Health Care

Health Care

Moving with TRICARE

Whether moving stateside or overseas, active duty families can now switch their TRICARE Prime enrollment by phone! Before you start your move, contact your losing TRICARE health care contractor to see if you need to switch to a new region. TRICARE does the rest! You must update DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) with your new address so you do not have any disruptions in service and your enrollment moves with you. Get contact information, and more TRICARE moving tips on the TRICARE website.

Your TRICARE coverage is completely portable—meaning it moves with you. You are covered worldwide—both in-transit to your new duty location and once you arrive—but depending on where you go, you may use a different TRICARE health plan option. Additionally, you may have different enrollment steps depending on which health plan option is available in your new area.

When Enrolled in a TRICARE Prime Option

The TRICARE Prime options include TRICARE Prime and TRICARE Prime Remote for stateside and TRICARE Prime Overseas and TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas for overseas. Follow these simple steps to set-up Prime coverage in your new location without a break in coverage.

  1. Do not disenroll from your TRICARE Prime option before you move.
  2. Call your losing contractor and provide information about your upcoming move; new duty station, expected date of arrival, cell phone number, valid email address, and eligible family members moving to the new location.
  3. Your losing contractor passes the information along to your new contractor.
  4. Within five days of your anticipated arrival, your new contractor will try to call/contact you to confirm your arrival and enrollment choices.
  5. Once you agree to the transfer, the process is complete. It could take up to four days, but you never lose TRICARE Prime/Prime Remote coverage.

There are other ways to set-up Prime in your new area:

  1. Before moving, visit your local TRICARE Service Center to complete an enrollment change form.
  2. Go online and set-up your new enrollment via the Beneficiary Web Enrollment Website
  3. Download and complete a TRICARE Prime Enrollment Application and PCM Change Form. Mail it to the new contractor or drop it at a lo cal TRICARE Service Center.
  4. Enroll when you in-process at your new duty station.

Enrollment and assignment of a new primary care manager (PCM) should occur within 30 days when moving within the same region, moving to a new region or overseas.

Update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately, as your new location reflected in DEERS is the key to transferring enrollment.

Where you are moving determines which Prime option is available.


Prime options in the US


TRICARE Prime is offered in Prime service areas—geographic areas typically located around a military treatment facility—throughout the country.

TRICARE Prime Remote

In non-Prime service areas, which are generally 30 minute drive-time or 30 miles from the nearest MTF, TRICARE offers TRICARE Prime Remote. Enrollment is normally with a network provider when available; otherwise, enrollment is with a TRICARE authorized provider who manages all of your care. Any TRICARE-eligible family members living with you in a TRICARE Prime Remote area can enroll in TRICARE Prime Remote for active duty family members. Be sure to include them on the enrollment form.



Managed Care Support Partner

Call Toll-Free



Health Net Federal Services, Inc.



Humana Military Healthcare Services, Inc.



TriWest Healthcare Alliance



Prime options outside the US

TRICARE Prime Overseas (TOP)/TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas

TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas is a Prime option offered in designated remote overseas locations. Command-sponsored family members who reside with you are eligible for TRICARE Prime Overseas. Be sure to include all family members who wish to use TRICARE Prime Overseas.

Before you move to another overseas area or to an area within the United States, contact the nearest TRICARE Service Center or managed care contractor for assistance.

TRICARE – Eurasia – Africa TRICARE – Latin America and Canada TRICARE – Pacific

TOP Regional Call Center (1)



Medical Assistance (2)


TOP Regional Call Center (1)



Medical Assistance (2)


TOP Regional Call Center (1)

Singapore: 65-6339-2676


Sydney: 61-9273-2710


Medical Assistance (2)

Singapore: 65-6338-9277

Sydney: 61-2-9273-2760

TRICARE Area Office


314-496-6314 (DSN)



312-425-1848 (DSN)

TRICARE Area Office


315-643-2036 (DSN)

Health Care Claims (Active Duty)

TRICARE Active Duty Claims, PO Box 7968, Madison, WI 53707-7968 USA

Health Care Claims (Active Duty)

TRICARE Active Duty Claims, PO Box 7968, Madison WI 53707-7968 USA

Health Care Claims (Active Duty)

TRICARE Active Duty Claims, PO Box 7968, Madison, WI 53707-7968 USA

Health Care Claims (Non-active duty)

TRICARE Overseas Region 13, PO Box 8976, Madison, WI 53708-8976 USA

Health Care Claims (Non-active duty)

TRICARE Overseas Region 15, PO Box 7985, Madison, WI 53708-8976 USA

Health Care Claims (Non-active duty)

TRICARE Overseas Region 14, PO Box 7985, Madison, WI 53708-8976 USA

(1) For toll-free numbers contact

(2) Only call Medical Assistance numbers to coordinate overseas emergency care


TRICARE standard & extra

TRICARE Standard and Extra are available to family members only. Active duty service members are required to enroll in one of the Prime options described above.

