Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island Community
MCAS Beaufort Squadron Histories
The lineage, history and mission of Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron is in line with that of Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort.
Personnel assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron operate the facilities that provide a home and a base of operations to FMF tenant units of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing and 2nd Marine Logistics Group. Marine Aircraft Group 31 is the primary tenant command and consists of seven fighter attack squadrons, which fly and maintain all active duty East Coast Marine Corps F/A-18 Hornets and includes MALS-31.
Activated as Marine Corps Auxiliary Airfield in January 1955, the area was
re-designated as Marine Corps Auxiliary Air Station June 1956. On March 1, 1960, the auxiliary air station was re-designated a Marine Corps Air Station. The airfield at MCAS Beaufort was named Merritt Field in honor of Major General Lewie Merritt, USMC (retired), on Sept. 19, 1975.
The military population of Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron is approximately 700 Marine and Navy personnel.
Our mission is to provide a total quality environment to enhance all tenant activities in the accomplishment of their assigned missions. This includes operating support aircraft, ensuring environmentally sound facilities and practices, providing quality services while utilizing our available resources, nurturing quality-of-life programs and conducting pro-active community relations.
The awards presented to Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron, Marine Corps Air Station, Beaufort include the Meritorious Unit Commendation Streamer and the National Defense Service Streamer with one bronze star.
Combat Logistics Company 23
Combat Logistics Company 23 was activated as Combat Service Support Detachment 23, Detachment “B,” 2nd Force Service Support Group, on Nov. 26, 1976, to support Fleet Marine Force Atlantic units at Marine Corps Air Station, Beaufort, S.C. The name change from CSSD-23 to Combat Logistics Company 23 was made official in April 2005. The change came as part of a sweeping transformation of FSSGs to more effectively support current and future war fighting requirements. The unit will be referred to as CSSD-23 in portions of their history.
CLC-23 consists of an intermediate Maintenance shop, Supply section, Information Systems Management Officer and Medical section.
The primary mission of Det “B” was third echelon maintenance support on tactical motor transport and engineer equipment.
During April 10 through 14, 1978, the detachment participated in its first major support operation “Operation Night Owl.” On May 4, 1981, General Support Unit personnel were assigned to 2d FSSG Det “B” to support ADPE-FMF operations at MCAS Beaufort.
Over several months in 1984 to 1985, Detachment “B” supported the Marines in Lebanon and naval personnel on ships by deploying Marines from various ships within the unit, with skills ranging from heavy equipment operators and mechanics to computer programmers.
On July 22, 1987, Detachment “B” was re-designated as Combat Service Support Detachment Two-Three.
In 1990, the detachment provided a contact team to support Marine Wing Support Squadron 273 during movement to Florida in support of Operation Desert Shield. In June 1991, an additional thirteen Marines deployed to Southwest Asia as part of Combat Service Support Element, Military Prepositioning Force Reconstitution.
From 1994 to 1995, members of CSSD-23 augmented Joint Task Force 160 in Operation Sea Signal in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. JTF-160 took care of the significant migration of Haitians and Cubans, which required significant humanitarian assistance and security on naval base Guantanamo, Cuba.
In December 2001, the Commanding General, 2d Force Service Support Group approved a new detachment logo. The new logo was more descriptive of the maintenance mission of the now “Roughnecks” and displayed an F/A-18 Hornet to illustrate the direct role the detachment’s mission has on keeping MAG-31 flying by helping to keep MWWS-273’s ground equipment up and running.
In January 2002, 41 Marines and Sailors were deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom I (OIF-I).
In December 2002, Combat Service Support Detachment 23 increased it’s capability by assuming the 3d echelon maintenance of small arms, as well as establishing the Combat Service Support Detachment 23 ATLASS II help desk in support of all II MEF units located at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort.
From 2003 to 2004, elements of CSSD-23 participated in support of the Global War on Terrorism, Horn of Africa.
In 2004, elements participated in support of Operation Secure Tomorrow, in Haiti.
Today Roughnecks from CLC-23 continue to support individual augment requirements in support of the Global War on Terrorism, while those at MCAS Beaufort continue to provide critical support of the units stationed here.
Marine Aircraft Group 31
Marine Aircraft Group 31 was commissioned at Cherry Point, N.C., on February 1943. From October 1943 to Oct. 12, 1945, the Group operated throughout the Pacific Area and played an integral part in the battle for Okinawa. Subsequent to the seizure of Okinawa, MAG-31 squadrons continued their part in the war conducting operations from Yantan Airfield on the island. While on Okinawa, MAG-31 was commanded by Colonel John C. Munn, who later became a Lieutenant General and Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps.
