Washington DC MTDCommunity
Washington D.C. Metro
Washington D.C. was founded on July 16, 1790 based on a plan by world renowned architect and urban planner Pierre Charles L’Enfant. The site for the new capital city was picked by its namesake, the first president of the United States, George Washington. The 68.3 square miles that compose Washington D.C. were carved out of Maryland and Virginia, creating a one-of-a-kind federal district. The district is ultimately governed by Congress, but much of the day-to-day administrative and routine work is left to an elected mayor and a small municipal government.
All three branches of the U.S. Federal Government are based out of locations in Washington D.C. as well as most federal agencies. Washington D.C. also serves as the headquarters for countless international and national institutions including the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and the Organization of American States.
Washington contains many national landmarks and other points of interest, making it one of the most popular tourist destinations within the United States. The National Mall, at the center of Washington, is perhaps the biggest draw. This open area connects the White House and the United States Capitol with numerous monuments in between, including the Washington Monument, the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials, the National World War II Memorial and the Vietnam and Korean War Veterans Memorials. Other major points of interest in Washington D.C. include the world famous Smithsonian Institution, the National Air and Space Museum, the National Museum of Natural History and the National Zoo. The Library of Congress and the National Archives should not be missed, as together they house thousands of documents which detail America’s history—most notably the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution.
Anacostia Naval Station
Now joint base with Bolling Air Force Base.
The Anacostia Naval Station neighbors the north end of Bolling Air Force Base along the Anacostia River. The Naval Station is home to the Defense Information Systems Agency, White House Communications Agency and the Navy Housing Office. Also located here is a Secret Service-controlled facility functioning as the remote mail center for the White House.
The main tenant organization located here at Anacostia Naval Station is the Marine Helicopter Squadron One, which is solely dedicated to presidential helicopter support. The facility is staffed with personnel from the Marine Corps Air Facility at Quantico in Virginia. The facility is equipped with everything needed to efficiently carry out its mission of providing safe and secure presidential helicopter travel. This includes hangers, landing pads, underground fuel storage, living quarters and aviation ground support equipment.
Bolling Air Force Base
Now joint base with Anacostia Naval Station.
The base officially opened on July 1, 1918, and was named in honor of the first high-ranking air service officer killed in World War I, Colonel Raynal C. Bolling, who died on March 26, 1916.
Bolling rapidly grew during 1939 through 1945, as it once again met the challenge of a world war. During World War II, Bolling served as a training and organization base for personnel and units going overseas and it became the aerial gateway to the nation’s capital.
Today, Bolling Air Force Base focuses on operations support with an emphasis on wartime readiness and wartime customer support. Bolling is home to the 11th Wing, “The Chief’s Own.” The 11th Wing is the sole manager of all Air Force activities which support Headquarters Air Force and other Air Force units throughout the National Capital Region, along with more than 150 countries throughout the world.
The worldwide responsibility of the 11th Wing is to provide major command-level manpower, personnel, programming, budgeting support and the Uniform Code of Military Justice to all elements of the Air Force.
Now joint base with Fort Myer and Henderson Hall.
Fort Lesley J. McNair, along with Fort Myer in Virginia, serves as the “showcase” for the Army in the National Capital Region. Third only to West Point and Carlisle Barracks in length of service, Fort McNair has been in service for more than 200 years. The fort started in 1791 as a major site for defending the nation’s new capital. Approximately 90 percent of the buildings on the fort’s 100
acres were built or rebuilt by 1908, including the nation’s first federal penitentiary and a Civil War- era hospital for treating the war’s wounded.
Maj. Walter Reed, for whom the Walter Reed Medical Center is named, worked and died here. His research work at the fort contributed to the discovery of the cause of malaria.
Fort McNair has been the headquarters of the U.S. Army Military District of Washington since 1966 and home of the National Defense University since 1977. Other units on post are the 67th Explosive Ordinance Detachment and a platoon of the MDW Military Police Company. Fort McNair is the home of several general and flag officers, and by tradition, the Army’s number two officer, the Vice Chief of Staff.