TRICARE Standard and Extra are available throughout the United States and enrollment is not required. Any eligible active duty family member who is registered in DEERS may use these programs by seeing any non-network or network (Extra) TRICARE authorized provider. In areas outside of the United States, active duty family members who do not want to use a Prime option may use TRICARE Standard Overseas by seeing qualified host nation providers.

If you are already using TRICARE Standard and Extra, moving is easy.

  1. Once you arrive at your new location, update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately.
  2. Find TRICARE-authorized providers in your new area.

Here are a few things to remember about using TRICARE Standard and Extra in a new region

  • In the U.S.: Visit your new regional contractor’s website for a list of network providers. Remember, if you see network providers, you will be using the Extra option and pay lower cost shares.
  • Outside of the U.S.: Contact International SOS or the MTF Servic e Center for help locating a qualified host nation provider. The TRICARE Extra option is not available in overseas areas.
  • If you move to a new region, you will have a new claims address for submitting your TRICARE claims.
  • Learn your new region’s prior authorization requirements because these requirements can differ by region.


TRICARE for life

TRICARE For Life—TRICARE’s supplemental coverage for those who are eligible for Medicare and have purchased Medicare Part B —requires no enrollment and you will have a smooth transition when you move. TRICARE for Life contact information: WPS TRICARE For Life, P.O. Box 7889, Madison, WI 53707-7889; 1-866-773-0404; TDD 1-866-773-0405

  • Once you arrive at your new location, update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately.
  • Find Medicare providers in your new area.
  • Visit Medicare’s website.

If you move overseas, your TRICARE For Life coverage may change depending on where you move. In U.S. Territories such as Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, TRICARE For Life coverage works the same as the stateside program. But, in all other overseas locations, TRICARE For Life Overseas works differently because Medicare does not provider coverage in most overseas locations. Therefore, TRICARE is the primary payer. You can get care from any host nation provider and you will be responsible for TRICARE deductibles and cost shares.

Contact International SOS, or the TRICARE Area Office for the overseas area where you are moving, or the nearest American Embassy Health Unit for assistance finding a host nation provider.


Care along the way

Routine Medical and Dental Care—Get it before you go.

Before you move, make sure you have received any routine medical or dental care you think you might need during the time you will be traveling. Or, delay the care until you get to your new duty location. Check supply of all prescription medications and get refills/new prescriptions until you can make an appointment with your new Primary Care Manager (PCM) at your new duty site.

Emergency Care in the United States—Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

TRICARE defines emergency care as medical services provided for a sudden or unexpected medical or psychiatric condition, or the sudden worsening of a chronic (ongoing) condition that is threatening to life, limb, or sight and needs immediate medical treatment, or which has painful symptoms that need immediate relief to stop suffering. If you are near a military treatment facility (MTF), you should go to the MTF or military dental treatment facility for emergency services. If you are seen in a civilian facility, contact your PCM or regional contractor within 24 hours.

Urgent care in the United States—Coordinate with your PCM and/or regional contractor

TRICARE defines urgent care as medical care for a condition that will not result in disability or death if not treated immediately but should be treated within 24 hours to avoid further complications. If you are in a Prime program, you must coordinate urgent care with your primary care manager and/or regional contractor before receiving the care. If you are in TRICARE Standard and Extra or TRICARE For Life, you can receive care as you normally would. You should, however, contact your contractor as soon as possible to coordinate any prior authorizations that are needed.

Emergency or Urgent care Overseas follow these steps

  • AD and ADFM enrolled in TRICARE Prime and travelling outside the United States: Contact the TRICARE Area Office, or go to their websitefor assistance finding Emergency or Urgent care.
  • AD and ADFM stationed overseas:
    • For Urgent care coordination, contact your MTF PCM, or
    • Contact the closest TRICARE Area Office, or
    • Contact the TRICARE Overseas Regional Call Center, or
    • Go to their website (

You do not need prior authorization for emergency or urgent care but the TRICARE Area Office or TRICARE Global Remote Call Center will help you find the best care available in the overseas area in which you are traveling.


