P3 Community

Officer Accessioning Program

Officer Accessioning Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Who is the primary point of contact for my Officer Accessions application?

A: Your Officer Accessions Careers Counselor (OACC) will assist you in preparation of your packet. Call or send an e-mail to your OACC and he/she will contact you with all the information you will need. Click here for the e-mail and telephone numbers for the OACC is under the Contacts section of this web site. Use the checklist to guide you through this process.

Q:  What is the standard on letter of recommendation?

A:  Letters of recommendation are a very important part of the application. At a minimum, your packet should contain company and battalion commander letters of recommendations. Additionally, the company and battalion commander recommendations must be from your current chain of command unless you have less than 90 days with your current chain of command. The letters should be specific and quantifiable. If you have received NCOER’s you may want to use some of the strong bullets as a starting point in drafting the memorandums. Do not use a form letter that uses generic or flowery sentences. The letters should emphasize your technical skills and leadership abilities.

Q:  Can I apply for more than 1 branch?

A:  In block 6 of the DA Form 61 you can list up to three options, BUT YOU MUST MEET THE CRITERIA for all listed. List the branch in order of preference, because the packet is boarded with your first preference and if you are selected the packet is not boarded again. If not selected, your packet is boarded a second time for your second choice.

Q:  How do I know if I need a moral waiver?

A: If you check YES in block 26 of the DA Form 61, indicating you have been arrested, charged, cited, held, or detained for any reason at any time, then a waiver is required. You must list all juvenile offenses, Article 15s, courts-martial or traffic fines of more than $250. Example: You were cited for vandalism while in high school but the charge was dismissed, you still require a waiver because you were cited for this offense.

Q:  What is the standard for the security clearance?

A: Contact your OACC or unit security manager. The security manager must sign the memorandum, which will indicate the type of clearance, type of investigation, the date the clearance was granted or to whom the periodic reinvestigation was submitted. The memorandum MUST be signed by the OACC or unit security manager.  The OACC will also assist you if you’re having any problem.

Q:  What is the standard for the DA Form 2-1?

A: It is your responsibility to ensure this form is up-to- date and accurate. Only personnel who are authorized to update this form may make typed or pen and ink changes. Ensure the awards on the DA Form 2-1 agree with your DA photo. If you recently tested to raise your GT score, ensure the new score is posted. Your civilian education entry must agree with your transcripts. Also ensure item 35 correctly shows your assignment history.

Q: What is the standard for the official DA Photo?

A: The photo is a very important part of your packet. This is the first item of your application the board sees and it helps to form the first impression. Wear only permanent decorations. Have someone look you over before taking the photo and, if possible, ask someone to go with you to ensure your uniform is correct in every way. A long sleeve shirt and four-in- hand tie is recommended for males. Civilians must wear dress clothes.

Q:  What is the standard for the physical exam?

A: It must be in accordance with Chapter 2, AR 40-501. Physicals taken for appointment in non-aviation branch must state for Officer Appointment. Physical examination must include a HIV and Drug and Alcohol test results. Your Retention NCO will help you get an appointment to get a proper physical. Civilian personnel do not have to have a physical in their application to be considered for appointment. But they should have a statement in their packet stating that they understand that they must take a Chapter 2, commissioning physical, if they are recommended for appointment by the DA Special Review Board. Physical cannot be more than 2 years old.

Q: What is the standard for the Army physical fitness test (APFT)?

A: You or your OACC  must contact someone in your unit to administer the APFT. This APFT will follow the regulation very strictly, so we caution you to get in shape.  Without exception, candidates are expected to meet the Army standard APFT, if you cannot pass the APFT, you will be sent home from your Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC).  Civilian candidates, are not require to take an APFT for direct appointment application, however during their schooling they will have to pass the APFT.

Q:   What if I have not complete my degree?

A: If the applicant does not have a baccalaureate degree he or she must possess a SAT minimum score of 850 or ACT score of 19 and the SAT and ACT scores must not be older than 10 years on board date. However, you must complete your degree before you can be promoted to captain.

Q: Can I apply if I am mobilized?

A: If you are a Soldier that is within the 6 months of REFRAD or Demobilization, yes you can apply for the ODC program.

