NAS Jacksonville Community
Before You Arrive
Moving from family, friends and familiar surroundings can sometimes be stressful. Planning ahead is one way to make your move to Jacksonville a little easier.
To ensure a place for your family to stay for the first few days, it is a good idea to make reservations in advance either at the Navy Lodge, Navy Gateway Inns & Suites or a local hotel. Orange Park is the nearest location for hotels — about 3 miles south of the base.
The Navy Lodge, on Mustin Road on NAS Jacksonville, has 102 one-bed units with fully equipped kitchens and private baths and family suites. Those under permanent change of station (PCS) orders may make reservations at any time by calling 904-772-6000 or 800-NAVY-INN (628-9466). Be sure to include your expected arrival date (check in is between 3 to 6 p.m.).
Navy Gateway Inns & Suites has 213 one-bedroom, two-bedroom and DV suites available. To make reservations, call 877-628-9233.
You can get your whole family involved in your move. Let them browse through this book, show them the maps and let them help plan the trip. This can make the difference between sharing an adventure and coping with frustration.
A checklist of other items that need to be done before moving day follows:
- Notify post office of forwarding address.
- Send change of address cards to magazines, credit card companies and others as needed.
- Stop any home delivery services and settle bills.
- Notify utility companies.
- Transfer insurance on car, home, etc., and check to see if personal possessions are covered during the move.
- Notify your children’s schools of the move and arrange to get or forward their school records.
- Notify your clergyman and obtain any necessary documents of birth, baptism, etc., that you may need.
- Get records from any private doctors or dentists whom you have been using.