NB Kitsap Community
Marine Corps Security Force Battalion, Bangor
Marine Corps Security Force Battalion, Bangor traces its lineage from establishment of the former Marine Barracks, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard on September 16, 1896. The barracks grew steadily with the shipyard. Marine Barracks, Bangor was established in January 1964, with the activation of the Ammunition Depot. The barracks was re-designated Marine Barracks, Naval Torpedo Station, Keyport, although it physically remained on board the Bangor annex. On February 1, 1977, with the activation of Submarine Base, Bangor, the barracks was re-designated Marine Barracks, Bangor.
On February 1, 1987, with Marine Corps reorganization of security forces, Marine Barracks, Bangor was re-designated as Marine Corps Security Force Company, Bangor. On July 2, 2008, the company was re-designated as Marine Corps Security Force Battalion.
Currently, Marine Corps Security Force battalion, Bangor is the largest Marine Corps Security Force Battalion in the world. Marine Corps Security Force Battalions are independent commands, capable of self-administration, organized to support and accomplish their own particular mission. Marine Corps Security Force Battalion, Bangor is in direct support of Strategic Weapons Facility, Pacific. Since its reorganization in 1977, the battalion has been awarded a Navy Unit Commendation, three Meritorious Unit Commendations and a Commandant of the Marine Corps Certificate of Commendation.
The Marine Corps Security Force is active in the local community with many key events open to (and directed at) the public. The security forces also assist and support the annual Toys for Tots drive and aid those in need through food drives and other significant community programs.