On Oct. 12, 1945, the Group departed Okinawa for Yokosuka, Japan, becoming the first Marine land-based Group to operate in the Japanese homeland. The Group was transferred from the 2nd MAW to the 4th MAW on Feb. 12, 1946, and then
to the Fleet Marine Force Pacific on
March 13, 1946.
The Group returned to the United States on July 5, 1946, and was stationed at the Marine Corps Air Station, Miramar, San Diego, Calif., until it was decommissioned on May 31, 1947.
MAG-31 was reactivated on March 17, 1952, at Cherry Point, N.C., and transferred to Marine Corps Air Station, Miami, Fla., operating as a part of the 3rd MAW until it was again decommissioned in 1958.
On Nov. 1, 1961, MAG-31 was again reactivated and stationed at its present home, Marine Corps Air Station, Beaufort, S.C., as part of the 2nd MAW.
The mission of Marine Aircraft Group 31 is to conduct anti-air warfare and offensive air support operations in support of Fleet Marine Forces from advance bases, expeditionary airfields and aircraft carriers, and to conduct such other air operations as may be directed.
The MAG currently operates at a high tempo supporting Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom and the Unit Deployment Program in the Pacific.
Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 31
Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 31 along with Marine Aircraft Group 31, Headquarters Squadron 31 was activated on
Feb. 1, 1943, at Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, N.C., as an element of the 3rd Aircraft Wing, Fleet Marine Force.
Between April 7 and Aug. 15, 1945, personnel from Headquarters Squadron 31 supported the tactical aircrews of MAG-31 who flew 38,187 hours and shot down 191 enemy planes. Multiple missions were flown over Okinawa, southern Kyushu, the China coast and more than a dozen enemy-held islands between Formosa and Kyushu. By the end of the Ryukyus Campaign, MAG-31 units had moved from Yontan to Chimu on Okinawa.
On Oct. 12, 1945, Headquarters Squadron 31 departed Okinawa for the Marine Air Base at Yokosuka, Japan, as MAG-31 became the first Marine land-based air group to operate on the Japanese homeland. By July 1946, MAG 31 and its elements were operating out of the Marine Corps Air Station, Miramar, Calif., where they remained until deactivation on May 31, 1947.
Headquarters Squadron 31 was reactivated at MCAS Cherry Point, N.C., on March 17, 1952, and moved to MCAS Miami, Fla. On Feb. 15, 1954, Headquarters Squadron 31 was re-designated Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 31.
Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 31 was re-designated on Aug. 22, 1958, as it became part of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, AirFMFLant. The squadron, along with the group, was reduced to a cadre status and moved to Cherry Point, N.C. Within three years, the squadron returned to full operational status.
After reactivation on Nov. 1, 1961, Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 31 was reestablished at MCAS Beaufort, S.C. Personnel provided logistical and administrative support to MAG-31 units and augmented deployed tactical squadrons. Additionally, the squadron provided proficiency training for attached pilots with C-117D and T-1A aircraft.
During November 1968, the squadron received the Commanding General, FMFLant aviation Safety Award for supporting 2,029 mishap-free flight hours. In the ensuing 20-year period, Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 31 participated in a multitude of training and deployment exercises in support of MAG 31 flying squadrons. Throughout, the squadron focused on sustaining readiness, enhancing combat capabilities and providing around-the-clock logistics support.
On Oct. 1, 1988, Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 31 was re-designated Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 31, and in 1990, successfully completed the transition of its aviation logistics support mission from the F-4 Phantom to the F/A-18 Hornet.
Since its establishment, the Marines and Sailors of MALS-31 have provided on-going support wherever MAG-31 squadrons are deployed—stateside and abroad, from land and from sea—including Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm; Operations Deny Flight, Joint Endeavor, and Decisive Edge in Bosnia; Operations Noble Anvil, Allied Force and Joint Guardian in Serbia and Kosovo; Operation Enduring Freedom onboard USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71); and Operation Iraqi Freedom in Iraq as well as onboard the USS Truman (CVN-75).
Marine Fighter Squadron 115 was organized on July 1, 1943, at Santa Barbara, Calif., under the command of Maj. John S. MacLaughlin. Sixteen days later, the command was assumed by one of the Marine Corps’ most famous Aces, Maj. Joseph Foss, holder of a Marine World War II record of 26 enemy aircraft shot down. The squadron quickly picked up the nickname, “Joe’s Jokers.” In May 1944, the squadron joined the Pacific campaign flying the legendary F4U-1 Corsair.
At the conclusion of World War II, the squadron deployed to Peking, China, to protect U.S. interests in that area and support III Marine Amphibious Corps supervising the surrender and repatriation of 630,000 Japanese troops and civilians in North China.