Filling prescriptions on the road

You should have all your prescriptions filled before you leave, but if you need a prescription filled while you are traveling in the United States, you have several options:

  • If near an MTF, fill the prescription at the MTF pharmacy.
  • Find the closest TRICARE network pharmacy.
  • If a network pharmacy is not available, you can visit a non-network pharmacy. In this case, you may have to pay up front for your medications and file a claim with Express Scripts, Inc., for reimbursement. For more details, visit the TRICARE website
  • The TRICARE home-delivery is not recommended for a prescription you need right away, but if you’ll be away for a long time, you can arrange for any regular prescriptions to be filled via the mail-order pharmacy.

Your pharmacy coverage is limited overseas:

  • TRICARE network pharmacies are only located in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands. You can have prescriptions filled at host-nation pharmacies, if necessary. Host-nation pharmacies are treated the same as non-network pharmacies. If you have prescriptions filled at a host-nation pharmacy, you should expect to pay for the total amount up front and file a claim with Wisconsin Physicians Service for partial reimbursement. To learn more about pharmacy claims, visit the TRICARE website.
  • To use the mail-order pharmacy overseas, the prescription must be from a U.S. licensed provider and you must have an APO or FPO address.



Your regional contractors and TRICARE Area Offices are available to answer your questions. These offices are listed above. Find even more information about moving, updating DEERS, the TRICARE regions and much more at the TRICARE website.


Installation specific information

Our Mission

Deliver comprehensive, high quality healthcare and preventive services to the Warriors in Transition, Soldiers, Family Members and Patients entrusted to us. Ensure medical readiness of all Soldiers assigned and deployed at Fort Bliss/WSMR and deliver highly skilled Warrior Medics to the force.

Installation Hospital

William Beaumont Army Medical Center is the focal point for military personnel and family members requiring medical care. Named after an Army physician who served during the war of 1812, the present 12-story medical center building provides a total of 364 beds. Encompassing over one-half million square feet, the structure houses many departments and clinics which provide a full range of treatment and training capabilities.
In addition to the Medical Center, health care is provided at the Soldier Family Medical Clinic and at various Dental Clinics.
The William Beaumont mission also includes operation of the Army’s first Residential Treatment Facility for substance and alcohol abuse and a regional trauma unit. Other activities include medical clinical investigations, preventive medicine and mental health. Additionally, a full service Veterans Affairs Hospital is adjacent to the main hospital complex.

Pharmacy Services

William Beaumont Army Medical Center Main Hospital Pharmacy can be reached at 915-569-2793. Hours of operation are:

  • Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m.- 6:30 p.m.
  • Saturday and Training Holidays: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
  • Closed Sundays and Federal Holidays

Freedom Crossing PX Pharamacy, located at 1611 Marshall Road; 915-742-9017. Hours of operation:

  • Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
  • Saturday and Training Holidays: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
  • Closed Sundays and Federal Holidays

Soldier and Family Medical Clinic (SFMC) Pharmacy, Building 2496 – Ricker Road; 915-742-1400. Hours of operation:

  • Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m.- 6:00 p.m.
  • Saturday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
  • Closed Sundays and Federal and Training Holidays

Soldier Family Care Clinic (SFCC) Pharmacy, Building 11335, East Fort Bliss; 915-742-1802. Hours of operation:

  • Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m.- 6:30 p.m.
  • Closed Saturdays, Sundays and Federal Holidays

To Request a Refill:

Call 915-742-1200. The phone-in refill service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The peak times for call-in are 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Mondays and Tuesdays, so you may expect a longer than usual wait time.

Use a touch tone phone for optimal service (also capable of voice recognition). Refill request are ready within 72 hours of request. Plan ahead for weekdays and holidays.

Refills are picked up at the Freedom Crossing Pharmacy. After five working days, medication refills are returned back to stock. If you are unable to pick up, then contact the Freedom Crossing Pharmacy at 742-9017.

Special Drug Request: 915-569-3645 (Bldg 7777 3rd Floor WBAMC).


Local Community Information

Thirteen private hospitals, one public hospital and one military hospital provide more that 2,300 beds for use by the community. The city has two designated trauma centers.

Related Posts
NAS Lemoore Schools: Daycare - High SchoolNAS Lemoore Schools: Daycare - High School
Introduction  Welcome to NAS Lemoore! When moving to a new area, one of the top priorities for parents…
Fort Hamilton: In-Depth Welcome CenterFort Hamilton: In-Depth Welcome Center
Introduction Welcome to Fort Hamilton, located in Brooklyn, New York. Over 3,000 personnel and their families are active…
Fort Indiantown Gap: In-Depth Welcome CenterFort Indiantown Gap: In-Depth Welcome Center
Introduction Welcome to Fort Indiantown Gap, known as The Gap or FIG to those connected to it. This…