance, application for placement on the quarter’s waiting list must be made in person at the Housing Division. In order for application to be accepted, military member must present a copy of PCS Orders and DA Form 31 showing official sign-in date. Family Housing will be assigned and occupied by the grade category of military personnel from whom it is designed.

The Carlisle school district has 4,844 students, one high school, two middle schools, and seven elementary schools.

Carlisle Area School District
623 W. Penn St.
(717) 240-6800

Child Care and Youth Activities
The Moore Child Development Center/ Carlisle Barracks Pre-K Academy is located at 455 Fletcher Road, Carlisle Barracks. The accredited center is open Monday through Friday, 6:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Fees for each care program are determined according to total family income. Children must be registered with the Child Development Center before care is needed. In addition to the academy, full day care, hourly care and in-home, quarters-based child care are also available.

The Center also provides (with nominal fees) School Age Services (SAS) and Youth Services (YS) before and after school hours to military, DoD employees, retirees, National Guard and Reserve, and all veterans’ children, from kindergarten through 6th grade. YS also offers a computer and homework lab, as well as being a Boys and Girls Club and 4-H Chapter. Other activities also include sports and fitness, leisure and recreation, life skills and citizenship, as well as training, mentoring and support services. Call (717) 245-3801 for information on all Center and youth programs.

Residents of Carlisle Barracks must register their pets if living on post. Registration can be handled through the Carlisle Veterinary Command Service. Call (717) 245-4168 or DSN 242-4168.

There is no quarantine unless a pet bites a human, then a ten-day, in-home quarantine will be imposed.

State Requirements
Animals must have current rabies, distemper, and kennel cough vaccinations, as well as a license. Licenses can be obtained from the Cumberland County Court House Treasurer Office Location, 1 Court House Square, Carlisle, PA 17013 or call (717) 240-6380 for more information.

U.S. Army Veterinary Command
Carlisle Barracks Branch
627 Wright Ave., Suite 2
(717) 245-3430/4122

The Carlisle installation is serviced by TRICARE Prime and has no enrollment fees for active duty family members, but does require enrollment. Updates can be made during in-processing activities or in-person at the TRICARE Service Center at the Dunham U.S. Army Health Clinic. The Clinic Health Benefits Advisor can be reached at (717) 245-4112 for advice about health care options.

Dunham U.S. Army Health Clinic
450 Gibner Road
Carlisle, PA 17013
(717) 245-3400
The Dunham U.S. Army Health Clinic at Carlisle was recently renovated and is staffed with nine officers, 23 soldiers, and 127 civilians and contractors and is a member of TRICARE network and the Walter Reed Health Care System, and partners with HealthNet to provide care. The Dunham Health Care Network includes clinics at Carlisle Barracks, the Defense Distribution Center (DDC) Susquehanna/NSA Mechanicsburg, the Letterkenny Army Depot in Chambersburg, and the National Guard Training Center at Fort Indiantown Gap. Dunham provides care to more than 5,700 retirees and their family members, as well as for 4,900 active duty soldiers and their family members.

On-Base Services & Recreation
Information, Ticketing, and
Registration (ITR)
The Carlisle Barracks ITR provides the latest on scheduled events, hotel reservations, tickets and information to local and nationwide attractions and a variety of other services. This ITR also sponsors a number of day trips throughout the year. Recent destinations included New York City and the King of Prussia Mall.

Carlisle Barracks ITR Office
842 Sumner Road
(717) 245-4048
(717) 245-3309

The Office of the Post Judge Advocate (PJA) provides legal advice to the command and staff at Carlisle Barracks and the U.S. Army War College and is located at Upton Hall. Call legal assistance at (717) 245-4940 for information on claims, military justice, international law, civil law and operational law.

The main Carlisle Barracks Commissary is located at 851 Sumner Road. Call (717) 245-3105 for store hours and eligibility requirements.

Letort View Community Center
The Letort View Community Center (Building 313) provides dining and catering programs for all Department of Defense (DoD) personnel and their guests. This includes the active duty, reserve, and retired military, their families, and all federal civilian employees. Call (717) 245-3215 for additional information on services available through the Letort View Community Center.

