McConnell AFB Community
Moving with TRICARE
Whether moving stateside or overseas, active duty families can now switch their TRICARE Prime enrollment by phone! Before you start your move, contact your losing TRICARE health care contractor to see if you need to switch to a new region. TRICARE does the rest! You must update DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) with your new address so you do not have any disruptions in service and your enrollment moves with you. Get contact information, and more TRICARE moving tips on the TRICARE website.
Your TRICARE coverage is completely portable—meaning it moves with you. You are covered worldwide—both in-transit to your new duty location and once you arrive—but depending on where you go, you may use a different TRICARE health plan option. Additionally, you may have different enrollment steps depending on which health plan option is available in your new area.
When Enrolled in a TRICARE Prime Option
The TRICARE Prime options include TRICARE Prime and TRICARE Prime Remote for stateside and TRICARE Prime Overseas and TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas for overseas. Follow these simple steps to set-up Prime coverage in your new location without a break in coverage.
- Do not disenroll from your TRICARE Prime option before you move.
- Call your losing contractor and provide information about your upcoming move; new duty station, expected date of arrival, cell phone number, valid email address, and eligible family members moving to the new location.
- Your losing contractor passes the information along to your new contractor.
- Within five days of your anticipated arrival, your new contractor will try to call/contact you to confirm your arrival and enrollment choices.
- Once you agree to the transfer, the process is complete. It could take up to four days, but you never lose TRICARE Prime/Prime Remote coverage.
There are other ways to set-up Prime in your new area:
- Before moving, visit your local TRICARE Service Center to complete an enrollment change form.
- Go online and set-up your new enrollment via the Beneficiary Web Enrollment Website
- Download and complete a TRICARE Prime Enrollment Application and PCM Change Form. Mail it to the new contractor or drop it at a lo cal TRICARE Service Center.
- Enroll when you in-process at your new duty station.
Enrollment and assignment of a new primary care manager (PCM) should occur within 30 days when moving within the same region, moving to a new region or overseas.
Update your personal information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) immediately, as your new location reflected in DEERS is the key to transferring enrollment.
Where you are moving determines which Prime option is available.