NB Kitsap Community
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility is focused on providing customers with high-quality, timely and cost-efficient maintenance, modernization, and technical and logistical support. PSNS & IMF has sites in Bremerton, Bangor, Everett, San Diego, Japan and wherever its workers are needed to fix ships.
PSNS & IMF is under the Commander, Pacific Fleet, and is operated by Naval Sea Systems Command. The depth of skill and experience in the command’s highly trained workforce continues to pay dividends to the fleet. PSNS & IMF personnel maintain and modernize the Navy’s fleet throughout the world, and it is a command that streamlines all efforts and actions to support the mechanics’ nonstop execution of workflow, thus increasing productive capacity.
PSNS & IMF, Bremerton site, is situated on 179 acres of property bordered on the south by Sinclair Inlet, on the west by Naval Base Kitsap, and on the north and east perimeters by the city of Bremerton. The Bremerton site is the Pacific Northwest’s largest naval shore facility, employing approximately 13,600 civilians and military personnel, and one of Washington State’s largest industrial installations. And, as NAVSEA’s largest repair facility, PSNS & IMF is unique in its ability to perform work on all Navy platforms, including surface ships, aircraft carriers and submarines. It is also the Navy’s sole facility authorized to recycle end-of-life nuclear-powered submarines and ships after designing and developing the process in the late 1970’s.
The Bangor site provides industrial support for the incremental upkeep and repair of Trident submarines and the Trident Planned Equipment Replacement Program. The facility’s industrial refit operation leads the command in training Sailors in the journeyman mechanical rates on critical skills to ensure they are fully proficient in performing essential at-sea repairs when they return to the fleet.
Highly skilled production workers in a number of trades execute ship maintenance, giving ships a like-new environment. Engineers and planners keep their eyes to the future, using innovative thinking, planning and design concepts to keep America’s Navy No. 1 in the world.
While both locations employ the latest techniques on ships in the fleet, another diverse group of professionally trained engineers, technicians, mechanics and contractors are busily engaged in providing, maintaining and modernizing highly technical facilities and shop equipment that supports this work.
The command’s standard of excellence and professionalism is evidenced by the numerous awards and “well-done” messages regularly received from ships and submarines following work completion. Additionally, the Bremerton and Bangor sites have been recognized by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration as VPP Star Sites.
A Look Back
PSNS & IMF, Bremerton Site
In 1891, the U.S. Navy invested less than $10,000 on 190 acres of Pacific Northwest wilderness and established Naval Station Puget Sound. This happened because of growing national interest in the Pacific Ocean and a new American naval policy of a mobile battleship fleet. Surveyed by Lt. Charles Wilkes in 1841, the Puget Sound offered protected, deep-water port sites. In 1888, a Navy commission, led by the noted naval strategist Alfred Mahan, was appointed to select a site for a Pacific Coast naval station north of the 42nd parallel. Lt. Ambrose Wyckoff finalized the purchase of the original 190 acres for $50 an acre. He formally dedicated the opening of the (then) Naval Station Puget Sound as its founding commandant the same day, Sept. 16, 1891.
The first dry dock construction at Naval Station Puget Sound started in October 1892 and was finished in 1896. With the beginning of the Spanish American War in 1898, the Battleship Oregon sailed from the station 17,000 miles to take part in the naval engagement at Santiago de Cuba. The fact that the Oregon arrived ready to fight proved the value of a West Coast naval base and established Naval Station Puget Sound’s reputation throughout the fleet. In 1901, Naval Station Puget Sound was upgraded to Navy Yard, Puget Sound and until World War II, the Navy Yard was the only West Coast battleship repair facility.
During World War I, many new ships were constructed, including 25 subchasers, two minesweepers, seven oceangoing tugs, two ammunition ships and thousands of small boats. Between 1920 and 1940, the Navy Yard improved its capabilities, enabling it to serve a key role in repairing battle-damaged ships of the fleet and Allies during World War II. Following the U.S. entry into the war, the facility repaired and modernized the five surviving battleships from the attack on Pearl Harbor. Throughout the war, the command repaired, overhauled and refitted hundreds of U.S. and Allied ships, including 26 battleships, 18 aircraft carriers, 13 cruisers and 79 destroyers. The Navy Yard serviced nearly one-third of the 1,006 ships in the U.S. fleet. Additionally, a number of new cruisers and destroyers were built there as well. The workforce reached more than 33,000 people by 1945. At the end of World War II, the Navy Yard had its third name change, as it was designated a naval shipyard, thus becoming Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.
