McConnell AFB Community

McConnell AFB
Kansas vehicle registration

Kansas vehicle registration

For information about auto tags, costs, title, and registration call the Sedgwick County vehicle registration 24 hour hotline at 316-660-9110.

Military members may maintain a driver’s license in the state of their legal residence or obtain a Kansas Driver’s License. If you register your car in Kansas you must obtain a Kansas Driver’s license.

You must apply in person at one of four local vehicle tag offices to purchase your license plate (tag). If you intend to register the vehicle jointly with another person (listing it as Jane and John Doe), then all persons listed as owners must be present to sign and complete the title applications; otherwise, you must provide a notarized power of attorney from the other owners you wish to list.

All tag offices are full service operations where title work, registration renewals, handicapped placards/tags, stolen tag/decals replacement, and refund applications are available.

If you are a new resident of Kansas and plan to register your vehicle(s), you must register them within 90 days to avoid penalties. Failure to register promptly could lead to fines up to $2,500.

To register any automobile or truck under 12,000 pounds GVW or a motorcycle in Kansas, you must bring the following documents with you to any Vehicle Tag Office:

  1. The name of your vehicle insurance company and the policy number—Kansas law requires that you carry no-fault liability insurance on any vehicle except a motorized bicycle.
  2. Out-of-state—If you are a new resident who is registering a vehicle that you brought into Kansas from another state, you must present a valid vehicle title from that state upon application for Kansas title. If you are moving from a title-holding state where the lien holder has possession of the vehicle title during the term of the loan, present a valid vehicle registration from the former state and the name of our lender and their current mailing address, including zip code. The Kansas Department of Motor Vehicles will write your lender to request your title and will notify you by mail on how to proceed with inspection.
  3. A Kansas Highway Patrol (KHP) inspection slip (MVE-1) is required if the vehicle is used and has out-of-state title (not M.S.O.). The inspection verifies that your vehicle’s identification number has been checked to make sure the vehicle is not stolen. This state-required inspection requires payment of a $10 fee, cash only.
  4. Non-Resident military personnel who register their vehicles in Sedgwick County must furnish a signed military affidavit at the time of each registration or renewal to qualify for the military tax exemption. Failure to provide such affidavit at the time of registration will require full payment of personal property taxes and any refund will be forfeited. For property tax exemption to be valid, the service person who signs the affidavit must be listed on the title of the vehicle. For more information, please call 316-383-7331.


Related Posts
assault breacher vehicleassault breacher vehicle
The Assault Breacher Vehicle (ABV) is a “fully tracked combat engineer vehicle designed to breach minefields and complex…
Air Force Aid SocietyAir Force Aid Society
Humanitarian efforts are ingrained within every branch of the U.S. military. American troops go wherever they’re needed to…
red hill fuel spillred hill fuel spill
Despite such statements, surveys, and alleged effects felt throughout the community, the military continues to say the research…