Los Angeles AFB Community
LA AFB traces its history back to the Air Research and Development Command’s Western Development Division, which was activated July 1, 1954, in Inglewood, not far from our current location. The activities of the Space Systems Division moved to the intersection of Aviation and El Segundo Boulevards in the early 60’s, and the property was designated Los Angeles Air Force Station on April 10, 1964. The Space and Missile Systems Command’s predecessors have remained at Los Angeles Air Force Station, which was redesignated as Los Angeles Air Force Base in September, 1987. The base in El Segundo, which has no flightline, houses the main installation. Fort MacArthur, which is located 20 mile south of the main base, is actually part of Los Angeles Air Force Base. For more information see LA AFB’s homepage.