Hill AFB Community
A sponsor is someone from your new unit who is assigned to assist you in settling into your new location. You must request a sponsor through your unit. You can learn more about the sponsorship program and how to apply through your Relocation Assistance Program or the Family Center at your new installation.
Your Service will appoint your sponsor in writing. He/she will be the same or close to your rank and the same marital status, if at all possible. This person will be knowledgeable about the local community and the installation; available to assist you and your family for at least two weeks post arrival, and be someone who is positive and outgoing.
A sponsor’s duties include:
- Contacting you and your family by letter of introduction or e-mail upon learning of your assignment to the installation.
- Following up with a personal phone call after contact has been made.
- Sending information about the installation/area which you may require, or putting you in touch with the resources on the web and at the installation that provide current, complete and up-to-date information such as those provided by the Relocation Program.
- Answering any questions which you or your family may have, or, again, providing the proper resources to answer those questions.
- Confirm transportation and lodging arrangements.
- Assisting with obtaining a Post Office Box for your mail.
- Meeting you and your family upon arrival.
- Accompanying you to your check in point for the unit.
- Introducing you to the Family Center and lending closet
- Providing essential service locations such as commissary, exchange, gas station, and bank.
- Being available when you arrive at your installation to meet you, show you around, and help you through in-processing.