Programs and Services
If a permanent change of station, or PCS, is in your future, you may have questions about moving. As part of the Military and Family Support Center, the Relocation Assistance Program provides services and resources to help make this transition as smooth as possible. Here’s what they offer:
- Individual PCS planning — Most relocation programs offer one-on-one consultation. In particular, those making their first military move, those making their first overseas move or those with challenging or complex situations should contact the relocation assistance office.
- MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and Plan My Move — For managing and planning your move, you may want to take advantage of these DoD-sponsored online relocation tools. You can estimate expenses, locate forms for housing and property shipments, and create a moving calendar.
- Loan closet — Where available, loan closets offer basic household goods while your personal property is in transit. Typical items include pots and pans, dishes, silverware, irons, ironing boards and infant or toddler car seats. Generally, towels and bed linens are not available, so these should be packed in your express shipment.
- Workshops and briefings — Workshops vary from installation to installation, but you may find classes on purchasing real estate and renting, budgeting and finance, moving with children or general moving preparation.
- Pre-departure briefings — These briefings may be called Smooth Move or PCS Briefing, and they provide essential information to prevent you from making uninformed and costly decisions before your move.
- Settling-in services — Welcome wagon services, local area tours (with child care sometimes provided), or basic household items to use until your goods arrive may be a part of your installation’s settling-in services. Overseas arrival services may include introductory language classes and cultural awareness training.
- Foreign-born spouse support — Whether your question concerns immigration and naturalization, learning the English language or how to use local transportation, the relocation program provides assistance, classes and referrals.
- Emergency assistance — From time to time, emergencies occur while moving. The Relocation Assistance Program office has the resources to provide emergency financial assistance and referrals.
Installation Specific Information
The Relocation Assistance Program (RAP) consists of a variety of agencies that assist personnel during relocation. They include Civilian and Military Personnel Flights, Traffic Management Office (TMO), Housing, Financial Services (Military/Travel Pay), Airman and Family Readiness Center, Lodging Office, Legal Claims Office, Chapel, Clinic, Child Development Center, and Youth Services. Our goal is to provide accurate information and assistance to help all military personnel and their families make a smooth transition from one location to another.
Offutt AFB conducts a comprehensive Right Start briefing normally once a month. Members are provided a complete introduction to the Offutt community and surrounding area. Spouse attendance is highly encouraged.
The Airman and Family Readiness Center provides information and services to relocating personnel and their families. In addition, Offutt offers a monthly Smooth Move class. Members are introduced to various agencies that provide them with specific information and resources to prepare them for their move. Regardless of how many times you have moved, there is always something to learn.
Loan Closet – Offutt does not have a loan closet. Recommend you pack cooking supplies and other household goods that you think you may need to set up your new home in your express baggage. Possibilities for finding needed equipment on base include the Airmen’s Attic, 402-294-2399, hours of operation are Mon, Wed, 12:00 pm – 4:00pm: and the 1st Saturday of the month 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. Equipment Rental, 402-294-4049: or the Thrift Shoppe, 402-294-6879.
If your spouse will be looking for work once you get settled in, have him or her visit the Airman and Family Readiness Center for the services of the Career Focus Program.