MCB Camp Pendleton Community

MCB Camp Pendleton
California State Driving Regulations

California State Driving Regulations

  • Under California law, a driver must not drive faster than what is safe for road and weather conditions. All areas on Camp Pendleton have posted speed limits, with a maximum speed limit in certain areas of the base of 55 mph.
  • Seat belts are required by California law and must be used while driving. Child safety restraints are required for all children until they are either 6 years old or weigh 60 pounds.
  • It is against the law in California to talk or text on a cellphone while operating a vehicle.
  • Vehicles less than 30 years old require a smog-control device as certified by the state of California. Vehicles will not be equipped with any bypass or modification to increase motor noise.
  • It is unlawful to drive under the influence of or transport an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle except in a trunk or out of the immediate vicinity of the occupants. Both California and Camp Pendleton have strict regulations regarding alcohol. Infractions can weigh heavily with civilian records, and legal implications may affect military careers or legal status.
  • Service members must have a valid driver’s license to drive in California. Out-of-state licenses are acceptable for those over 18 who are not residents of California, but if cited, a driver must be able to prove he or she is not a California resident. Service members under 18 must possess a valid driver’s license from their home state and obtain, within 60 days of entering California, a nonresident minor’s certificate issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles or a California driver’s license.
  • Family members must meet the same aforementioned requirements, except those under 18 must obtain a nonresident minor’s certificate or California driver’s license within 10 days. Those over 18 may operate a motor vehicle with a valid out-of state driver’s license, if nonresident status ismaintained.
  • All vehicles driven or moved on California highways must be registered and have the appropriate fees paid.
  • Upon registering a vehicle, owners will receive a registration certificate that must be kept in the vehicle at all times and be presented to a police officer upon request.
  • Members of the armed forces are permitted to drive in California with license plates issued to them by any state, territory or country where they were last assigned for military duty.
  • Service members may or may not be allowed to drive in California with expired out-of-state licenses, depending on their state of residence.

To find out the law for a particular state, call the Military Police traffic desk at 760-725-5991 or go to Building 1531.


Related Posts
Air Force Aid SocietyAir Force Aid Society
Humanitarian efforts are ingrained within every branch of the U.S. military. American troops go wherever they’re needed to…
red hill fuel spillred hill fuel spill
Despite such statements, surveys, and alleged effects felt throughout the community, the military continues to say the research…
The Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance program is an affordable option that can help protect you against such an…