In December 1949, VMF-115 became the first Marine Corps squadron to receive a full complement of Grumman F9F-2 Panther jet fighters and during November 1950, was the first to serve aboard a carrier, qualifying all 18 pilots without incident aboard the USS Roosevelt.
In the spring of 1957, the squadron received the Marine Corps’ first F-40 Skyrays and were designated VMF (AW)-115. After flying Skyrays longer than any other squadron, VMF (AW)-115 was re-designated VMFA-115 on Jan. 1, 1964, and transitioned to the Mach II capable F-4B Phantom II.
The “Able Eagles” were deployed to Da Nang, Republic of Vietnam, on Oct. 14, 1965.
During the Vietnam War, VMFA-115 flew more than 34,000 combat sorties, at a cost of 14 aircraft lost, 21 aircrew killed in action, and six Marines killed in action while participating in such battles as the Tet Offensive, Hue City, Khe San and Task Force Delta.
In July 1977, VMFA-115 relocated to 2nd MAW, MCAS Beaufort, S.C.
After flying Phantoms for more than 20 years, VMFA-115 began the transition to the F/A-18A Hornet on Jan. 1, 1985, and officially stood up with 14 aircraft on Aug. 16, 1985. The following year, the squadron became officially known as the “Silver Eagles.”
In 1989, VMFA-115 returned to the Philippines and supported government forces during a coup attempt in that country. The squadron flew armed CAP and escort missions until the situation stabilized.
During the years from 1991 to 2000, the “Silver Eagles” participated in the Unit Deployment Program (UDP) in the Western Pacific for six-month deployments in support of 1st MAW. Upon completion of their 2000 UDP, the “Silver Eagles” began the transition from F/A-18As to the updated F/A-18A s. As of spring 2001, VMFA-115 was designated a carrier integration squadron. The Marines of VMFA-115 deployed aboard the USS Truman as part of Carrier Air Wing 3 in the fall of 2002; this was the first carrier deployment for the “Silver Eagles” since 1981 when they flew F-4s. This deployment was in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in which the squadron expended more than 150 tons of ordnance.
The illustrious history of Marine Corps aviation has been highlighted with the outstanding achievement of VMFA-115. The squadron has seen extensive service in nearly every war involving Marines. During those years, it carried out its assigned missions with distinction in the South Pacific, the Philippines, North China, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam and Thailand. In peacetime training, whether in Japan, the United States, Hawaii Okinawa, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean or Western Europe, VMFA-115 set a standard of excellence for other Fighter-Attack squadrons in the Marine Corps to follow.
The Silver Eagles returned from a seven-month deployment aboard Al-Asad Air Base, Iraq in September 2008, where they supported Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Marine Fighter Squadron 122 was commissioned on March 1, 1942, at Camp Kearny, Calif. Originally the “Candystripers,” the squadron was organized and trained under its first Commanding Officer, Major I.I. Brackett. Outfitted with the F-4F “Wildcat,” the squadron embarked on its first combat tour in October 1942. Throughout 1942-43, the squadron conducted combat operations on Espiritu Santo, at Henderson Field, Guadalcanal, and during the Rendova and Munda campaigns. During April 1943, under the command of Major “Pappy” Boyington, VMF-122 transitioned to the F4U-1 “Corsair,” and accounted for 351/2 kills. The squadron ended its first combat tour, returning to Miramar, Calif., in August 1943.
Embarking on the USS Hollandia for its second combat deployment during July 1944, the squadron was outfitted with new Goodyear F4G-1A aircraft.
The squadron remained at Peleliu until reporting to MCAS Cherry Point, N.C., in February 1946. Deactivated between July and October 1946, VMF-122 was reactivated and received the FH-1 “Phantom” in November 1947, becoming the first Marine Squadron to employ jet-propelled aircraft. Assigned to USS Oriskany, VMF-122 became the first Marine jet squadron to be both day and night qualified for carrier operations. In July 1952, the squadron transitioned to the F9F-4 “Panther.” Later equipped with the more powerful
F9F-5, the squadron deployed aboard the USS Coral Sea. Following the Mediterranean Sea cruise in 1953, the squadron was assigned to MAG-24 at MCAS Cherry Point, N.C.
In January 1954, VMF-122 was the first Marine Squadron equipped with the FJ-2 “Fury.” With a change of aircraft, the squadron adopted the distinctive Candystriper insignia and tail markings. VMF-122 relocated to MCAS Beaufort, S.C., in September 1957. In December 1957 the squadron became the fastest squadron in the Marine Corps with delivery of the first F8U-1’s (F-8A) “Crusader” by Chance-Vought. A new patch was designed to go with the new aircraft and VMF-122 officially became known as the “Werewolves.”
