Fort Wainwright Community


Whether you are stationed at Fort Richardson or Fort Wainwright, there is a military finance office to assist you in resolving most of your financial arrangements during your in-processing.

C Detachment, 125th Finance, handles all the pay accounts for Soldiers stationed at forts Wainwright and Greely and the Defense Military Pay Office-Richardson does the same for Soldiers at Fort Richardson.

The DMPO-Richardson Finance Office is located in Bldg. 600, telephone 384-1174. Their hours of operation are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The office is open Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Fort Wainwright’s C Det., 125th Finance, is located on the third floor of the Welcome Center in Bldg. 3401. The customer service telephone number is 353-CDET (2338). The hours of operation are 9:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays (closing at 2:45 p.m. on Friday). The office is closed on Thursday for Warrior Time Training. The Department of Defense authorizes a Cost of Living Allowance for all Soldiers stationed in Alaska. The amount of COLA a service member draws depends on their rank, years of service, duty location, barrack and non-barrack residency and the number of command-sponsored family members. Soldiers stationed at Fort Greely will receive hardship duty pay-location to compensate the member for austere living conditions. Basic Allowance for Housing is payable to Soldiers authorized to obtain quarters on the economy.

Family Separation Allowance is authorized while service members are on TCS/TDY orders and separated from their dependents. Housing Service members of all ranks on forts Wainwright, Richardson and Greely who elect to serve “with family members” (accompanied) tours and who receive command sponsorship, are eligible to apply for Family Housing. All service members, including all bachelor and/or unaccompanied officers and enlisted members, must check in at the Post Housing Office before making any arrangements for housing, including off-post housing. All Alaska posts participate in the “Army Housing One Stop” website which provides direct access to selected family housing floor plans and photos of family housing in Alaska. AHOS also has links to off-post rental opportunities and other sources of information regarding community housing. Your best source for current information on housing availability and opportunities will be AHOS. An additional source of current information for community housing is the Automated Housing Referral Network.

For those who will be renting community housing on an interim or permanent basis, advance research and planning is essential for a successful move. Like most states, Alaska’s landlord-tenant laws are based upon the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act. The total amount charged for all deposits and prepaid rent (except the first month’s rent) cannot exceed two months rent. A rental lease is an important legal document and lays out responsibilities of both landlord and tenant. Soldiers should pay close attention to the presence of a military clause, required notice of termination, etc. Alaska posts follow the Amy-wide trend whereby the majority of families reside in the civilian community.

Tourism is one of the top three Alaska industries, leading to a very seasonal (i.e., high summer) demand for lodging and housing. This means that lodging books up early for the summer months and you are unlikely to find any suitable temporary accommodations in either Anchorage or Fairbanks if you do not plan ahead and reserve early. In Fairbanks, some apartment complexes even revert to daily and weekly temporary lodging customers during the summer to accommodate the influx of tourists and seasonal workers.

Use your sponsor for travel planning advice and assistance. Kennels fill up and most landlords do not accept pets. Use the links on AHOS to plan and confirm your accommodations (as well as those of family pets).

Single service members in grades staff sergeant and above can live in the bachelor quarters or off post. “Unaccompanied” Soldiers who are voluntarily separated are not authorized assignment to bachelor quarters; therefore, these service members must reside off post. Housing units on the Alaska posts are administered in compliance with AR 210-50, Army Housing Management, and local policies (which can be found on the appropriate AHOS link). Family and senior enlisted and officer bachelor quarters units are each equipped with a dishwasher, garbage disposal, washing machine, clothes dryer, electric range and refrigerator. All personnel authorized quarters are allowed shipment of their full household goods weight allowance.The doors, stairs and hallways of family housing may not accommodate oversized furniture or large freezers, so plan your move accordingly.

The Furnishings Management Office will provide “loaner issue” of furniture pending arrival of the member’s personal household goods. The “loaner issue” includes such items as beds, dining table with chairs and couches, but does not include bed linens, pots and pans or curtains.

Cookware and dinnerware can be obtained from the Army Community Service “loan closet” on a first-come, first-served basis. Government furnished appliances are currently electric. While all housing constructed since 1994 have one- or two car attached garages, the majority of the housing inventory does not. Each set of quarters is normally assigned a minimum of one parking space equipped with an engine heater outlet. The outlets have a 1,000-watt-maximum capacity, but even for very large engines, 850-watt heaters are adequate.

Running extension cords from inside quarters to heat additional vehicles is not authorized. On-post housing consists of either two-, three- or four bedrooms, with some five-bedroom units available in the newer housing. Most units are two-story, four- and eight-plexes, with a full basement, while field-grade officer housing features duplexes (one floor with a basement) as well as newly constructed units which continue to come online at forts Richardson and Wainwright. Housing for families with exceptional family members is available. It is very important for inbound families to coordinate any specific Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) requirements with the housing office in advance of arrival. Personnel must have family members screened for the program before arriving. A copy of DA Form 5888 (Family Member Deployment Screening Sheet) must accompany a copy of DA Form 4787 (Reassignment Processing) for approved travel for family members. Ensure that any EFMP family members are enrolled in the program prior to your PCS to Alaska and notify the Family Housing Office of your needs on arrival. All maintenance and repair to family housing is accomplished by either self-help, which includes the occupant’s own efforts to perform handyman-type work, or service calls on an individual job basis as requested by the occupant. Service calls cover jobs beyond the scope of self-help.


Recent Posts


April 24, 2020
Related Posts
Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, A Day That Will Live in InfamyPearl Harbor Remembrance Day, A Day That Will Live in Infamy
Introduction Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day is honored each year on Dec. 7. It’s the day when the Empire…
Vandenberg AFB Weather: What To Expect When Moving HereVandenberg AFB Weather: What To Expect When Moving Here
Introduction Welcome to beautiful Santa Barbara County, California. As far as weather goes at Vandenberg AFB, you aren’t…
Peterson AFB Housing: On Base OptionsPeterson AFB Housing: On Base Options
Introduction So you’ve been assigned orders to a new base, and now you’re looking for a place to…