Aug. 10, 1961: Station insignia, still used today, is established.
April 16, 1962: Navy’s first Aircraft Maintenance Radiography School opens at Naval Air Technical Training Unit (NATTU).
Oct. 1, 1963: A detachment of VP-45 arrives. Homeport of VP-5 changes from NAS Bermuda to NAS Jacksonville.
Jan. 1, 1964: VP-45 changes homeport from NAS Norfolk to NAS Jacksonville, assigned to PATWING-11.
March 13, 1964: First P3A “Orion” aircraft at NAS Jacksonville arrive for operational duty and take first flight with VP-45.
July 30, 1964: Patrol squadron VP-30 receives first P-3 Orion.
May 16, 1965: CPO Club building (corner of Yorktown/McFarland) is destroyed by fire.
July 14, 1966: Ground is broken for $12 million Hangar 1000, used by the patrol squadrons.
Aug. 5, 1966: Patrol squadron VP-5 retires last active duty SP-2E Neptune aircraft
Nov. 29, 1967: Final helicopter, SH-3H, is completed at Naval Air Rework Facility (NARF), ending its Helicopter Rework Program; 2,123 helicopters were reworked since 1959.
April 25, 1968: The Douglas A-1H Skyraider of VA-176 is phased out in ceremonies at NAS Jacksonville. This was the Navy’s last piston-engine carrier-based attack squadron and the last to operate the A-1 “SPAD.” NAS Jacksonville-based VA-176 is moved to NAS Oceana.
Oct. 7, 1969: Patrol squadron VP-7 is disestablished.