During 1964, the Werewolves deployed to Atsugi, Japan, for one year, returning to MCAS El Toro, Calif., in January 1965. At El Toro, VMF (AW)-122 transitioned to the F-4B “Phantom” and was designated Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 122. VMFA-122 deployed to the Republic of Vietnam in August 1967, operating from Da Nang Air Base. VMFA-122 rotated to MCAS Iwakuni, Japan, in September 1968, returning to Vietnam in the summer of 1969, at Marine Air Base Chu Lai.
Following a distinguished combat record, the “Werewolves” were assigned to MCAS Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, in September 1970. The “Werewolves” were then ordered to MCAS Iwakuni, Japan, as a Joint Chiefs of Staff directive to counter a North Vietnamese offensive against South Vietnam. The squadron returned to Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, on Dec. 27, 1972.
On Aug. 14, 1974, VMFA-122 was placed in a Cadre status in anticipation of becoming the Marine Corps’ first F-14A squadron. With the decision not to accept the “Tomcat” into the Marine Corps inventory, VMFA-122 was reactivated at MCAS Beaufort, S.C., and refitted with the F-4J. On Sept. 25, 1985, VMFA-122 flew its last F-4 sortie, completing 20 years of service as an F-4 “Phantom” squadron.
On Jan. 22, 1986, the “Werewolves” began a new era with the acceptance of its first
F/A-18A Hornet. In October 2001, the “Werewolves” increased their combat capabilities by transitioning to the F/A-18C. In July 2002, the “Werewolves” continued the UDP rotation, deploying to Iwakuni, Japan, in which the squadron was extended for a full year. While on deployment in November 2002, the “Werewolves” surpassed 70,000 Class A mishap-free flight hours. In February 2004 the squadron deployed for a Western Pacific tour for six months.
The Werewolves returned in early 2007 from a six-month deployment to Iwakuni, Japan, supporting training requirements in Japan and South Korea. The squadron officially became known as the “Werewolves” Jan. 8, 2008.
The Werewolves made history Aug. 29, 2008, when the squadron stepped off American territory and headed east to participate in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
The Werewolves upon their return May 2011, were the last F/A-18 squadron to serve on the ground in Afghanistan flying out of Kandahar Airfield.
Marine Fighter Squadron (VMF) 224 was commissioned on May 1, 1942, at Barbers Point, Hawaii. Flying Grumman F-4F Wildcats, the Bengals entered WWII as part of the vaunted Cactus Air Force stationed on Henderson Field Guadalcanal. Led by Medal of Honor recipient Maj. Robert Galer, in less than two months the squadron accounted for over 60 downed Japanese aircraft and conducted infantry support missions while under constant attack from Japanese Naval, Air and Ground forces. The American victory at Guadalcanal helped stem the tide of the Japanese advance across the Southern Pacific and secured a crucial foothold in the long island-hopping campaign to Japan.
Following the surrender of Japan, the squadron served in various capacities in the states and overseas. The squadron entered the jet era in 1951 with the acceptance of the F2H-2 Banshee. In 1952, after completing a Mediterranean Cruise aboard the USS Roosevelt, the squadron accepted the Grumman F9F-5 Panther, and was re-designated Marine Attack Squadron (VMA) 224. In July 1956, the squadron became the first Marine unit to field the A4D-1 Skyhawk aircraft.
On Nov. 1, 1966, the squadron acquired the Grumman A-6A Intruder and was re-designated as Marine All-Weather Attack Squadron 224.
The squadron received the upgraded A-6E TRAM (Target Recognition and Multi-Sensor) aircraft in 1974.
The Bengals deployed to the Middle East arriving on Aug. 28, 1990. Operating from Shaikh-Isa Air Base, Bahrain, the squadron
conducted deterrent and training sorties as
part of operation Desert Shield. From Jan. 16 to Feb. 28, 1991, the Bengals led the way in night combat operations in support of Operation Desert Storm, expending more than 2.3 million pounds of ordnance during 422 combat sorties.
On March 6, 1993, the squadron was re-designated VMFA (AW)-224 and moved to MCAS Beaufort, S.C., where the Bengals received the multi-mission F/A-18D Hornet.
In September 1994, September 1995, and February 1997, the Bengals deployed to Aviano, Italy, as part of the United Nations force for operations Deny Flight, Provide Promise, Deliberate Force, Joint Endeavor, Deliberate Guard and Silver Wake.
In July 2001, VMFA (AW)-224 deployed for UDP in the Far East. For a majority of the deployment the squadron was split into two detachments. The detachments flew in support of both 31st MEU and 15th MEU, conducted ATARS reconnaissance missions, normal squadron training and other such operations as deemed necessary by 1st MAW and MAG-12. During the course of the UDP, the Bengals operated out of Guam, Okinawa, Australia, Trukk Island, Pappa New Guinea, the Philippines Islands, South Korea and mainland Japan.
