Kirtland AFB Community
Planning for emergencies
Kirtland Air Force Base: Support Services Emergency Assistance
|Command Post (After Hours Emergency)||505-846-3777|
Civil Engineering Emergency Service Desk
|Sexual Assault Response Coordinator – Available 24/7||505-846-SARC (7272)|
The Airman and Family Readiness Center
The Airman and Family Readiness Center (A&FRC) provides emergency financial assistance services through the Air Force Aid Society (AFAS) to:
- Active Duty Air Force members and their dependents.
- Active Duty Army, Navy/Marine Corps members and their dependents through reciprocal agreements between the respective service relief societies.
- Air National Guard (ANG) and Air Force Reserve personnel on extended active duty over 15 days under Title 10, USC.
- Retired Air Force personnel and their dependents on a limited basis.
- Spouses and dependents of deceased Air Force personnel on a limited basis.
The Air Force Aid Society
The Air Force Aid Society is the official charity of the United States Air Force. The society is a non-profit organization that promotes the Air Force mission by:
- Providing Worldwide Emergency Assistance
- Sponsoring Education Assistance Programs
- Offering a variety of base Community Enhancement Programs
Emergency assistance usually combines an assessment of the emergency situation and an evaluation of the personal budget to arrive at a decision to make an interest free loan, a grant, or combination of both. Some examples are:
- Rent or mortgage payment to prevent eviction or foreclosure
- Paying utility bills to avoid being cut off
- Money to purchase food
- Emergency Travel due to the serious illness or funeral of a family member
- Money for a dependent’s funeral expenses
- Car repair for an essential vehicle
- Essential dental care
- Pay/allotment problems
- Other special situations and unique needs
The Falcon Loan complements the Air Force Aid Society’s standard emergency assistance program. It is a loan of $500 or less that can be used for the following types of emergency needs:
- Basic Living Expenses (rent, mortgage, food, phone, utilities, gasoline)
- Vehicle Expenses (payment, repair, insurance)
- Emergency travel
- Medical, dental care
- Child care expenses
The streamlined application process does not require budget information, documentation, or First Sergeant/Commander approval.
IMPORTANT NOTE: There is not yet a reciprocal agreement between AFAS, Army Emergency Relief, or Navy Marine Corps Relief Society to process express type loans.
The Mid-Rio Grande Chapter of the American Red Cross provides services to Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque and the following 19 counties which include: Bernalillo, Colfax, Curry, DeBaca, Guadalupe, Harding, Los Alamos, Mora, Quay, Rio Arriba, Roosevelt, Miguel, Sandoval, Santa Fe, Socorro, Taos, Torrance, Union, and Valencia counties. The offices for the Mid-Rio Grande Chapter are located at 142 Monroe Street NE, Albuquerque, NM 87108. For more information call 505-265-8514 (or 1 800 560 2302), or go to their website.
The American Red Cross office on Kirtland AFB is located in the Consolidated Support (BLDG 20245) Room 146 and is staffed by volunteers. As such hours vary. For more information contact: 505-846-5564.
Information and Referral For more information about emergency assistance, contact the Airman & Family Readiness Center at 505-846-0741/0751 or DSN 312-246-0741/0751.
For information on services provided by the Salvation Army call 505-872-1171 or 505-872-5696.
For immediate emergency assistance, contact the Sexual Assault Response Coordinator at 505-846-SARC (7272). Available 24/7.