Washington DC MTDCommunity
Montgomery County, MD
In 1776, Frederick County was split into three counties, one of which would become Montgomery County, named after Revolutionary War general, Richard Montgomery.
The county is Maryland’s most populated and affluent, which is a result of being adjacent to the nation’s capital, Washington D.C. Its 479 square miles are composed of small, rolling hills.
Patuxent River State Park
—Patuxent River State Park is located along the upper 12 miles of the Patuxent River and bridges Montgomery County and Howard County. The park is comprised of 6,700 acres of farmlands and natural areas. A portion of the park is a state wild lands area. Primary recreation uses for the park are fishing, hiking and horseback riding, though hunting is allowed in designated areas.
Seneca Creek State Park
—Encompassing 14 miles of riverfront along the Seneca Creek and a total of 6,300 acres, the Seneca Creek State Park winds it way to the Potomac River. One of the main features of the park is the 90-acre Clopper Lake, which is surrounded by forests and fields with a number of scenic areas. The park is a popular destination for hikers, picnickers, boaters, fishers and cross-country skiers. Hunting is allowed in designated areas.
The park also contains a number of historic attractions. The Black Rock Mill is a partially restored mill complete with exhibits. The Seneca Schoolhouse is a restored 19th century one-room schoolhouse which was originally built for the children of the workers at the Seneca Sandstone quarries.
Strathmore Hall Arts Center
—This building from 1900 is an excellent example of historical renovation and adaptive use. Once a private mansion, Strathmore Hall has been restored and now hosts a myriad of different functions ranging from concerts to private parties.
—White’s Ferry is the last functioning ferry on the Potomac River. Since their initial development, ferries have been used to carry people and their vehicles across the river between Maryland and Virginia. White’s Ferry offers modern-day commuters a chance to see what commuting meant in days gone past.
—Designed by John Russell Pope, the architect of the Jefferson Memorial, the Woodend Mansion is an early 20th century Georgian Revival home. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the mansion now serves as the headquarters of the Audubon Naturalist Society and is open to the public on weekdays.