In July 2003, VMFA (AW)-224 deployed again for UDP in the Far East. The unit operated out of Darwin, Australia; Okinawa; Guam in support of Exercise Cope North; and Iwakuni, Japan.
In February 2005, the unit was the first MAG-31 squadron to deploy in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The unit returned in August 2005 after completing a successful combat deployment at Camp Al Asad, Iraq. The squadron boasts an impressive record of sorties flown and delivery of ordinance in support of operations on the ground. In 2007, the Bengals were deployed to Iwakuni, Japan, as part of the Unit Deployment Program.
The squadron effectively balanced participation in multi-national exercises with needed unit training, to the extent of splitting squadron assets and personnel between two sites. These exercises saw VMFA (AW)-224 in such location as Thailand, Singapore and South Korea as well as Japan. January 2009 marked yet another UDP rotation, with the squadron training and supporting exercises in the same countries as their previous deployment.
Marine Fighter Squadron 251 was activated Dec. 1, 1941, at Naval Air Station North Island, Calif., as Marine Observation Squadron 251 (VMO-251) under the command of Capt. Elliot E. Bard.
While flying the Grumman F4F-3P “Wildcat” during World War II, the squadron participated in numerous Pacific campaigns including Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, Santa Cruz, Luzon and the Southern Philippines. In July 1942, the squadron deployed to New Zealand and was then relocated to the island of Espiritu Santo to support the invasion of Guadalcanal. The squadron returned to the United States in July 1943.
Following a move to Mojave, Calif., in May 1943 and then to Camp Pendleton, Calif., in November of that same year, the squadron transitioned to the Vought F-4U “Corsair” and was re-designated as Marine Fighting Squadron 251. The squadron was redeployed to Espiritu Santo in February 1944 with the new motto “Lucifer’s Messenger.” While on Espiritu Santo, the squadron participated in an offensive push on the Japanese Fortress of Rabaul until January 1944. The Thunderbolts then relocated to the Central Philippines and again to Bougainville in June to participate in the Bismark Sea campaign before returning to the Philippines in January 1945. VMF-251 continued operations in the Pacific until May 1, 1945, when it flew its last combat mission of World War II while supporting clean-up operations at Leyte.
In May 1994, VMFA-251 received F/A-18Cs in preparation for assignment to Carrier Air Wing One aboard the USS America. The Thunderbolts successfully completed their first carrier deployment with the F/A-18C in February 1996. The Thunderbolts deployed two additional times with CVW-1, aboard the USS George Washington in September 1997 and the USS John F. Kennedy in September 1999. Both deployments were in support of Operation Southern Watch.
During the summer months of 2001 the squadron completed another workup cycle with CVW-1. In September 2001, the squadron deployed onboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt to the Arabian Sea where it was the first Marine squadron to participate in Operation Enduring Freedom. The squadron returned to MCAS Beaufort, S.C., in March 2002.
In September 2002, the Thunderbolts were presented the Robert Hanson Trophy as the “Marine Fighter Attack Squadron of the Year.”
On Feb. 12, 2003, the squadron detached from MAG-31 and departed on an unscheduled deployment with MAG-11 to the Middle East in support of Operation Southern Watch and then Operation Iraqi Freedom. On Feb. 20, 2003, the squadron began flying combat missions in support of OSW and then transitioned to combat operations in support of OIF on March 19, 2003.
The squadron flew its last OIF mission on May 4, 2003, and returned home to MAG-31 on May 13, 2003. They deployed again aboard the USS Enterprise from April 2006 to October 2006 and flew missions in support of both Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. This deployment marked the first time that, as a carrier-based squadron, the unit deployed ashore to Camp Al Asad, Iraq, for two months before embarking back on the USS Enterprise. The squadron deployed aboard the USS Enterprise again from July 2007 to December 2007 and flew missions in support of the Global War on Terrorism.
The Thunderbolts were the last Marine fighter attack squadron to serve aboard the USS Enterprise. The aircraft carrier was decommissioned after the squadron’s return to the Air Station, November 2012.
Marine Fighter Squadron 312 (VMF-312) was commissioned on June 1, 1943, at Page Field, Parris Island, S.C. Commanded by Major Richard M. Day, the squadron began flight operations with 10 SNJ-4 Texans and one F4U-1D’s and one SNJ-4. The squadron began combat training due to the urgency of the war effort. At this time, the Checkerboards emblem began to appear on both the cowling and rudder of the aircraft. Sporting six .50 caliber machine guns, the design continues to adorn the identifier of VMFA-312.