Skill Development Center (SDC)
Located outside the fenced perimeter of the post, SDC Barracks Crossing is the large red brick building (Building 870) to the left of the guard shack as you enter the rear of the post. (If you get to the light, you’ve gone too far!) The SDC offers framing, engraving, automotive and recreational vehicle storage services. Call (717) 245-3319 for operating hours.

Basic Framing Courses and Refresher Framing Courses are necessary to use the framing self-help shop at the studio. Call (717) 245-3319/3104 for information.

The Engraving Studio offers a variety of personalized gift items, trophies, custom designed and scanned images, logos, branch or insignia; souvenirs and memorabilia, all laser engraved on coated metals and plastics. The studio offers engraved plates for framed prints, shadow boxes and plaque presentations. Magnetic nametags, (pin-backs are also sold), as well as desk plates and engraved office items. Call (717) 245-3329/3466 for assistance.

The Barracks Crossing Automotive Center at SDC offers a wide variety of minor repair services, as well as Pennsylvania-mandated emissions and safety inspections. Specials are offered throughout the year, including a very popular winterization special. Trained auto technicians are available to assist in a clean and safe self-help area with six bays and three lifts. For more information, call (717) 245-3319/3156.

The Barracks Crossing SDC Recreation Vehicle Storage Lot (RVSL) offers storage spaces in a securely fenced, outside facility with 24-hour access. For more information, call (717) 245-3319.

Other Services
Members of the following services should call their Senior Service Representative’s Office at (717) 245-4200, or report to Room C332, Root Hall, 122 Forbes Ave. upon arrival: Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard.

Carlisle Barracks Golf Course
The Carlisle Barracks Golf Course is wellmaintained course and considered to be one of the finest in the Cumberland Valley. The course is a Par 72, measuring over 6,300 yards, is fully irrigated, and enjoys a normal golfing season of April through November. Facilities feature a recently constructed practice facility that includes a driving range, practice putting green and a green with a bunker. The clubhouse houses the 19th Hole Snack Bar, offering a wide variety of food and drink. Open to military personnel and civilian guests. Call (713) 243-3262 for tee times and other information.

Strike Zone Bowling
The Carlisle Barracks Bowling Center, located in Building 686, is a modern six-lane bowling facility, complete with automatic scorers and a snack bar. League play and open bowling are scheduled all year. Free instruction is available by appointment. Special activities and parties may also be conducted at the Bowling Center. Call (717) 245-4109 for hours and special event scheduling.

Sports and Fitness
The sports activity at Carlisle Barracks operates several venues and offers a year-round athletic program for the entire community. Two indoor facilities feature full locker rooms with showers and saunas, basketball, volleyball courts, and fitness areas with the latest technology. Elliptical cross trainers, treadmills, versa climbers, circuit fitness, free weight and numerous pin select weight machines area are also available, as well as an activity room for instructional classes karate, aerobics and other activities. The Sports Director’s office is located in the Jim Thorpe Fitness Center (Building 120). Call (717) 245-4072 for information. The pool is located behind the Letort View Community Center and is open Memorial Day through Labor Day. Call (717) 245-4072 for hours.

The U.S. Army Garrison provides quality infrastructure and services to support Carlisle Barracks units’ mission readiness and execution while enabling the well-being of the regional military community.

Related Posts
NAS Lemoore Schools: Daycare - High SchoolNAS Lemoore Schools: Daycare - High School
Introduction  Welcome to NAS Lemoore! When moving to a new area, one of the top priorities for parents…
Fort Indiantown Gap: In-Depth Welcome CenterFort Indiantown Gap: In-Depth Welcome Center
Introduction Welcome to Fort Indiantown Gap, known as The Gap or FIG to those connected to it. This…
17 Of the Best MCAS Yuma Things to Do17 Of the Best MCAS Yuma Things to Do
Introduction You’ve received orders to MCAS Yuma, driven across the country into the heart of the desert and…