By the summer of 1941, the War Department work force in the Washington D.C. area numbered more than 24,000 civilian and military personnel which were housed in 17 buildings and was expected to reach 30,000 by the beginning of 1942. Providing office space for the workers was part of the military construction mission of the Quartermaster Corps’ Construction Division.
Completed in January 1943, the Pentagon consolidated the 17 buildings of the War Department under one roof. Today the Pentagon serves as the headquarters for the Department of Defense and, despite being only five stories tall, is one of the world’s largest office buildings in terms of floor space.
With more than 23,000 military and civilian employees, along with 3,000 non-defense support personnel, the Pentagon is a city within itself. Perhaps the most amazing feature of the building itself is its efficiency-based design. One can walk from one point in the building to any other point in less than seven minutes.
The Pentagon houses all six departments of the Department of Defense. These include the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, the Marine Corps, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the office of the Secretary of Defense.
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Now joint base with National Military Medical Center.
Named after Maj. Walter Reed in honor of his efforts battling typhoid and yellow fever, the Walter Reed Army Medical Center has been dedicated to the health of our nation’s servicemen and women for nearly 100 years. The Walter Reed General Hospital first opened its doors on May 1, 1909, and was founded on the basis of integrating patient care, teaching and research.
During its nearly 100 years of service, the Walter Reed Medical Center has added numerous tenant institutions in its efforts to continue providing world-class medical service to the military community. A few of the more notable on-site institutions are the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, and the Army Physical Disability Agency. Today, the Walter Reed Army Medical Center is the largest and best-known military medical center in the world.
When combined with Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center at Ft. Meade, Md. and Dewitt Army Community Hospital at Ft. Belvoir, Va., Walter Reed Army Medical Center can provide a comprehensive range of services for patients under the partnership of the Walter Reed Health Care System. Everything from routine primary care to the most sophisticated, cutting-edge specialty care is provided in this patient-focused system.
Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center focuses on providing routine and acute primary care as well as a number of specialty care services including vascular and gynecologic outpatient surgical procedures. DeWitt Army Community Hospital is the only military inpatient facility with a 24-hour emergency room in the area. The hospital focuses on providing select specialty care including OB/GYN, orthopedics and a behavioral health hospitalization program for troubled youths.
Walter Reed Army Medical Center provides some of the most sophisticated services available in the world with top-ranked academic professionals offering cardiovascular care, neurosurgery and organ transplants.
Washington Navy Yard
Commissioned in 1799 by the country’s first Secretary of the Navy, the Washington Navy Yard is the U.S. Navy’s oldest shore establishment. The Navy Yard occupies land that was originally set aside by President George Washington for use by the Federal Government. Now dedicated as a Category II Landmark by the Joint Committee on Landmarks, the Navy Yard has performed a number of functions throughout its 200 plus years of service.
During the Yard’s early years, it became the Navy’s largest shipbuilding and ship-fitting facility. Twenty-two different types of vessels were constructed here, ranging from small 70-foot gunboats to large 246-foot steam frigates. The historic USS Constitution was docked here in 1812 preparing for combat action. In 1886, the Yard was designated as the only ordnance manufacturing facility in the Navy. By World War II, the Yard was the largest naval ordnance manufacturing plant in the world. Weapons designed and built here were used in every war the United States fought in until the 1960s.
Known as the “Quarterdeck of the Navy,” the Navy Yard has long served as a diplomatic face for the U.S. Navy. It was here that the first Japanese ambassadors were received in 1860. The Navy Yard is also where the body of the Unknown Soldier from World War I was received and where Charles Lindbergh ended his famous transatlantic flight in 1927.
Today, despite the loss of its ordnance manufacturing duties, the Washington Navy Yard continues to serve as the Headquarters for the Naval District Washington.