Departing Parris Island on Jan. 2, 1944, the squadron prepared to begin combat operations in the Pacific theater assigned to Marine Aircraft Group 11 on June 25, 1944, the squadron was transported to Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, where they received 24 FG-1 Corsairs. With newly installed 3.5- and 5-inch rocket launchers, the squadron prepared for its first combat action from the recently captured Kadena airstrip. VMF-312 continued to operate from Kadena Air Base until the cessation of hostilities.
In 1973, the squadron received the newer F-4J aircraft, with its much improved radar and avionics, as well as improved aerodynamic design.
In 1979, the Checkerboards became the first Second Marine Aircraft Wing Fighter Squadron to deploy to WES-PAC under the Unit Deployment six-month rotation program. In July 1987, VMFA-312 retired its F-4 aircraft and transitioned to the F/A-18A Hornet.
In April 2000, VMFA-312 began cruise workups with Carrier Air Wing Three; however, this time the ship was the USS Harry S. Truman sailing on her maiden deployment. On Nov. 27, 2000, VMFA-312 embarked on the USS Harry S. Truman for her historic first deployment.
Carrier Air Wing Three entered the North Arabian Gulf and began Operation Southern Watch missions on Jan. 3, 2001. On
Jan. 20, a VMFA-312 jet destroyed an anti-aircraft artillery site, which was threatening coalition aircraft in Southern Iraq. On
Feb. 16, five VMFA-312 aircraft participated in a large force strike against numerous targets in the vicinity of Baghdad.
The Checkerboards deployed aboard the USS Enterprise in August 2003. They flew combat sorties in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. In November 2003, it was the first squadron in Carrier Air Wing One to release ordnance in support of ground forces in Iraq. The Checkerboards remained in the Central Command Area of Responsibility until the end of January and returned home to Beaufort in February 2004. The squadron was awarded the 2004 Marine Corps Aviation Association Hanson Award, as the best Fighter Attack squadron in the Marine Corps. The squadron deployed again in September 2007 as part of the Unit Deployment Program and returned in the Spring of 2008.
Marine Fighter Squadron 533 began an illustrious tradition of tactical excellence on Oct. 1, 1943, at Cherry Point, N.C. Commissioned as Marine Night Fighter Squadron 533 (VMF(N) 533), it was the third such Marine Squadron, which flew the Grumman F6F-3N Hellcat.
In October 1945, 533 was stationed in Peiping, China, and soon transitioned to the F7F-3N Tigercat. From Peiping the squadron moved to Hawaii, and in January 1947 to MCAS Cherry Point, N.C., where during the Korean conflict the squadron trained aircrews for the night fighter squadrons in Korea.
In May 1953, the squadron transitioned to its first jet aircraft, the F2H-A Banshee. The squadron was re-designated as Marine Fighter Squadron 533. The F9F-9 Cougar was introduced to the Hawks in 1957. A-4Ds replaced the Cougars and the squadron was re-designated Marine Attack Squadron 533 in 1959. In 1965, Marine Attack Squadron 533 became Marine All Weather Attack Squadron after acquiring the world’s most sophisticated attack aircraft, at the time, the Grumman A-6A Intruder. In June 1972, VMA (AW)-533 returned to combat while deployed to Nam Phong, Thailand, otherwise known as the “Rose Garden.” The squadron returned to MCAS Iwakuni in August 1973. In November 1975, the squadron departed for MCAS Cherry Point. In 1976, VMA (AW)-533 received its first Marine A-6E aircraft.
During December 1990, the squadron completed the movement of ten A-6E Intruders to NAS Cubi Point, Philippines, in preparation for deployment to Operation Desert Shield. From Dec. 23, 1990, to Jan. 16, 1991, the Hawks conducted flight operations and 24-hour CAS/DAS alerts in support of Operation Desert Shield.
On March 24, 1991, the squadron returned to MCAS Cherry Point, completing an 11.5-month around-the-world tour. The Hawks made history on Sept. 1, 1992, when they were re-designated Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 533, becoming the first squadron in 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing to transition to the two-seat F/A-18D. The squadron received its first F/A-18D on
Oct. 7, 1992, and completed relocation to MCAS Beaufort, S.C., on Dec. 7, 1992. In July 1993, VMFA (AW)-533 deployed to Aviano Air Base, Italy, in support of NATO forces and Security Council resolution 816. The Hawks flew their first operational mission over Bosnia-Herzegovina only three days after setting foot on Italian soil. The squadron returned to the United States on Jan. 14, 1994.
On March 23, 1995, VMFA (AW)-533 redeployed to Aviano, Italy, in support of Operation Deny Flight. On June 8, 1995, a division of Hawks located and assisted in the rescue of Air Force Captain Scott O’Grady. In August 1996, VMFA (AW)-533 redeployed to Aviano Air Base, Italy, in support of Operations Decisive Edge and Joint Endeavor. The Hawks returned to MCAS Beaufort on Feb. 22, 1997.
