Tobyhanna Army DepotCommunity
The communications systems on the AN/MSQ-135 mobile tower systems are being upgraded at Tobyhanna Army Depot. (Photo by Jacqueline Boucher, September 2016)
The depot has served the nation since opening in 1953. However, the Army has maintained a nearly continuous presence in Tobyhanna since 1912, when the site was first used as a field artillery training camp. Other uses include a Civilian Conservation Corps camp, artillery training of West Point cadets, and in World War II, a prisoner-of-war camp and storage point for gliders used in the D-Day landings at Normandy in 1944. For a full history of Tobyhanna Army Depot, visit the depot’s website at www.tobyhanna.army.mil/about/history/history.html.