McConnell AFB Community
The McConnell AFB area offers a wide range of educational opportunities and options. If you live on base, your children will attend the Derby Unified School District (USD) 260. Wineteer Elementary is located adjacent to base housing. Students in grades 6-12 living in base housing are bused to the Derby Sixth Grade Center, Derby Middle and Derby High. Contact the School Liaison Officer at the Airman & Family Readiness Center at 316-759-6020 or DSN 312-743-6020, for more information on other schooling options in the area.
In addition to a rich tradition of neighborhood schools serving students at the elementary (PreK-5), middle (6-8) and high school (9-12) levels, Wichita also offers numerous special programs to meet student needs. The districts schools of choice, a network of 25 magnet schools at all grade levels, enhance the options available for parents and students.
Most schools also have their own school Web site, in addition to the informational profile pages listed here.
- 48,705 students, an increase of nearly 2 percent over the last 10 years.
- Educating approximately 11 percent of all public school students in the State of Kansas, and half of all school-aged children in Sedgwick County.
- Largest district between the Mississippi River and Denver, and Dallas and the Canadian border.
- Fourth largest employer in the Wichita MSA.
- Approximately 4,000 teachers, 3,000 classified/support staff, and 240 administrators, which includes principals.
- $516 million annual budget, 74 percent of which is for salaries and benefits.
- Student body rich with diversity: 39% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic, 21% African-American, 9% multi-racial, 5% Asian, 3% American Indian.