On Aug. 31, 1998, VMFA (AW)-533 left MCAS Beaufort for it’s first WestPac Deployment in seven years. On May 28 the Hawks led the first strike into Yugoslavia, destroying multiple military storage facilities north of Pristina. After spending nine out of the previous eleven months deployed, the Hawks returned to MCAS Beaufort on July 2, 1999.
Departing Beaufort on Feb. 10, 2003, in support of Operations Southern Watch and Enduring Freedom and arriving at Ahmed Al Jaber Air Base, Kuwait on Feb. 11, 2003, the Hawks once again found themselves poised for combat. On March 20, 2003, coalition forces crossed into Iraq and for the next 30 days conducted 24-hour flight operations in support of the coalition forces’ advance into Iraq. With the end of hostilities in mid-April of 2003 the Hawks were subsequently ordered to prepare for redeployment to CONUS. Leaving the sandstorms of Kuwait behind, the squadron began their retrograde on May 2, 2003, and had safely returned every member of the squadron to Beaufort by May 10, 2003.
In February 2006, the Hawks deployed to Al Asad Air Base in the Al Anbar Province of Iraq.
The squadron was assigned to the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing in support of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. The Hawks employed the F/A-18D with the Litening II FLIR/TV pod in a myriad of roles which included reconnaissance, surveillance, convoy escort, close-air support, strike missions, forward air controller airborne (FAC(A)) and tactical air controller airborne (TAC(A)). While once again operating around the clock, the squadron expended over 110,000 pounds of ordnance, flying 2,480 sorties and 7,456 flight hours. Having returned safely in August 2006, the Hawks continued to hone their warfighting skills, once again eager to prove their combat capabilities whenever called upon.
Marine Wing Support Squadron 273
On June 13, 1986, Marine Wing Support Squadron 273 (MWSS-273) was formed at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C., from elements of Marine Air Base Squadron 31, and Detachment Bravo, Marine Wing Support Group 27. The assigned mission of MWSS-273 is to provide all essential aviation ground support to a designated fixed-wing component of a Marine Aviation Combat Element (ACE), and all supporting or attached elements of the Marine Air Control Group (MACG). This support includes internal airfield communications, weather services, expeditionary airfield services, aircraft rescue and firefighting, aircraft and ground refueling, essential engineer services, motor transport, messing, chemical defense, security and law enforcement, airbase commandant functions, and explosive ordnance disposal.
Additionally, in garrison, MWSS-273 is tasked to supplement air station facilities and services provided by Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C.
Since the formation of the Squadron, the “Sweat Hogs” of MWSS-273 have distinguished themselves tactically and professionally in the continental United States and around the world. In 1989, MWSS-273
provided extensive disaster relief support to the city of Charleston, S.C., during the aftermath of Hurricane Hugo. During Operation Desert Storm in 1990, the squadron played a direct role in providing aviation ground support for United Nations forces conducting combat operations against Iraq. During
Operation Desert Storm, the Marines of MWSS-273 assisted in the construction of the largest expeditionary airfield in Marine Corps history at Al Khanjar, Saudi Arabia, in addition to several other major construction and transportation projects. Throughout the 1990s, the squadron provided extensive operational support to Aviano Air Force Base, Italy, Nato contingency operations Deny Flight and Provide Promise, Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti, Operation Joint Forge in the Balkans, Operation Allied Force and Joint Task Force Noble Anvil in Taszar, Hungary, and numerous Marine Expeditionary Units. In addition, MWSS-273 has also provided extensive training and exercise support both in and out of CONUS, to include Baltic Challenge, Baltic Castle, Roving Sands, Combined Arms Exercises (CAX), Hornet’s Nest, Battle Griffin, Fuertes Defenses, Dynamic Mix, Joint Task Force-6 and New Horizons.
MWSS-273 has extended its impressive record into the new millennium, providing support personnel for the ongoing Operation Enduring Freedom taking place in Afghanistan, Operation Iraqi Freedom and joint Task Force-Bravo in the Republic of Honduras, and exercises CAX, Desert Talon and New Horizons. These operations and exercises have continuously challenged the abilities and dedication of the squadron throughout its history, yielding consistently stellar results.
In addition to its tactical competence and success, MWSS-273 has consistently provided support for military and civic construction projects, saving taxpayers millions of dollars.
Major projects completed by the Sweat Hogs include: The Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island’s “Crucible” and several physical fitness areas, the Summerville, S.C., parks and recreation athletic complex, St. Helena’s Island tornado clean-up, erosion control at Hunting Island State Park, and hurricane evacuation and clean-up assistance. Since 1997, MWSS-273 has taken the lead, Marine Corps wide, in K-Span construction, completing over 20 buildings in five years, including eleven K-Spans for MCGCDC 29 Palms, six K-Spans for MCAS Beaufort, two K-Spans for MCRD PI and one K-Span for the local community.
