Washington DC MTDCommunity
Named after Lt. Gen. Ambrose Power Hill, a Virginia native and distinguished commander during the Civil War, Fort A. P. Hill was established on June 11, 1941. In its first year, the installation was used as a maneuver area for the II Army Corps and for three activated National Guard divisions from Mid-Atlantic states. In autumn 1942, Fort A. P. Hill was the staging area for the headquarters and corps troops of Major General Patton’s Task Force A, which invaded French Morocco in North Africa. During the early years of World War II, the post continued to be a training site for corps and division-sized units. Commencing in 1944, field training for Officer Candidate School and enlisted replacements from nearby Forts Lee, Eustis and Belvoir were conducted.
Today, Fort A. P. Hill is a training and maneuver center, providing realistic joint and combined arms training. All branches of the Armed Forces train on Fort A. P. Hill and the installation even hosts training from foreign allies. Whether it’s providing support for a mobilization or helping units train for deployment, Fort A. P. Hill’s state-of-the-art training facilities, ranges and professional support staff continue to ensure America’s Armed Forces have the edge needed to win in the 21st Century operational environment.
The installation has also hosted the Boy Scouts of America National Jamboree in 1981, 1985, 1989, 1993, 1997, 2001 and 2005. Approximately 42,000 Boy Scouts and Scout leaders are expected for the upcoming jamboree in 2010.