Chapel Of Four Chaplains
Although not aligned with the Navy or DOD programs at the Philadelphia Naval Yard Annex, there is nothing more representative of military service and sacrifice than the Chapel of Four Chaplains. Located on the east side of the Yard, the chapel is dedicated to four U.S. Army chaplains who gave up their life jackets and prayed together when their transport ship, the SS Dorchester, was torpedoed 80 miles south of Greenland Feb. 3, 1943. The chaplains came from different faiths and backgrounds. John P. Washington was a Catholic priest from Kearny, New Jersey; Rabbi Alexander D. Goode was a native of York, Pennsylvania; Clark V. Poling was a minister in the Reformed Church in America at the First Reformed Church in Schenectady, New York; and George L. Fox, a decorated World War l veteran, was a Methodist minister in Gilman, Vermont. Today the Four Chaplains Memorial Foundation promotes “unity without uniformity” by encouraging goodwill and cooperation among all people. The organization achieves its mission by advocating for and honoring people whose deeds symbolize the legacy of the Four Chaplains aboard the SS Dorchester in 1943. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215-218-1307.