Hawaii – Air Force Community

Hawaii – Air Force
Picking up your POV and Driving in Hawaii

Picking up your POV and Driving in Hawaii

Picking Up Your POV and Driving

Your privately owned vehicle (POV) will be shipped to Sand Island, Honolulu. You may call the Joint Personal Property Shipping Office (JPPSO), located at the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC) complex, to check on the status of your vehicle, or check the tracking website at https://www.whereismyPOV.com. The number for inbound POVs is (808) 848-8383. Once your POV has arrived on island, take the Sand Island Access Road from Nimitz Highway. Continue until you cross two stop lights. Take the first left turn into the fenced roadway, at Pier 51B, which is marked with two signs: Matson Navigations Company and Matson Autos. Continue on this roadway, following the Autos signs.

Registering Your Vehicle In Hawaii

All automobiles used on the highway must be registered with the State of Hawaii within 10 days of arrival. If you are not a legal resident of Hawaii, you may keep your original vehicle license plates, but you must register your car to get a Hawaii vehicle permit sticker. To complete vehicle registration, you are required to have proof of ownership or certificate of registration; shipping documents; and Hawaii no-fault insurance coverage. Additionally, Hawaii requires an annual safety inspection for all vehicles; valid identification card; and Non-Resident Certificate Form DSL50 (to be signed by your commanding officer verifying your home of record as reflected in your service record).


For more information on vehicle registration, visit the Department of Customer Services at http://www1.honolulu.gov/csd/. 

Driver’s License Registration and ID

Driver’s licenses issued by your home state are generally valid in Hawaii until they expire. If you wish to apply for a Hawaii driver’s license, you must present your Social Security card and current out-of-state license. If your out-of-state license has expired, you will be required to ­complete an application form, take and pass a written examination, eye test and a road test. Your original license will not be returned. You must be 16 years of age to obtain a driver’s license in Hawaii. Persons
18 years of age and older, with a valid driver’s license from other states or Canada, may drive in Hawaii until their license expires or is otherwise declared invalid. Drivers, aged 16 and 17, must obtain legal parental or guardian consent, as well as pass a required driver’s education course. In addition, a driver’s education class is now required for those under 18. Driver licensing stations are usually located at district police stations, and are run by the individual county. In 2009, Hawaii added legislation banning the use of electronic devices while driving.

The driver’s license stations throughout most of the Hawaiian islands can manufacture on-site a complete plastic driver’s license with photograph. At some locations, permanent driver’s licenses will be mailed to the drivers who successfully pass the driving test. Motorcycle licenses and registration are handled by the individual county DMV.

The following list includes some helpful items to keep in mind when applying for a Hawaii driver’s license.


• The vehicle you drive must have current license plates, registration and safety check.

• The Hawaii motor vehicle insurance card must be current and valid. The name of the insured must be the same as the registered owner of the vehicle.

• Have all personal data proof documents when reporting for a driver’s license. In addition to presenting a Social Security card, you must also present a birth certificate or certificate of citizenship or naturalization.

• Those receiving treatment for alcohol or substance abuse are required to have medical clearance to receive a driver’s license.

• Oral examination provisions may be available for those who are unable to read, write or understand English.

• An instruction permit must be attained prior to applying for a road test.

• Those ages 15 to 17 must hold an instruction permit for no fewer than 90 days.



For more information, visit the Hawaii Driver License website at www1.honolulu.gov/csd/vehicle/dlicense.htm.

Insuring Your Vehicle in Hawaii

The following steps will help guide you in obtaining insurance in Hawaii. First, you will need to purchase an auto insurance policy provided by a Hawaii carrier. Out-of-state auto insurance policies are not valid for registering your vehicle in Hawaii. When you are registering your vehicle, you will need to show proof of auto insurance by presenting a Hawaii vehicle identification card (VIC), which should be kept in the vehicle at all times.

An auto insurance policy will cover losses that can result from damages or injuries sustained from an accident. The following are the minimum mandatory auto insurance coverages for all vehicles operated on Hawaii roads:


• Bodily Injury Liability (BI)

   $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident

• Property Damage Liability (PD)

   $10,000 per accident

• Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

   $10,000 per person


Optional coverages that offer additional protection including uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage and collision are also available.


Once you have purchased a Hawaii auto insurance policy, you can register your vehicle with the State of Hawaii, which must be done within 10 days of arrival.

Safe Driving in Hawaii

Driving in Hawaii is a little different from other states. Use the following safe driving tips below to help keep you and your family safe on the road:


• Local residents do not use north, south, east and west when giving driving directions. They will tell you to head mauka (toward the mountain) or makai (toward the ocean), or to go in the Diamond Head (east) or Ewa (west) direction.

