Joint Base Andrews Community
During the Civil War, Union troops occupied a small country church near Camp Springs, MD. That church is still used on-base and is known as Chapel Two. Later, on August 25, 1941, Camp Springs Army Air Field was established and Andrews’ flying history began. The base became operational May 2, 1943. The name of the base was changed to Andrews Field on March 31, 1945, in honor of Lt. Gen Frank M. Andrews, Commander of European Operations for all Army Air Forces. In July 1961, Andrews became the home of the official presidential aircraft, known as “Air Force One” when the president is on board. In 1963, Naval Air Facility (NAF) Anacostia, originally established on the Potomac River at Anacostia Naval Air Field near Bolling AFB in 1919, moved to the east side of Andrews AFB. At that time the name was changed from NAF Anacostia to NAF Washington. NAF handles Naval VIP flight operations and is home for a Marine Corps detachment that flies the FA-18 Hornet. With more than 10 AMC units, 60 tenant units the Naval Air Facility housed on the base, and Malcolm Grow Medical Clinic (3rd largest hospital in the Air Force), we’re a busy community proud of our history. For more information on Andrews’ history visit the installation’s homepage.