Unit Awards include the Navy Commendation Streamer, the National Defense Service Streamer, and the Southwest Asia Streamer with three bronze stars.
In April 2009 the Sweathogs returned from a seven-month deployment where they operated out of Al Asad Air Base where they provided aviation ground support for Multi-National Forces-West in the Al Anbar Province, Iraq.
The Sweathogs deployed to Afghanistan spring of 2012 to support 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing(FWD) with ground support for aircraft as well as retrograde efforts throughout Southwestern Afghanistan.
Marine Air Control Squadron 2 (MACS-2)
“Eyes of the MAGTF”
Marine Air Control Squadron 2’s history dates back to 1 April, 1944, when the Squadron was formed as Marine Air Warning Squadron 11 at Cherry Point, N.C., and was attached to Marine Air Warning Group 1, 9th Marine Aircraft Wing. During June 1944, the squadron relocated to Miramar, Calif., and was assigned to Marine Air Warning Group 2. In March 1945, the squadron relocated once again, being assigned to the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing at Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii. Four months later, Marine
Air Warning Squadron 11 joined Marine Aircraft Group 43 of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing in Kume Shima, Ryuku Islands. Shortly thereafter, in October 1945, the squadron moved to Tsingtas, China, to join Marine Aircraft Group 24, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, and participated in the occupation of North China until May 1946. Proceeding from North China, the Squadron moved once again to Miramar, Calif., and in August 1946, it was redesignated as Marine Ground Control Intercept Squadron 2, a member of Marine Air Warning Group 2, where it remained until its deactivation on Oct. 15, 1947.
As world attention began to focus upon Communist activity on the Korean Peninsula, Marine Ground Control Intercept Squadron 2 was reactivated in El Toro, Calif., on Aug. 3, 1950. In January 1952, the squadron was attached to Marine Aircraft Group 13 and two months later moved with MAG-13 to Kaneohe Bay, Territory of Hawaii. On Feb. 15, 1954, the Squadron was redesignated as Marine Air Control Squadron 2, and four years later in November 1958, relocated to Atsugi, Japan. In March 1959, MACS-2 joined the First Marine Brigade and returned to Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. In August 1990, MACS-2 received orders to deploy to Southwest Asia in support of Operation Desert Shield, and on Sept. 6, 1990, arrived in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Establishing a Tactical Air Operations Center (TAOC) in the vicinity of King Abdul Aziz Naval Base (KAANB) , MACS-2 provided a base defense zone for KAANB and the port of Jubayl. On Dec. 29, 1990, MACS-2 displaced to Ras Al Mishab port, harbor, and airfield complex, establishing the primary TAOC eight miles west, to provide anti-air warfare capabilities in support of USMARCENT and I MEF air and ground operations. During Operation Desert Storm in February 1991, an Early Warning and Control (EW/C) site deployed with the ground combat element through the breach to Ahmed Al Jaber airfield in the Kingdom of Kuwait. Upon cessation of hostilities, MACS-2 was redeployed to MCAS Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, in March 1991, in support of Marine Aircraft Group 24, 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade.
In 1993, MACS-2 relocated to Beaufort, S.C., subordinate to Marine Aircraft Group 31. While supporting MAG-31 in 1994, MACS-2 acquired Air Traffic Control Detachments A and B. Also in 1994, MACS-2 deployed in support of exercise Display Determination in Turkey, a NATO exercise involving the integration of foreign military units with American units to include an ATC and EW/C detachment. Between 1995 and 1998, MACS-2 participated in Joint Task Force 6, also known as Operation Lone Star, a drug interdiction operation patrolling the Mexican-American border. Further drug interdiction operations included EC-7 in 1996 in Ecuador and Operation Laser Strike in 1997 conducted in Peru. ATC detachments C and D joined MACS-2 in 1998.
MACS-2 relocated once more to Cherry Point, N.C., in 1998 under Marine Air Control Group 28 where she resides today. Deployed in support of real world operations, MACS-2 sent an ATC detachment known as a Marine Air Traffic Control Mobile Team (MMT) to Kosovo with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit in 1999. In support of the ground war in Serbia, MACS-2 deployed an MMT to the country of Hungary, also in 1999. In 2001, MACS-2 sent TAOC Marines to South-West Asia to support the Air Force in Operation Southern Watch. Current operations include providing an ATC detachment to the Winter Olympics in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. MACS-2 Marines are currently training to provide combat-ready, technically and tactically proficient Marines capable of supporting any future contingency.