• Landmarks are often driving markers instead of names of streets. Pay close attention to stores and intersections around you, as you may be told to turn right at the Wal-Mart or to turn at the Anna Miller’s near Pearlridge Center.

• Familiarize yourself with the names of the exit streets on freeway markers rather than the number of the exit. Most people do not know what number exit they live off.

• Merging on freeway on-ramps can be dangerous in Hawaii. Many Honolulu on-ramps are located very near the next off-ramp, so be careful when merging in and out of freeway lanes near the exits.

• Please drive with the “aloha spirit.” Be courteous of fellow drivers and always drive defensively.


• “Shaka” is considered a courtesy sign when merging in traffic.

Motorcycle Safety

Under Hawaii DMV guidelines, motorcycle operators in Hawaii must have a Class 2 motorcycle license or motorcycle instruction permit.

For information including driver’s license office telephone numbers and addresses, how to obtain a license, temporary permits, required skills for passing the motorcycle driver performance test, a guide to motorcycle/scooter insurance laws, insurance Q&A, motorcycle safety education program application, clothing and gear for riding, and motorcycle operating tips, see the Hawaii Department of Transportation — Motorcycle Operator Manual (PDF) at: http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/files/2013/01/mvso-Motorcycle-Operator-Manual.pdf.

Applicants must be at least 15 ½ years of age, pass the motorcycle knowledge test, a sign test and a vision screening. The final step is to pass the motorcycle skills test where you will demonstrate your competency in motorcycle operation.

The State of Hawaii will waive your skills test and issue you a license if you have a motorcycle skills test certification for waiver issued by the Hawaii Motorcycle Safety Education Program or a valid motorcycle license or endorsement from a state that uses the motorcycle operator skill test. These two-day courses include classroom instruction and driver training in a controlled, off-street environment. When you successfully complete this course, you will be eligible for a Hawaii motorcycle driver’s license without having to take the state’s road test.

In addition to State of Hawaii laws, military bases also have requirements for motorcycle and moped operators and riders. The requirements differ slightly between services.

All services require every operator of a motorcycle to complete the Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s Basic Rider Course or other training approved by their service’s Safety Center. This training applies to riders whether or not they ride on or off base or on or off duty.

(Source: https://safety.army.mil/)

Safety Course

To attend a motorcycle safety course at Marine Corps Base Hawaii (Kaneohe Bay) call (808) 257-1830. Call (808) 474-3447, ext. 233 to attend at Ford Island. Call (808) 655-6455 to attend at Wheeler Army Air Field.

Motorcycle and Moped requirements (for all riders entering military installations):


Must be Department of Transportation approved and fastened properly under the chin.

Eye Protection

Eyes must be protected by shatter-resistant
goggles or a full face shield attached to the helmet. A windshield, eyeglasses or fairing alone is not considered proper eye protection.


Must wear closed-toe, over-the-ankle shoes with hard soles. Sandals, slippers, tennis
shoes and other similar footwear is not authorized.

Reflective Vest

During daylight hours riders must wear brightly colored, outer upper garment or high visibility reflective vest. During the hours of darkness riders must wear a high visibility reflective vest of international orange, lime green or bright yellow with reflective striping. Do not cover or conceal the vest while riding a motorcycle or moped. Military personnel may wear the vest over the uniform of the day. Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam requires a vest both day and night.



Must wear long trousers, long-sleeve shirt or jacket and full-fingered gloves. Riding apparel designed specifically for motorcycle riders is strongly encouraged.

Bicycling Information and Events

Take Your Bike for a Tune-up or Buy a Bike

Before you ride, take your bike for a tune-up or buy a bike and support your local bike shop. They’re knowledgeable and like to help new cyclists. On Oahu, the local bike shops can help you ship your bike.

Register Your Bike

All bicycles with 20 inch or larger wheels on Oahu are required to be registered in the City and County of Honolulu. There is a one-time fee of $15 and a fee of $5 when transferring ownership of a bicycle. After payment of the fee, the owner will be provided with a decal to be attached to the bicycle frame’s seat tube facing the forward direction. All taxes collected from the registration fees are deposited in a special bikeway fund,  which is only used for bicycle-related city projects and programs.

Bikes on the Bus

All buses on Honolulu’s TheBus system are equipped with either two- or three-capacity bike racks. Only single seated, two-wheeled bikes are allowed on TheBus.

Safety Reminders for loading a bike: When waiting to load a bike, always remain on the curb until TheBus has come to complete stop. Never approach TheBus from a side street. Bicycle racks are designed to be used from either the curbside or the front of the vehicle.

Learn to Ride Safely — Adults

The Hawaii Bicycling League (HBL) offers Commuter Cycling 101 and Walk, Bike, Drive classes for free at Windward Community College and the University of Hawaii — Manoa. HBL, with partnerships with local shops, also offers Traffic Skills 101.