Q:  Can I apply if I belong to any other Armed Forces branch?

A: Yes you can, you must complete the conditional release DD Form 368 and submitted with the ODC packet, if you are selected then you must continue the transfer process for the USAR.

Q: Can I apply if I am a civilian?

A: Yes you can.

Q:  What happens if I am selected?

A: HRC Fort Knox will provide instructions and guidance for civilian applicant and Soldiers who are appointed and mobilized.

Q:  What happen if I am not selected?

A: If you are not selected by the first board that considers your application, (non selected), you can reapply with a completely new application, one (1) year after the date in block 42 of the DA Form 61.


Age: Minimum age is 18. Maximum age 41 years and 6 months at time of scheduled board. Presently there are no restrictions to the maximum age for which an applicant can submit a waiver request.

Citizenship: All applicants must be a US citizen or have lawfully entered the United States for permanent residence.  An applicant is exempt if he or she is currently serving or have served previously in the Armed Forces.

Foreign nationals living in the United States, or its possessions who have not applied for permanent residence (non-declared alien) may submit application for initial appointment. However, it will be with the provision that if accepted, application for permanent residence will be made.

Mental Qualifications: Must have a GT score of 110 or higher.

Applicant from another branch of the Armed Forces must submit evidence of attainment of a qualifying GT score 110 or higher. To be obtained on Recruiter Eligibility Data Display (REDD).

If required test scores are not available, arrangements will be made to administer the entire test battery.

Above are not applicable for appointment of a former commissioned officer applying for reappointment as a commissioned officer.

Security Requirements: Applicant will have as a minimum, a interim secret security clearance prior to be tendered an appointment.

Must submit, E-QIP Security form with the finger print card, FD form 258, if applicant is missing security clearance.

Applicant for appointment as commissioned with assignment to Military Intelligence must have a Top Secret clearance and will be informed of the time required to obtain clearances.

Special back ground investigation and final clearance may take up to 12 months to complete.

Applicants can be field boarded without an approved clearance as long as the E-QIP Security form has been submitted with the fingerprint cards. Packets can be HQDA boarded with an interim secret.

Education: Baccalaureate degree. Applicants with less than a 4-year degree must submit all college transcripts and the results of either ACT (19) or SAT (850). The submitted test can’t be over 10 years old.

Moral: Each applicant will be of good moral character. Moral waivers will be submitted with the application and processed by HRC-Fort Knox, KY upon receipt of application. Court documentation will be submitted with waiver request.

Leadership: Applicants will possess traits as potential leaders and have the ability to deal effectively with people. Such traits will be evaluated in terms of applicant’s NCOERs, letters of recommendation, background and experience.

Medical:  Medical requirements are prescribed in AR 40-501, chapter 2, and must meet the retention weight standards of AR 600-9.

For flight training a type B medical examination is needed to meet class la, AR 40- 501 chapter 4 and 8

All applicants will submit an approved chapter 2 physical and any waiver requests with application.

Waivers: All waivers will be submitted with the packet and processed by HRC-Fort Knox, KY once the packet is received.



  • Have at least 60 credit hours of college
  • Not older than 40 years of age
  • Completed the appropriate NCOES.
  • NCOERs showing leadership and supervisory experience.

For more information on Army Reserve Officer or to complete a application packet, contact your local Officer Accession Career Counselor.

Related Posts
A UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter assigned to Task Force Eagle Assault, 5-101 Combat Aviation Brigade, flies over the rugged terrain of eastern Afghanistan, July 28, 2015. The helicopters and crews of Eagle Assault provide critical air movement of troops and air weapons support to Train Advise Assist Command-East.A UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter assigned to Task Force Eagle Assault, 5-101 Combat Aviation Brigade, flies over the rugged terrain of eastern Afghanistan, July 28, 2015. The helicopters and crews of Eagle Assault provide critical air movement of troops and air weapons support to Train Advise Assist Command-East.
Soldiers primarily are called upon to defend physical land on the battlefield for America and its allies. But…
states with no income taxstates with no income tax
There are a lot of things to consider and during this time, living in states with no income…
military taxesmilitary taxes
While military taxes typically only apply to federally taxed base pay. There are some states that require income…