Moody AFB Community
The base had its beginning in 1940, when a group of concerned Valdosta and Lowndes County citizens began searching for a way to assist the expanding defense program. Careful investigation showed that the development of an air corp training base would be the best way to help the program. On May 14, 1941, the War Department was granted exclusive use of 9,300 acres of land by the Agriculture Department. Moody Air Force Base was named in memory of Major George Putnam Moody, an Air Force pioneer killed in May 1941, while serving with the Beech Aircraft Company in Wichita, Kansas. At the time of his death, Major Moody was working on the inspection board for the AT-10 transitional trainers that were later sent to Moody AFB. For more information visit Moody’s homepage.