Commuter Cycling 101 (CC101) is a two-hour mini introductory course on riding your bicycle in Hawaii, following bicycle traffic laws and being safe while commuting. With a League of American Bicyclists certified Instructor, 30 minutes will be spent in a classroom learning how to navigate Hawaii’s roads and interact with pedestrians and motorists. Another 30 minutes will be spent practicing defensive bicycling skills in a safe and controlled parking area. One hour will be spent implementing these practices and developing your skills on a group safety ride through the local neighborhood.

Walk, Bike, Drive (WBD) is a safety course for anyone who sets foot or tire on Hawaii’s streets and roads. Learn about comprehensive traffic safety with an hour long classroom session on how to ensure your safety and the safety of others as a pedestrian, bicyclist, and motorist. We will cover the rules of the sidewalk and roads, and the best practices to safely interact with those using other modes of transportation. Learn how to get safely across the street as a pedestrian, how to keep others safe when operating a motor vehicle, and more.

Traffic Skills 101 will provide you with the skills and confidence needed to enjoy cycling in Honolulu. Course includes discussion on your rights and responsibilities under Hawaii law, where to ride on the road, who to ride with and where for a more enjoyable and safer experience, and how to develop your “radar” and sixth sense for safety. In addition, there will be discussion and some hands-on training on what equipment to use, clothes to wear for safety and comfort, and how to fix a flat, adjust your brakes and gear, and perform other general routine maintenance.

Learn to Ride Safely — Keiki (Children)

The City and County of Honolulu sponsors the BikeEd Hawaii bicycle education program, which is run by the Hawaii Bicycling League. This nationally recognized program teaches on-road bicycle safety classes to fourth-grade students on Oahu.

The Hawaii Bicycling League also offers free community bike rodeos throughout the year on the island of Oahu. Visit the Hawaii Bicycling League’s website for more information on
either program.

Join a Weekly Ride and
Register for an Event

Local bike shops and the Hawaii Bicycling League offer weekly rides and annual events. Visit an Oahu ride calendar at www.hbl.org/rides-calendar.


Hawaii Bicycling League



Bike Map (Oahu)

Bike Map Oahu


City and County of Honolulu

Department of Transportation Services



Oahu Bike Shops

Island Triathlon & Bike, The Bike Shop, EKI Cyclerly, McCully Bicycle & Sporting Goods, Boca, The Kickstand, BIKEFACTORY.




Annual Rides

Saturday, Jul. 12 and Sunday, Jul. 13, 2014

Zach Managos Ride in Paradise

Through this ride, participants bring awareness to motorists and bicyclists to share the road and watch out for each other so we can prevent future tragedies, while riding in Zach’s memory. On Dec. 17, 2010, Zach was killed while riding his bicycle by a hit-and run-driver on Kamehameha Highway.

Every December

Christmas Lights Ride

Time varies. For more information, contact Dorian Cuccia at 271-1370 or DCuccia808@aol.com. In addition to Dorian’s, Tradewinds also hosts a Christmas Lights Ride through Honolulu (contact Atomman Kim at atommank@aol.com).

Monthly Rides

3rd Saturday in Jun., Jul. and Aug.,
8:30 to 10:30 a.m.

Monthly Beginner Summer Fun Ride  

From the Blaisdell Park, this ride goes along the bike path and through the neighborhood of Waimalu. Then it continues to the end of the bike path along Pearl Harbor, turn around and return to The Bike Shop in Aiea.

For more information, contact ride leader, Jeri, at sheiksan@gmail.com.

Last Friday of the month, 6 to 7:30 p.m.

Monthly Holoholo Ride

Holoholo Ride takes place every last Friday of the month and is open to anyone who wishes to join a fun, cycling, law conscious group of cycling enthusiasts for a cruise around Honolulu. The route starts at the State Capitol and ends at the Eat the Streets Food Truck event.  



Related Posts
A UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter assigned to Task Force Eagle Assault, 5-101 Combat Aviation Brigade, flies over the rugged terrain of eastern Afghanistan, July 28, 2015. The helicopters and crews of Eagle Assault provide critical air movement of troops and air weapons support to Train Advise Assist Command-East.A UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter assigned to Task Force Eagle Assault, 5-101 Combat Aviation Brigade, flies over the rugged terrain of eastern Afghanistan, July 28, 2015. The helicopters and crews of Eagle Assault provide critical air movement of troops and air weapons support to Train Advise Assist Command-East.
Soldiers primarily are called upon to defend physical land on the battlefield for America and its allies. But…
states with no income taxstates with no income tax
There are a lot of things to consider and during this time, living in states with no income…
military taxesmilitary taxes
While military taxes typically only apply to federally taxed base pay. There are some states that require income…