Fort Leonard WoodCommunity
Armed Services YMCA
Their goal is to serve the community by offering support and opportunities that empower military Families to learn, grow and thrive. ASYMCA provides free or low cost programs to help strengthen young Families as they learn to cope with the unique challenges of military life. The organization focuses on programs that promote healthy living, social responsibility and youth development.
Anyone who would like to participate may do so by registering online at www.asymca.org/fort-leonard-wood-home, by calling 573-329-4513, or in person at the ASYMCA, co-located with the Fort Leonard Wood Thrift Shop in Building 493.
American Red Cross
The American Red Cross offers many services and programs to members of the U.S. military and their families through a national network of stations on military installations, chapters and the Hero Care Centers in Washington, D.C., and Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
The Fort Leonard Wood American Red Cross office, located in Building 470, Room 1130, provides the following services, during the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday:
- Briefings: newcomers brief, deployment, pre-deployment, family separation and FRG with information specific to your group. Contact the Fort Leonard Wood office at 573-596-0300 to schedule a briefing.
- Volunteer opportunities: The Red Cross office on Fort Leonard Wood partners with the Army Community Service volunteer program, and is now the new centralized point of contact (Volunteer Hub), providing all in-processing and onboarding for those interested in volunteering for a variety of programs and organizations on Fort Leonard Wood, as well as providing ongoing volunteer support. Red Cross opportunities are available at the hospital and dental clinic (Dental Assistant Training Program), as well as off the installation (i.e. disaster assistance, smoke alarm install, etc.).
- Emergency verification and communication: In the event of an emergency, critical illness, death and other qualifying emergencies in a service member or spouse’s immediate family, the Red Cross should be called at once. The Red Cross is equipped to verify the situation and relay an emergency request, if necessary, to proper military authorities. It is up to the military to decide whether or not to grant leave. For assistance military personnel assigned to Fort Leonard Wood and their family members residing in the same household should call the Fort Leonard Wood office, 573-596-0300 or the Hero Care Center at 877-272-7337, for emergency communication/verification assistance. Family members not residing with the service member should call the Hero Care Center at 877-272-7337, or visit www.redcross.org/herocarenetwork, or through the new free hero care app. Services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Emergency Financial Assistance: When an emergency arises that requires the presence of a service member or his or her family, emergency financial assistance may be available from Army Emergency Relief, Air Force Aid or the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society. During normal duty hours, active-duty personnel and family members residing in the same household should contact the appropriate agency directly. If emergency financial assistance is needed after normal duty hours or on weekends or holidays, the American Red Cross Hero Care Center may be able to provide assistance on behalf of the service relief agencies. Phone: 877-272-7337.
- Reconnection Workshops: The Red Cross offers free and confidential multiple skill-building opportunities to help service members, retirees, veterans—as well as their families and support systems—identify and cope effectively with the unique challenges that arise during and after service in the military, which can linger, long after leaving the military, if left unaddressed. Five adult and two children workshops with different topics are being offered. Sessions and materials focus on learning useful skills, developing effective coping mechanisms, and where to find resources. For more information, call 573-596-0300.
- Information & Referral to Red Cross services off the installation (i.e. disaster assistance, health and safety classes, etc.).
- For blood drive information or to schedule a blood drive, please contact the Donor Services Account Manager at 573-680-0813 or visit www.redcross.org/give-blood.
- For a more information on the American Red Cross and services available, please visit www.redcross.org