During the 1950s, the shipyard’s major effort was the extensive program of converting aircraft carriers’ conventional flight decks to angle decks as the Navy entered the era of jet-powered aircraft. With the start of the Korean conflict, the shipyard was also busy with the reactivation of ships and the construction of two ships of a new class of guided-missile frigate: Coontz (DLGN 9) and King (DLGN 10). Between 1917 and 1970, 85 major ships were constructed at the shipyard, including the largest naval vessels built on the West Coast: Sacramento-class combat support ships.
In the early 1960s, the shipyard’s mission was transitioned from building to a focus on repair and major maintenance of nuclear submarines, including the overhaul of fleet ballistic missile submarines.
By 1998, that initial $9,500 investment had grown and reorganized into two military bases: Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, now a $2 billion ship maintenance, modernization and repair facility; and Naval Station Bremerton, a world-class homeport for the U.S. Navy fleet.
The shipyard is proud of its history as a naval presence on the West Coast and has the distinction of having a listed National Historic Landmark District within its gates. The district contains 11 industrial buildings, five dry docks, five piers, the iconic hammerhead crane and numerous pieces of historical machinery.
On May 15, 2003, the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and the Naval Intermediate Maintenance Facility, Pacific Northwest, consolidated into one command, thus creating PSNS & IMF. The consolidation improves fleet readiness by allowing the Navy to accomplish the highest-priority, real-time ship maintenance requirements while achieving the most maintenance efforts possible for the tax dollar.
In addition to the PSNS & IMF consolidation, another opportunity to further improve service to the fleet arose in 2003. Surface ship maintenance organizations, including the Supervisor of Shipbuilding, Puget Sound; portions of the Commander, Naval Surface Group; Pacific Northwest Maintenance Staff; and Fleet Technical Support Center, Pacific Det. Everett joined PSNS & IMF in standing up the Northwest Regional Maintenance Center. The NWRMC now provides maintenance for many types of Navy vessels.
PSNS & IMF, Bangor Site, Naval Intermediate Maintenance Facility, Pacific Northwest
Naval Intermediate Maintenance Facility, Pacific Northwest, was established July 31, 1981, as the primary maintenance facility for the West Coast Trident submarine fleet, a year before the arrival of USS OHIO (SSBN 726) — the first of the Tridents to be based in the Pacific. In 1998, IMF, then known as Trident Refit Facility, Bangor, consolidated with Shore Intermediate Maintenance Activity, Everett, and its detachment in Bremerton, and became IMF. On May 15, 2003, IMF consolidated with Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and became Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility. It retained its major command status as the IMF portion of PSNS & IMF, incorporating approximately 600 military service members.
IMF, with its fully integrated workforce of civilian and military personnel, operates refit piers, repair shops and a dry dock in the Pacific Northwest. The Delta Pier at Bangor, so named because of its triangular configuration, can support five SSBNs at one time. It is one of the largest dry docks built by the Navy and is the only dry dock in the world constructed parallel to the shoreline. IMF has expertise in hull, mechanical, electrical, electronics and weapons systems repair and meets the fleet’s maintenance and repair needs with on-time, cost-effective and quality service.
IMF is the leader in training Sailors in critical skills within the journeyman mechanical rates using the Navy Afloat Maintenance Training Strategy program to ensure that essential at-sea repairs and refurbishments of major systems can be completed without the need to return to port for corrective maintenance.
Congressional and Public Affairs Office for PSNS & IMF
The command’s Congressional and Public Affairs officer is the official spokesperson for PSNS & IMF. This office serves as liaison to the public, media and congressional representatives, coordinating special events and publishing the PSNS & IMF employee newsletter, SALUTE, now in its 75th year of publication. The Congressional and Public Affairs Office may be contacted at 476-7111 or email@example.com